Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any rules against wimmin playing in the Championship..?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
There was a German player who went down in the match against England, holding her face. She'd had the briefest of pushes ... and nowhere near her face. She was the only player I saw do it and I watched quite a few of the games

Well that is something, but 1 incident in the WHOLE TOURNAMENT! Dear oh dear, that wouldn't do in the mens game. They really need to work on that if they want to fit in.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I don't think wimmin would settle very well in the mens game, as there are certain aspects that were completely missing from what I saw of the Womens World Cup. They really have a long way to go in terms of simulation, before they can even begin to compete. I didn't see anyone rolling around screaming when they had jumped over a possible challenge, holding their face when the ball had struck them on the shin, or being stretchered off in agony, only to jog back on a few seconds later.
😀😀😀

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why not have mixed teams? For a major sport, some serious discrimination going on..

When we had the thread about rule changes recently, I proposed precisely that. If I were in charge of FIFA, I would implement a rule that all teams had to include at least two girls/women. It would transform the status of women's sport at a stroke. The recent WWC has reinforced my mind that it would be an excellent rule change ... even if it is a pipedream

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
When we had the thread about rule changes recently, I proposed precisely that. If I were in charge of FIFA, I would implement a rule that all teams had to include at least two girls/women. It would transform the status of women's sport at a stroke. The recent WWC has reinforced my mind that it would be an excellent rule change ... even if it is a pipedream

Despite seeing good intention-I would have to disagree with that idea. Due to the plain fact that the standard of women's football is nowhere near and will probably never will be the standard of men's football-I suppose it will end up having the richer clubs buying the least inept women footballers so not to detriment their chances of winning leagues. Man City, Chelsea, ect will call dibs on the American, Japan, and England ladies, with the lower leagues having very (unfortunately) poor footballers. This will leave the smaller clubs with girls who simply cannot keep up with the standard. This will inevitably lead to "FFS if we had a man who could actually kick a ball we would have won that game" "She's holding us back" from fans and possibly even players. Women cannot compete against men at football-not sexist just the truth.

We should focus on getting more girls involved at a younger age and improve coaching to improve the standard. I believe that women's football should be encouraged and developed but this is not the way to do it in my opinion.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This will leave the smaller clubs with girls who simply cannot keep up with the standard. This will inevitably lead to "FFS if we had a man who could actually kick a ball we would have won that game" "She's holding us back" from fans and possibly even players. Women cannot compete against men at football-not sexist just the truth.

You're forgetting that the opposition would have women as well - that's the point. And yes, there would be a big gap at first but I would expect that gap to diminish in time. You probably wouldn't have many women goalies or centre-backs but they could shine elsewhere.

It's not just about stopping sexism and encouraging women's sport (although there is that), I believe we'd see fewer sides playing hoofball too. And managers would certainly have to be more tactically aware

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
You're forgetting that the opposition would have women as well - that's the point. And yes, there would be a big gap at first but I would expect that gap to diminish in time. You probably wouldn't have many women goalies or centre-backs but they could shine elsewhere.

It's not just about stopping sexism and encouraging women's sport (although there is that), I believe we'd see fewer sides playing hoofball too. And managers would certainly have to be more tactically aware

I meant that despite both teams having women, one lady may be far worse than the other, plus the fact that as women will likely not be played in goal or in defence, they will not be directly competing against other women, but men who will overpower them. Maybe there is something to your idea-but it would have to be executed properly or it could go disasterously wrong for both men's and women's football.
Actually, I like the idea of managers having to be more tactically aware-yet I see two problems. One: Will it not just become 'Damage control' over how the team is being affected by the women, prevented the opponent taking extreme advantage of your inevitably weaker player. Yes, they may have a women too but as pointed out the womens standard will vary from decent to liability. Leading to-"just try not to lose the ball yeah? If he passes to you, pass straight back" (Exaggerated but entirely possible) Two: The fact that, despite your wish that less sides will player hoofball-the exact opposite may occur. Teams may take complete advantage of any women in the team by putting their 6 foot 4 striker on her and lumping to ball up to him, then shrugging her off and scoring. No contest. Women are generally smaller than men and physically women may just me rendered powerless to defend against teams who have specifically set up to exploit her.

Difficult one eh?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I think the problem lies with the inherent close physical contact of the sport. Apart from Rugby, there is no other team sport where physical strength plays a part in the contest between opposing players.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think the problem lies with the inherent close physical contact of the sport. Apart from Rugby, there is no other team sport where physical strength plays a part in the contest between opposing players.

