Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anyone else going to watch the England game ONLY if Moder is playing

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This is THE key game of the qualifying group for me, Poland are a talented outfit who will come to E Wembley with no fear and with high hopes themselves of automatically qualifying for the WC, and with only the top team in the group qualifying something has to give. It's a must win for me so I'll be tuning in cheering the lads (fingers crossed) one step closer to the promised land of Qatar 2022.

:ascarf:

SAC

May 21, 2014
Watching football on TV isn't for everyone so I can understand people giving it a swerve but I really can't understand why anyone would miss it just because the manager isn't one that they would choose. And then boast about it!

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
As I'm half-English and half-Polish, this is one game I always look forward to.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Win Win for me.

Other half and step daughter are Polish, so we will be watching.

Hoping Moder is playing and if so, I will be cheering on Poland with the rest of the family.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Might turn in if Moder starts, but even then I probably won’t bother.

International football is absolute dirge and I doubt I’d even have watched England at the World Cup if it hadn’t been a fantastic excuse for a piss up. Then again I can’t understand anyone anywhere being patriotic so I’m probably not the target audience.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'll be watching because its England and I'm english. All you slagging-off merchants "its boring blah blah" will be tuning right in for the Finals if we make the World Cup.

Its akin to only watching BHA when its the Playoffs, or when we're playing Man U or Liverpool.

Will you be watching England at the Figure Skating World Cup as well because they are England and you are English?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Been thinking about this, I used to love England games but once we started playing complete nonentities in football terms in pretty well all qualification games, with the hype about how good England are going into just about every tournament, only to repeatedly fail against the first decent team they came up against, I lost interest. Not because we aren’t very good, more to do with the ott media driven hysteria at every tournament. Just fell out of love with International football.

I guess the same would happen if PL Brighton played teams like Staylbridge Celtic for two years and then got into knockout competition with the top six for a month or so. Yep, I’d definitely lose interest :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Will you be watching England at the Figure Skating World Cup as well because they are England and you are English?

I bet he watched the Scots Curling team at the winter olympics a few years ago, most of the UK did :smile:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think the problem is there’s no danger or challenge of us not qualifying. Gets increasingly hard to get psyched up for another Southgate qualification game.

Come tournament time it’s quite different.

Agree with this. These matches I'm completely indifferent to but come the actual tournament I'll be watching England.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Been thinking about this, I used to love England games but once we started playing complete nonentities in football terms in pretty well all qualification games, with the hype about how good England are going into just about every tournament, only to repeatedly fail against the first decent team they came up against, I lost interest. Not because we aren’t very good, more to do with the ott media driven hysteria at every tournament. Just fell out of love with International football.

I guess the same would happen if PL Brighton played teams like Staylbridge Celtic for two years and then got into knockout competition with the top six for a month or so. Yep, I’d definitely lose interest :shrug:

The media are idiots. Just ignore them. Don't let them influence what football teams you have interest in.

Oh and we've always played nonentities in qualifying. Some have improved. 20 years ago Albania we're 8-0 whipping boys. Not any more

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

This is the point. I'll watch England in the WC finals but these qualifiers are complete non-events. Playing Poland is the equivalent of playing Doncaster in the cup - a game where we'd win 99 times out a 100. Playing San Marino is the equivalent of playing Southwick; the essence of competitive sport is to be, well, competitive. Even if I didn't have rugby training, I couldn't be bothered to watch.

If the qualifiers were non-seeded and we found ourselves up against Italy or Belgium, say, (it was Italy who stopped us qualifying in 1978) then I may be interested but a succession of games against weak opposition just doesn't do it for me.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yep absolutely, and even then I'm not exactly going to be glued to the game. I did enjoy the Belgium match though. Trossard is in a lovely bit of form currently

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'll be watching The Repair Shop on BBC1.

"Next into the barn is Steve Parish from Croydon, with an ancient football team..."

Jay: "So Steve - what would you like us to do?"
SP: "Well, as you can see, most of the players are very old and the number 11 keeps falling over."
Jay: "I'll see what Dom can do but I think most of them will need replacing and the manager looks completely worn out."

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll be watching The Repair Shop on BBC1.

"Next into the barn is Steve Parish from Croydon, with an ancient football team..."

Jay: "So Steve - what would you like us to do?"
SP: "Well, as you can see, most of the players are very old and the number 11 keeps falling over."
Jay: "I'll see what Dom can do but I think most of them will need replacing and the manager looks completely worn out."

See, you say that but I'm genuinely interested in what football fans will be doing instead, With the game on ITV will they really be watching whatever old shit Channel 5 serves up these days (and now, another thrilling episode of Fat Chavs go on Holiday with Riot Policemen) because they don't like Southgate?

I completely get ambivalence on Sunday just gone with several British drivers in the F1 and England's one day game coming to a close end (I watched the F1 on the big telly with the first half of Albania on the laptop for example) but really, England v Poland on a Wednesday night, on terrestrial telly, in a semi-lockdown and everyone thinks it's cool to say "not bothering with that"? :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
See, you say that but I'm genuinely interested in what football fans will be doing instead, With the game on ITV will they really be watching whatever old shit Channel 5 serves up these days (and now, another thrilling episode of Fat Chavs go on Holiday with Riot Policemen) because they don't like Southgate?

I completely get ambivalence on Sunday just gone with several British drivers in the F1 and England's one day game coming to a close end (I watched the F1 on the big telly with the first half of Albania on the laptop for example) but really, England v Poland on a Wednesday night, on terrestrial telly, in a semi-lockdown and everyone thinks it's cool to say "not bothering with that"? :shrug:

I didn’t see you having a pop at the “cool” Albion fans who have given up watching us on TV when we aren’t winning, maybe I missed it?

What’s “cool” about saying you are a bit meh about England qualifiers? (Or even tournaments)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The media are idiots. Just ignore them. Don't let them influence what football teams you have interest in.

Oh and we've always played nonentities in qualifying. Some have improved. 20 years ago Albania we're 8-0 whipping boys. Not any more

Ignore the media in a Euro or WC finals? Now that would mean going off and living in a cave or going abroad and avoiding the internet and newspapers :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here