Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone get the feeling gus was stitched up?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
no, not at all

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Surely it would have been better to let him go to another club and get some compo ? we may have lost £2M plus all the costs of the suspension/disciplinary hearings etc. So no, we lost out.

Not really. TB probably weighed up the odds and decided that the real cost of not being promoted (worth circa £95m) far outweighed the £2m compensation.

Realistically, changing manager that late in the season could have seriously de-railed our playoffs push. Don't forget that we were unbeaten to the end of the season from that point!

I think the club were always going to get rid of him this summer after that phone call and TB has shown his ruthless side. If you play with fire you may get burnt and Gus got totally scorched.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Based on what Tony Bloom implied tonight then Gus clearly triggered the original issue. We don't know the exact details but it would seem reasonable for the Club to expect Gus to honour his contract, at least until the end of last season while we were on the brink of the play offs etc.

This might help explain Gus's body language and lack of passion on the touchline in the play offs plus the 'hitting the ceiling' comment afterwards. Plus his alleged comments about not dealing with the retained list because he probably wont be here etc. This all followed his series of indiscrete comments about a lack of budget and his interest in other clubs. Plus we don't know what else went on behind closed doors. Gus has some questions to answer.

I cannot see this enhancing Gus's reputation in the football community. But I'm sure he has ambitions to manage again and knowing how fickle things can be he will probably walk into another role soon. But whether he will enjoy the full trust of those around him is another matter.

It would be naïve to think he would not use the Albion as a stepping stone in his own career but is interesting that someone with all the good things going on at the Albion was prepared to walk away when on the brink of glory. I guess there would have been plenty of managerial candidates out there who would leap at the opportunity to manage The Albion so does make you wonder what sort of deal Gus had been offered that would make him want to walk.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Based on what Tony Bloom implied tonight then Gus clearly triggered the original issue. We don't know the exact details but it would seem reasonable for the Club to expect Gus to honour his contract, at least until the end of last season while we were on the brink of the play offs etc.

This might help explain Gus's body language and lack of passion on the touchline in the play offs plus the 'hitting the ceiling' comment afterwards. Plus his alleged comments about not dealing with the retained list because he probably wont be here etc. This all followed his series of indiscrete comments about a lack of budget and his interest in other clubs. Plus we don't know what else went on behind closed doors. Gus has some questions to answer.

I cannot see this enhancing Gus's reputation in the football community. But I'm sure he has ambitions to manage again and knowing how fickle things can be he will probably walk into another role soon. But whether he will enjoy the full trust of those around him is another matter.

It would be naïve to think he would not use the Albion as a stepping stone in his own career but is interesting that someone with all the good things going on at the Albion was prepared to walk away when on the brink of glory. I guess there would have been plenty of managerial candidates out there who would leap at the opportunity to manage The Albion so does make you wonder what sort of deal Gus had been offered that would make him want to walk.

Spot on

The Grub

Nov 14, 2004
Hurstpierpoint
Yes, possibly I do. Although I really don't want to pass judgement. It really annoys me that everyone can be so sure they know its Gus who was in the wrong. It may well prove to be true but until then all we know is that he did a great job and took us far. That is fact. What is not fact is what happened this season and why Gus and the others were suspended. I'm sure it will all come out in time and then I will feel able to make my decision. Until then I will remember how happy Gus has made us feel over the last few years.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So there are STILL some idiots who believe Gus was badly treated. Amazing. Why not support your club and its fantastic chairman rather than the big-mouthed egotistical liar? Just a suggestion.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Stitched up by his own ego, went a step too far and fell off the cliff, probably thought he could fly just before he hit the ground.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The more we hear the more it looks like a jobs been done on mr poyet,i'll never forget what did for this club:clap2:

Yes. Always looked like that to me.

Manager and Chairman fall out, Chairman wins. It was as simple as that IMHO, the rest was just the club trying to sack him rather than pay up his contract.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Go back to your wonderful idea of buying trains

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he was, he probably supplied the needle and the thread.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
No he wasn't, looks like a lot went on behind the scenes we don't know about, but from what Tony Bloom has said it could have been the opposite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here