Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else have doubts about Oscar being the right man to take us forward?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Whereas our inability to beat the bottom 5 this season shows how great Oscar's doing?

How many games did Poyet win from a losing position in the last 2 seasons?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
That makes no sense whatsoever.

It doesn't really make sense that people are claiming how 'spoiled' we were last season, when ultimately we failed miserably whilst our manager went around constantly touting himself for other clubs.
The last game of the season for us said it all.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
How many games did Poyet win from a losing position in the last 2 seasons?

But we didn't lose that many games. We didn't lose many from a winning position but Oscar managed to soon turn that around as well.
It doesn't really matter though, it only matters how many you win, lose and draw full-stop.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
OG strategy of starting games slowly could be his downfall.
At the opposite end of the scale Liverpool have scored 7 times in the first 5 minutes in the league and are proving irresistible.
Who can name the date when when a current squad member scored in the first 30 (thirty) minutes at home?

It took Brendan Rogers the whole of last season to change things at Liverpool, not to metnion the players that he has to hand.

If anything since Christmas all the teams have parked the bus when playing us.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It doesn't really make sense that people are claiming how 'spoiled' we were last season, when ultimately we failed miserably whilst our manager went around constantly touting himself for other clubs.
The last game of the season for us said it all.

If you think finishing fourth in the Championship is failing miserably then you're not really a football fan and certainly not an Albion fan.
And you must think Oscar is shit then

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Nope. Find him to be extremely similar to Poyet, tactically but much less annoying personality-wise.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
If you think finishing fourth in the Championship is failing miserably then you're not really a football fan and certainly not an Albion fan.
And you must think Oscar is shit then

We failed miserably. Finishing 4th is no where near as good as finishing 6th and getting promoted.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
They have been doing that ever since we got into The Championship so we should be used to it by now, none more so than Charlton did last season with NJ as coach so perhaps he should know how to break it.

Teams didn't have to park the bus when we were under Gus, we played most of the football in our own half.

Do you dream about Jonesy as well?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Don't be ridiculous. If you're such a fan of statistics, perhaps we should bring Pulis in? Or Big Sam? I was referring, as I stated clearly, to the football under Poyet. The passing. The movement. The discipline. It was a joy to watch and won us national plaudits.

Are you seriously saying the football under Oscar is as good as it was under Poyet?

The biggest criticism of Poyet was his lack of a plan B. To his credit, plan A worked pretty damn well.

Football is, of course, very subjective; for anyone who found Albion under Poyet "a joy to watch" there will be someone else who found their build up play tentative and conservative, with a frustrating unwillingness to attack swiftly. As I live abroad I certainly don't get to see the team as many times as I would like, but based on the 9 matches I have seen this season, I think the football has been "as good as it was under Poyet".

I am a fan of statistics, because they can help to add reason and perspective to a debate. You state that your biggest concern is our organisation at the back; the fact is, we have conceded 7 fewer goals so far this season, than last. You state that you don't think Oscar is up to it, and we won't make the play-offs, and yet we have EXACTLY the same number of points after 31 matches as last season. I'm struggling to comprehend your assertion that Poyet's plan A worked pretty damn well, and yet you think Oscar isn't up to it, when both managers had achieved an identical points tally?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
No. No worries at all. Instant gratification is a rare commodity in football and Oscar needs time to fully develop a squad of his choosing. The academy is going to improve our ability to foster players' skills and also attract new talent.

Patience.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
When making comparisons between last season and this season you have to remember that Poyet had a lot of advantages over Oscar - 3 years of building and getting to know the squad can't just be discounted. He also had the luxury of signing £5m worth of players.

Oscar needs at least another season before it's anywhere near a fair comparison.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Football is, of course, very subjective; for anyone who found Albion under Poyet "a joy to watch" there will be someone else who found their build up play tentative and conservative, with a frustrating unwillingness to attack swiftly. As I live abroad I certainly don't get to see the team as many times as I would like, but based on the 9 matches I have seen this season, I think the football has been "as good as it was under Poyet".

I am a fan of statistics, because they can help to add reason and perspective to a debate. You state that your biggest concern is our organisation at the back; the fact is, we have conceded 7 fewer goals so far this season, than last. You state that you don't think Oscar is up to it, and we won't make the play-offs, and yet we have EXACTLY the same number of points after 31 matches as last season. I'm struggling to comprehend your assertion that Poyet's plan A worked pretty damn well, and yet you think Oscar isn't up to it, when both managers had achieved an identical points tally?

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. If you want to go down that route we can talk about how many goals we scored under Poyet - I noticed you conveniently left that off your stats run down. Do you go to football to see your team score or to hope for a nice clean sheet? Stats only tell some of the story. Nothing beats going every week and seeing it, but I digress,

It's a shame you've not managed too many games this season, did you get to many under Poyet? I think it's obvious that last season we looked much, much better. Among the season ticket holders I know I don't speak to many who disagree. But football is a game of opinions and I don't dislike Oscar - I wish him all the success in the world. But let's not kid ourselves that we're anywhere near last seasons standard, and a portion of that blame lays with the manager. He is, in my opinion, adequate, but far from exceptional.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
nope.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No doubts whatsoever. And if we did get rid of Oscar then who else out there is available and could do a better job and would want to come down here?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I've got doubts. I appreciate we're doing well given the injuries we've had but I do think the quality of our football has dropped. Thankfully that hasn't been reflected in our results and we're on par with last season.

I don't think creating a load of chances is always a sign of a good team, it's the quality of the chances. For me it looks like we just attack and hope something will open up. Under Gus it looked like a more intelligent game where we'd look to move players about and exploit the space we'd created etc. Now it feels like run forward and look up for who's available.

Gutted CMS has had his setback though as I really think he'll do well in our current system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here