Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone bracing themselves ahead of Monday nights transfer deadline?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Yes. One fit striker just not enough. Two is not enough either. Sorry Oscar, but this shows your naivety with respect to the Championship.

Comment posted by Naylor sounds fairly tongue-in-cheek for me though - I don't want more strikers, I want the ones I have fit! And it is a sentiment that I agree with. However, everyone knows that they won't be fit for a while and so I imagine we will get a short-term loan striker to cover that period.

Let's not crucify the man for a tweeted comment, when we don't know the context and there's a language barrier, it will only be counter-productive.

Going back to a previous debate B.W; what do you think of Ward as an addition at LB? Have to retrospectively agree we look much more solid defensively with him in.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can't believe the bedwetters on here.

We play with one striker. As of the next game, we will have Ulloa covered by Barnes for that position and until a couple of days ago, we had CMS coming back as the third player to compete for that one position (yes I know, we may change and play two up but we haven't yet).

The chances of us getting another striker better than those three at a reasonable price is slim to say the least, so we will be paying for someone to maybe get a few minutes here and there. This has changed in the last few days with CMS new injury, but if Ulloa and Barnes stay fit (and not banned) any investment we make will be to warm the bench if they are lucky.

It may be that OG decides he does need a short term loan to cover until CMS is available and if something happens to Ulloa or Barnes, you know that a short term loan will be bought in within days.

But it's hardly the disaster of biblical proportions that some posters on here believe.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

We play with one striker. As of the next game, we will have Ulloa covered by Barnes for that position and until a couple of days ago, we had CMS coming back as the third player to compete for that one position (yes I know, we may change and play two up but we haven't yet).

The chances of us getting another striker better than those three at a reasonable price is slim to say the least, so we will be paying for someone to maybe get a few minutes here and there. This has changed in the last few days with CMS new injury, but if Ulloa and Barnes stay fit (and not banned) any investment we make will be to warm the bench if they are lucky.

It may be that OG decides he does need a short term loan to cover until CMS is available and if something happens to Ulloa or Barnes, you know that a short term loan will be bought in within days.

But it's hardly the disaster of biblical proportions that some posters on here believe.

Indeed. I believe another winger is more important than a striker at this point in time.

Edit: As a permanent signing

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Comment posted by Naylor sounds fairly tongue-in-cheek for me though - I don't want more strikers, I want the ones I have fit! And it is a sentiment that I agree with. However, everyone knows that they won't be fit for a while and so I imagine we will get a short-term loan striker to cover that period.

That's how I interpreted it ... despite others thinking we can get away without I'd be highly surprised if we didn't get a loan striker in after Monday

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

I don't think anyone is bedwetting on here more like disappointed that in terms of squad quality we are best staying as was - and thats only in some positions. Whilst I can understand the position we are in during the transition from Poyet to OG we are going to drop a few points and although that may be ok for a few months if we drop too many you can write this season off at xmas. We have a few games coming up that will tell where we are at which will give a better picture and we can see then but as I said on another thread OG has some pretty amazing coaching or signings to show us to prove that a manager from abroad can assemble a squad to reach the Prem. I hadn't realised what a task it is and what managers had been successful and I'm amazed its not been mentioned before. We have slagged off most of the managers that made it to the prem in the past years and some of their style of play and I now think OG was expected to take us forward when were in the Prem not for the journey to it.

Thats not bedwetting just a opinion on the task before him. This division is not easy to get out of and the next two seasons look especially hard

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Thought you were talking sense until I saw a hashtag on a forum at the end

We have x4 strikers all of which will be fit by the end of November.

Ulloa/Barnes/Buckley and CMS.

We struggled to buy a target man for about a year then finally get Leo. We don't play with more than one forward during the games either so why do we need a 5th striker?

Leo- Holding target man
Buckley - Forward/ Attacking midfielder
Barnes- Poacher
CMS- Plays off the shoulder/poacher

All our forwards are totally different types of player and all bring different options. Leo's our no 1 forward and was bought to start in 90 % of our games this season.

In Garcia I trust!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It was bound to be Monday, wasn't it.
And yeah, reasonably.

Yes, always likely to be Monday. I guess the club are driving a hard bargain then, as they seem to want it to sound as if we won't be signing anyone.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011

We struggled to buy a target man for about a year then finally get Leo. We don't play with more than one forward during the games either so why do we need a 5th striker?

Leo- Holding target man
Barnes- Poacher

All our forwards are totally different types of player and all bring different options. Leo's our no 1 forward and was bought to start in 90 % of our games this season.

In Garcia I trust!

I agree with you. I was just commenting that I thought it was a sensible post which could be discussed until I saw the hashtag.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Can't say I'm not disappointed by the business this summer. We seem to be taking this FFP more seriously than everyone else. Is Chicksen the only player we've spent money on?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Yes, always likely to be Monday. I guess the club are driving a hard bargain then, as they seem to want it to sound as if we won't be signing anyone.

Certainly the way that Oscar is making it sound. We do, though. We don't need them until the loan window opens, which may screw up what I said. Still pretty confident we will confirm a new face tomorrow.
The last time we didn't do any business on TD day must be many many moons ago.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Can't say I'm not disappointed by the business this summer. We seem to be taking this FFP more seriously than everyone else. Is Chicksen the only player we've spent money on?

Such a strange signing as well. Money could have been used to buy Canella that we were priced out of. We already have a young LB.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What utter shit Garcia is talking & in my opinion is very naive, we have one fit out and out striker available at the moment. You look at the championship and its a long arduous season of 50 games plus with cups where you need strength in depth and in the striking department we hardly have any at all!

CMS according to what we've recently read won't be back until November & with the style of player he is and the fact he's getting over a serious injury, we can't expect to see him at his best until the new year.

It's simply too much pressure on Leo & we will burn him out. That lone front man job is hard work & I simply don't see where Garcia is coming from.

We don't have enough options in attack compared to our rivals.

#naivegarcia

Er, loan deals? #PrudentGarcia

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Leo- Holding target man
Barnes- Poacher

In Garcia I trust!

Barnes- Poacher lol,,,,,that has made me chuckle. One thing he is not is a goal poacher, he couldn't poach an egg!! A goal poacher is a fox in the box type, from six yards out, just how many of Barnes goals have been like that???

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Barnes- Poacher lol,,,,,that has made me chuckle. One thing he is not is a goal poacher, he couldn't poach an egg!! A goal poacher is a fox in the box type, from six yards out, just how many of Barnes goals have been like that???

What is he then if he's not a poacher? He's a reactive forward who rarely scores from outside the box if you want to get technical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here