Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any rules against wimmin playing in the Championship..?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Hmm...

field hockey, ice hockey, american football, cricket, basketball, baseball, volleyball, team cycling, handball ... need any more?

Well done. My point was around the differing physical attributes of the genders, and that sports where "close" physical contact without object assistance (such as polo/hockey) is paramount, you will never be able to have professional competitive mixed gender teams.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well done. My point was around the differing physical attributes of the genders, and that sports where "close" physical contact without object assistance (such as polo/hockey) is paramount, you will never be able to have professional competitive mixed gender teams.

You could never have mixed gender teams in ANY team sport. Well you could, but unless it was mandatory to have a percentage of women, they'd just all be men because men are faster, stronger and more powerful.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
??? I wasn't saying that at all, just pointing out that there are definitely more than two team sports where strength is a major attribute...

If you're just talking about 'strength' then a lot of those sports do not apply as they are specifically non-contact or minimal contact. It's the other physical differences like speed, height and jumping ability that are more important differentiators.
I used to play quite a lot of mixed hockey up to c 18 yo, and we just picked the best players - often having 6 females to 5 males and almost always having a female goalie because she was the best we had. Different, more mobile game now they've changed the rules though and speed is a key attribute that would count more heavily towards picking guys in key outfield positions.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
??? I wasn't saying that at all, just pointing out that there are definitely more than two team sports where strength is a major attribute...

If you're just talking about 'strength' then a lot of those sports do not apply as they are specifically non-contact or minimal contact. It's the other physical differences like speed, height and jumping ability that are more important differentiators.
I used to play quite a lot of mixed hockey up to c 18 yo, and we just picked the best players - often having 6 females to 5 males and almost always having a female goalie because she was the best we had. Different, more mobile game now they've changed the rules though and speed is a key attribute that would count more heavily towards picking guys in key outfield positions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here