Seriously? I can't think of any team sport where physical strength doesn't play a part.

The only sports I can think of off the top of my head where men and women compete equally are equestrian and motor racing.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

You need to be realistic and accept the physical differences between men and women. The difference in footballing ability will never diminish as long as athletic aspects, such as pace, are parts of the game - not to mention shot power and jumping ability.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Why can't we not just accept that Women play football and Men play football and stop comparing like it's some gender competition.

What would be nice is if Women's sport in general got more coverage the only time you see equality in coverage is during the Olympics and I would say that both genders did bloody well. Did people think more of Jessica Ennis then Mo Farrah, or Victoria Pembleton then Chris Hoy, I hope not. England Women Rugby team won the world cup last year, I did not know until they won the team of the year on Spotty. Where was their open to Bus Parade the lack of coverage was bloody disgraceful.

The BBC's coverage of the Women's football world cup was definitely a step in the right direction

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's not just about stopping sexism and encouraging women's sport (although there is that), I believe we'd see fewer sides playing hoofball too. And managers would certainly have to be more tactically aware.

How is it about sexism when there is no sexism in male competitions? Are men not allowed to do anything these days without women having to be included?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Hmm...

field hockey, ice hockey, american football, cricket, basketball, baseball, volleyball, team cycling, handball ... need any more?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Hmm...

field hockey, ice hockey, american football, cricket, basketball, baseball, volleyball, team cycling, handball ... need any more?

You are quite correct. I think you will find most women do not want to crash your party. They just want their party to have similar funding so that it can be the best it can be. I don't think that is a lot to ask.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
You are quite correct. I think you will find most women do not want to crash your party. They just want their party to have similar funding so that it can be the best it can be. I don't think that is a lot to ask.

??? I wasn't saying that at all, just pointing out that there are definitely more than two team sports where strength is a major attribute...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I meant that despite both teams having women, one lady may be far worse than the other, plus the fact that as women will likely not be played in goal or in defence, they will not be directly competing against other women, but men who will overpower them. Maybe there is something to your idea-but it would have to be executed properly or it could go disasterously wrong for both men's and women's football.

But there are differences in ability between one bloke and another. Jordan Rhodes and Chris O'Grady, say, both play at the same level but would you say they have the same ability because they're both men?

I don't deny there would be difficulties and this is a long term view. My idea would be that clubs would be told this change comes in after 10 years when they'd have to play one woman and after 15 years would have to play two. That would give plenty of time to prepare but the difference it would make to girls sport would be profound.

And I don't accept this argument that men are physically stronger. I know that's generally true - although I'd back Nicola Adams in fight against KLL - but that's one of the reasons for my suggestion.

Let skill prevail over physicality - it could also help boys too as there'll be more emphasis on skill at an earlier age so kids who can play a bit won't be shrugged aside in favour of a boy who can hoof it a long way

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
??? I wasn't saying that at all, just pointing out that there are definitely more than two team sports where strength is a major attribute...

I understood that, sorry if you took it the wrong way it was not a dig a you.

I was just trying to point out as a women, that we in general do not want to play sport against men and understand the differences. We just want the sports we do, to have an equal chance of success. My daughter wants to be a professional cyclist, that is her dream, she is currently 13 years old and races at national and international level. In the European tour a 13 year old girls will race in the same race as 12 year old boys to make the up for the physical difference. The races are very close and quite often a girl will win. But their is already a physical difference and that gets wider as the genders grow, you would have to be stupid not to recognize that.

A women's cycle race will probably not have the same top speed as the men's, but the difference will not be that great and a close women's race will just as exciting to watch. But funding for women's cycling teams is no where near on the same level as the men's, and that is the same across all sports. I don't know if my daughter will achieve her dream and if she grows in to a fit adult with love of cycling and sport that will be reward enough for me for all the hours we put in. It would just be nice for her to have the opportunity to give it a real go.

Most funding for sport comes from advertising, that is why exposure of women's sport is key to it's future.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
And I don't accept this argument that men are physically stronger. I know that's generally true - although I'd back Nicola Adams in fight against KLL - but that's one of the reasons for my suggestion.
Are you serious? There is no argument to have: men ARE physically stronger than women, which is the reason why all men's athletics world records are in the region of 10-20% faster, higher, longer, heavier etc.

As for KLL versus Nicola Adams, this is comparing apples with oranges. KLL is a professional footballer and Adams is one of the best female boxers in the world. A fairer argument would be Nicola Adams v Amir Khan - who do you think would win that one?

Mandatory mixed football would be a joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here