Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone back yet? What went wrong?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought the main reason that we didn't play well is that Wednesday were very well organised and kept doubling up on our wingers which stifled our creativity. We may have had more joy through the middle but without Kayal we were lacking the creative spark.

All in all it was two very well organised teams that ultimately cancelled each other out which does happen sometimes.

This perfectly sums up everything basically. Any over the top moaning is pointless. This is what happened.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Not convinced yet playoffs are nailed on... but i like your positivity....

To be honest if teams pick up an average of 1.5-1.75 pts per game and we pick up an average 1.25 we'll still be there, it's not 100% I'll grant you but I'd be happy to wage anyone a charity bet?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think smash and grab is unfair on Wednesday. The first half they looked more likely to score and in the second stockers again made a couple of cracking saves...the run and shot from theI little midfielder looked in all the way. There was only one team set up to win last night and it wasn't us!

The way we had no idea how to breakdown an organised side showed how far this squad is from a Premiership side.

Our remaining games are not that easy, but I think we are good enough to make the playoffs, unless we really implode.

You must have been watching from the north The midget Bannan put in a couple of strikes, but as expected Wednesday were only able to shoot from long distance. It is a ? whether Stockdale would catch or parry the shots, more like back passes. Wednesday crosses were more dangerous, most dangerous crosses this season, equal to Blackburn's (which we did not cope so well with).

Q: when did we last score from a shot outside the box from open play?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I really don't see how you reckoned we were getting on top when our subs came on. I thought they were really pushing and looked much more likely to score than us

Thye were when our last sub came on, but they had a breakaway and their player dived over Bruno's foot. From that moment of the first substitution, everything seemed to go wrong. Wednesday saw we doing well for about ten minutes and disrupted our game, not helped by the staggered substitions. 66 minutes went to 75 minutes and nothing happened. Then Wednesday had smashed what litte impetus, possession mainly, we had with two long shots and more dangerously put in some crosses from deep on the left. But we were as good as them at defending.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Only team in the division last night NOT to have a shot on target!! what's that all about?

But we had the two most dangerous moves of the game when Murphy nutmegged the defender and put in an enticing low cross and when Bruno burst into the box. Our defence had to deal with a few tricky crosses, so it was about even stevens on chances. It was just ours occurred in the first half, and theirs in the second.

I don't want to play Wednesday in the play-offs. Games against them have been a bit boring for the last three seasons and getting worse. Don't want Boro for much the same reason. I'd sooner play Derby again.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Haven't read all posts but can only say I am glad Forestieri didn't play, they would surely have scored.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I blame the weather. It was proper Northern

We are particularly shit in bad weather; we have generally been better during the warmer months for years. Fortunately, the business end of the season is played in April and May.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
All this talk about Ch making a mistake slightly baffles me. Yes, I want Kayal to play every game but realise this isn't possible. Maybe CH foresaw that SWFC were going to bring down the bus, park it in the box and saw it as an opportunity to rest him, would it have been better to rest him against Preston who attacked us?

Not every player can go a whole season and play every game, especially not someone so combative.

Chill, 1 pt, 3rd and play-offs nailed on with, possibly, the auto place still feasible.

Is it not the case that Kayal is just one booking away from a suspension? If I'm right CH might well have decided that the midfield battles in last nights game were going to be a bit tasty and that, as such, Sidwell would be the better option and that it would be wise to save Kayal for another game or until the threat of suspension is lifted (early April I think). In any case I am dumbfounded by the level of negativity on this thread, it was definitely a point gained rather than 2 points lost and, compared to some of those around us, we are holding up pretty well for the final games of the best season so far at the AMEX. Some people are never happy.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think a lot of credit should go to Shef Wed for playing well and doing there homework. I have never rated Baldock or Hemed but with us in 4th I can have very little argument. However I don't think I have ever seen such an ineffectual front 2 as last night. No movement ,unable to shield ball when marked and certainly unable to go past a defender. Things went from bad to worse when Zamora came on. Why on earth don't we play it to his feet. As for Lua Lua . We all look forward to his cameos but he looked despite training everyday that he had never been on a football pitch before. Reluctant to be critical of Houghton but why didn't he try something different. Can only think he was concerned about losing and was happy with point.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Haven't read all posts but can only say I am glad Forestieri didn't play, they would surely have scored.

Not so sure. They were restricted to deep crosses (dealt with by our defence very well) and long shots (Stockdale made routine saves). As usual Wednesday did not look dangerous. They played a defensive 4-2-3-1 and waited to for us to lose the ball which we did regularly in midfield. All players in front of the defence were to blame, Knockaert most and Murphy once. I could see that coming though, and Wednesday knew exactly what to expect

I think Wednesday with Loovens and Lees have got the best central defence in the Champsionship. We would have neede chnages to break them down. A piece of individual skill as they weren't looking like making a mistake. In the last quarter I thought we lost pateince and gave the ball away even more allowing Wednesday to get into the game even more and if our defence did not deal with theior corsses we could have lost.

I see the point about Forestieri though. He is our Lualua. On a good day, he can make things happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here