Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else have doubts about Oscar being the right man to take us forward?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Have to say some of the football under him has been completely dull and the lack of goals is a worry despite him saying he wants us to play attacking football. We often go through 90 minutes of football creating just one or two chances in 90 mins. Yesterday was actually better in terms of performance and entertainment.

His signings haven't been exactly decent either.

Kemy Agustien - Complete waste of time.

Keith Andrews - Starting to look a poor signing after a promising start

Leory Lita - Why?

Obika - Another shocking signing

Dale Stephens - Doing ok. Got a good feeling he will turn out to be a shrewd signing.

Steven Ward - Very good signing. Not as good as Bridge though.

Conway - Really poor start but signs were there he was quite good.

David Rodriguez - Haven't seen anything great from him yet but maybe he is still adjusting.

The one promising aspect of Oscar's skills is the emergence of our youngsters. He seems to be more willing to use them in competitive matches than Poyet. It's a joy seeing kids coming through as they are the future.

This season has been a disappointment but the warning signs were there even before the season started. Going into a new season with just two fit strikers really wasn't a great plan and no plans to strengthen here either.

I'm just not convinced by the Oscar and Jones are the right pair.

Err- I take it we lost yesterday?

Oh yes that's right, if we had won the question would not be posted.:fishing:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Totally the right head coach, you can point to any manager and find the odd signing that for whatever reason has not worked out at the club, just cast your mind back a few months to Stephen Dobbie.

Combined with most of the first team missing for the first half of the season. Balanced against the emergence of the younger players who have been given and taken the opportunity presented to them.

Once the training ground is up and running, I would expect the full ability of Oscar to shine through given a full pre-season to embed his ideas fully.

We are all aware of the issue with the lack of forwards but this is not in Oscar's hands.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Have to say some of the football under him has been completely dull and the lack of goals is a worry despite him saying he wants us to play attacking football. We often go through 90 minutes of football creating just one or two chances in 90 mins. Yesterday was actually better in terms of performance and entertainment.

His signings haven't been exactly decent either.

Kemy Agustien - Complete waste of time.

Keith Andrews - Starting to look a poor signing after a promising start

Leory Lita - Why?

Obika - Another shocking signing

Dale Stephens - Doing ok. Got a good feeling he will turn out to be a shrewd signing.

Steven Ward - Very good signing. Not as good as Bridge though.

Conway - Really poor start but signs were there he was quite good.

David Rodriguez - Haven't seen anything great from him yet but maybe he is still adjusting.

The one promising aspect of Oscar's skills is the emergence of our youngsters. He seems to be more willing to use them in competitive matches than Poyet. It's a joy seeing kids coming through as they are the future.

This season has been a disappointment but the warning signs were there even before the season started. Going into a new season with just two fit strikers really wasn't a great plan and no plans to strengthen here either.

I'm just not convinced by the Oscar and Jones are the right pair.
i think oscar is but not jones

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No doubts at all and really looking forward to seeing Oscars team from next season as opposed to his inherited one at present.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
He's a little more introverted, but I like Oscar and his approach. I didn't think promotion was on the cards last season so it was a pleasant surprise to be in the playoffs. In my head this season would be similar with the summer offering Oscar the chance to be judged on key changes. If we make playoffs it's a bonus, but the flaw in Steve Claridges bias to Gus is yes he built a good team, but none the less it was a team that looked empty of options against its arch rivals at home in a playoff semi.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm right behind Oscar. Being without two strikers all season is a huge handicap, and he hasn't been helped by a huge transitional season financially to adjust to FFP. Next season we'll be more settled and have the training ground too. Oscar is the man.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I'm right behind Oscar. Being without two strikers all season is a huge handicap, and he hasn't been helped by a huge transitional season financially to adjust to FFP. Next season we'll be more settled and have the training ground too. Oscar is the man.
He had all summer to act on it and didn't. How can you say that handicapped him?

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
Give the man a full summer window and a full pre season to ship out the garbage and get some more in. The time to judge will be April 2015. Personally i feel he has done a suburb job all things considering.

This, we did pretty well earlier in the season even with lots of injuries.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Oh dear.

He has had no luck no luck whatsoever with injuries and yet we are still just below the play-offs. Oscar will go on to bigger and better things than us of that I have no doubts, the fact he wanted to join us to enhance his CV makes me happy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oscar is the right person for two reasons.
1. he is doing a really good job this season, especially given the following: coming in late following the upheaval in the summer; terrible injury situation; bad luck and poor decisions from officials on the pitch; our player of the season for the last two seasons not wanting to play for us; and, perhaps most importantly, the fact that, bar Burnley, all the teams above us have spent substantially more than us.
2. he was appointed to develop youth which is clearly the priority for the club. He has a background in this at the best club in the world, and its going to become an even greater priority once the training ground is finished in a few months time. Even if we weren't still in the FA Cup and still challenging for a play-off place now, this would be reason enough to keep hold of him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He had all summer to act on it and didn't. How can you say that handicapped him?

I think if the club had known neither CMS or Hoskins would kick a ball for the first team til mid-March they would have made more of an effort. The threat of a costly legal case with Gus didn't help. I believe that the priority from the top was to rein in expenses. I reckon the new shirt deal plus transfer fees in and cost savings will mean we'll have more of a budget next summer.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I think if the club had known neither CMS or Hoskins would kick a ball for the first team til mid-March they would have made more of an effort. The threat of a costly legal case with Gus didn't help. I believe that the priority from the top was to reign in expenses. I reckon the new shirt deal plus transfer fees in and cost savings will mean we'll have more of a budget next summer.

Both players were known to be out until well in Sept. Then CMS picked up another injury. All we had was Ulloa and Barnes. The latter used more of a midfielder.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He's done a ****ing fantastic job! With the injuries we've had this season I can't fathom how the hell we're as well placed as we are. I'm a massive Gus fan, but I don't think we'd be where we are with him in charge with this squad and these injuries this year. We were superb yesterday, we should have won that game about 5-2. How anyone can question Oscar at the moment, I have no idea.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
His signings?

A lot of the players we've brought in have connections to Nathan Jones so I imagine he has more of a say than we think. Certainly been a very mixed bag. Not sure if it was 'the Poyet effect' or whether we just had more money then, but he was able to attract the likes of Kuz, Bridge, Upson, Ulloa, Orlandi, David and Vicente. The calibre of the players we have signed under Oscar has been extremely average by comparison.

Last edited:

No doubts. I did try and have a look but gave up, but I wondered if the Latics equivalent of NSC was filled with angst a few short months ago when we beat them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here