Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk 2

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Never thought AJ was capable of stepping up against any of the elite heavyweights and proven right again. Have a touch of sympathy for his outburst last night as I think there’s been a lot going on behind the scene, knows he’s been rinsed by Eddie / Matchroom over the years and perhaps been built up beyond his ability.

But why none of his big entourage took him away or turned the microphone off is ridiculous. And the dropping of the belts out the ring thing was a terrible, terrible look.

Strictly 2023 or I’m A Celeb later this year beckons I think

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I don't know whether it's too nice or too much thinking / tactics. He hurt Usyk a couple of times, but each time he seems to back off to assess the damage, you can see him thinking about it, defend a bit, see if the other fighter has slowed. He gave Usyk a chance to either make the bell or recover his composure a bit.

Usyk of course boxed clever, he wasn't going to look for the huge blow, he scored and he scored often throughout the fight, constantly kept himself on the judges cards, kept Joshua worried that make a mistake and he'd get hit. If Joshua's tactic was to look to stop Usyk, I couldn't really understand why he didn't go all out with the risk that entails when he had him in trouble - he boxed like he was ahead on points and didn't need the stoppage.

Very good assessment imho,youv`e read the whole fight as i saw it .

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Fury v Usyk would be huge

I think Fury talks about retiring because he knows Usyk would beat him. Fury's greatest asset is his heart and sheer will to win but Usyk will match him and then some

I don't think that is an accurate assessment of Fury. He has always had good movement and boxing skills for a heavyweight and now Steward has taught him to punch with power he is quite some package if he is in the right shape.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I don't know whether it's too nice or too much thinking / tactics. He hurt Usyk a couple of times, but each time he seems to back off to assess the damage, you can see him thinking about it, defend a bit, see if the other fighter has slowed. He gave Usyk a chance to either make the bell or recover his composure a bit.

Usyk of course boxed clever, he wasn't going to look for the huge blow, he scored and he scored often throughout the fight, constantly kept himself on the judges cards, kept Joshua worried that make a mistake and he'd get hit. If Joshua's tactic was to look to stop Usyk, I couldn't really understand why he didn't go all out with the risk that entails when he had him in trouble - he boxed like he was ahead on points and didn't need the stoppage.

I agree with all that and I can’t understand why it was a split decision.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I don't think that is an accurate assessment of Fury. He has always had good movement and boxing skills for a heavyweight and now Steward has taught him to punch with power he is quite some package if he is in the right shape.

I actually think if Usyk was to beat Fury fair and square, Fury would be very gracious in defeat.

That said I think he would stop Usyk late on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Joshua was an absolutely embarrassment in the aftermath of that. Usually comes across well, but he's made a complete knob of himself there with his petulant strop out of the ring, throwing the belts out, getting in Usyk's face, then spouting a load of cringeworthy old waffle in what should have been Usyk's moment to savour.

Maybe he was punch-drunk, but one of his team should've been at least trying to stop him making a gargantuan prick of himself there, after what was a courageous display.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Not massively keen on footballers having cameras thrust in their faces while they're emotional — definitely shouldn't be allowed in boxing. Joshua, to me, acted like someone who'd been whacked around the head for 20 minutes and then found out he'd lost the biggest fight of his career when he'd been under intense pressure, given it everything and been told he was winning by his corner.

Wouldn't hurt to let him talk about it in the morning. Although I'm being slightly hypocritical here as my colleagues would have had access to his dressing room if he'd won.

The idea that Joshua isn't elite because he failed to beat the ostensible pound-for-pound number one is also daft. Usyk would have knocked out most fighters last night.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Joshua said afterwards that he was also fighting for GB and the huge fight with Fury that everybody wanted.

You have to accept when you have been beaten fair and square though, and most people thought so too despite the split decision.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

And here's the true hero of UK combat sports this weekend. Stunning under dog win by Leon Edwards to become UFC welterweight champion. Sadly he wont get the recognition he deserves. If you know your MMA this is incredible!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Fury v Usyk would be huge

I think Fury talks about retiring because he knows Usyk would beat him. Fury's greatest asset is his heart and sheer will to win but Usyk will match him and then some

Fury ran and hid from Usyk when he had the opportunity to fight him before. I've no doubt that he would do so again.

I have always been an AJ fan since 2012 but he has twice come up against the best pound for pound fighter and a real hard ******* at that. Twice he has been well beaten. Absolutely no excuse for that disrespectful petulent behaviour on Saturday night. He was well beaten by a better fighter. Suck it up. From being a huge fan to hoping he never sets foot in the ring again. Shameful.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The pressure he's bottled for years and years finally told on him.

I hope he takes some time away. He'll never be a champion again, but still capable of delivering maybe 2 or 3 great nights for British boxing, hopefully in the UK

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here