Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Striker

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The problem under Hyppia was shooting, under Hughton, supply (or getting players into the opposition half).

Yes, true. I seem to remember games under Hyypia that we had 40-odd shots but still couldn't score. Under Hughton we were hoofing the ball in Mackail Smith's general direction from 50 yards away when he was surrounded by giant defenders.

Hopefully Hemed can win the ball in the air!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, true. I seem to remember games under Hyypia that we had 40-odd shots but still couldn't score. Under Hughton we were hoofing the ball in Mackail Smith's general direction from 50 yards away when he was surrounded by giant defenders.

Hopefully Hemed can win the ball in the air!

But how many of those 40 were Gardener hoofing over from 30 yards, while being 2 from 2 when shooting from close to the penalty spot?

For the entire season we created so few genuine chances on a par with Bournemouth away and March's (?) slot in v Fulham (?) away.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We absolutely need one more, and I'm confident we'll get one.

Hemed MIGHT hit the ground running, and destroy the division. Or he might score five all season. Baldock, Colunga and O'Grady all showed flashes of promise, but over the course of a season they all ultimately failed, to put a significant run of decent performances or any kind of scoring spree together. No way at all we can RELY on that strike force, going into the season.

Someone a few posts above says we will be 'okay'. Is THAT really the target? I don't believe it is. Winger and striker still to come.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'm with Hans here. Baldock obviously spent more time than he would like out wide (and on the treatment table) but he has plenty to prove, Hemed may be fantastic but we won't know until he has had a run of games, Colunga is clearly not fancied by CH or he'd not have gone out on loan when we were short of striking options, COG does a job but you can't envisage him as a regular. We definitely need at least one more, possibly two, or 1 + 1 that can play in behind.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we have any intention of moving up the table we definitely need another pacey striker along with a winger, otherwise we are going to end up with the same old shit if the Hemed is not what we think he is or he gets injured or suspended. We haven't invested in pace or creativity yet and this was SERIOUSLY lacking last season. In fact we are worse off at the moment because we have lost Tex.

If the team building is finished up front we are ****ed..imo.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If the team building is finished up front we are ****ed..imo.

If it has, then yes we are. But it's highly unlikely. I suspect a minimum of three or four (a striker, winger, centre back and perhaps another winger or attacking midfielder), but one or two of those might be on a season-long loan. My impression is that such loans don't tend to materialise until later into the transfer window.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We are probably only going to play one central striker but that means we need at least two capable of doing the job. Is COG? not for me.

I'd say we need at least one more CF, move COG on and ideally a 3rd youngster with potential for the position.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whether we start with 1 or 2 strikers, we need 3 in the matchday 18.

And another to cover injury / suspension / provide competition.

2 required to replace Colunga and COG.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There are two types of striker - A. Quick / direct, and B. Big strong / hold up the ball well, etc.

We have the first choice and back up of type B, in Hemed and CoG, and Baldock is decent enough back up for type A.

First choice type A, still to arrive.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
There are two types of striker - A. Quick / direct, and B. Big strong / hold up the ball well, etc.

We have the first choice and back up of type B, in Hemed and CoG, and Baldock is decent enough back up for type A.

First choice type A, still to arrive.

I see Hemed as a hybrid and would see Zamora as the first choice type B if we can come to an agreement.

Many teams used a similar type player to great effect in getting out of and staying in the league above - Geoff Horsfield, Grant Holt type experienced old pros type role.

If we can get him or A.N.Other in at that sort of level (no I don't want Holt as he's past it) - and I see no reason why not Zamora on a pay as you play deal - then k think we'd be well served.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Sometimes it amazes me how quickly people forget how SHIT we were last year, up front especially. We NEED new forwards and a new supply line. Anyone suggesting otherwise is either on crack or being bribed by the club to plant some PR out there

Absolutely this!!! - we were simply woeful last season - none of the forwards that were here last season are good enough unless we want another relegation battle

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I guess it depends on how Hughton sets up this year as to whether he is looking for an out and out striker or others who can play in and around a hold up type. Personally I remain to be convinced by either COG or baldock and think we need another but whether Hughton does is the question I guess

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
We absolutely need one more, and I'm confident we'll get one.

Hemed MIGHT hit the ground running, and destroy the division. Or he might score five all season. Baldock, Colunga and O'Grady all showed flashes of promise, but over the course of a season they all ultimately failed, to put a significant run of decent performances or any kind of scoring spree together. No way at all we can RELY on that strike force, going into the season.

Someone a few posts above says we will be 'okay'. Is THAT really the target? I don't believe it is. Winger and striker still to come.
As I've banged on about before, we only need another striker if he plays 2 at a time (as actual strikers).
If CH plays 1 up front then having 5 strikers either on the wing or on the bench is a waste of time.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Absolutely this!!! - we were simply woeful last season - none of the forwards that were here last season are good enough unless we want another relegation battle

Don't necessarily agree with this. CMS and Best have obviously both gone. O'Grady probably will go or be fourth choice as he barely scored last season. The one I disagree with is Baldock. He looked good at times, despite playing out of position, and our season went downhill after his injury. With a decent strike partner, I'm confident he'll score goals for us.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Personally I think getting some some creativity in the midfield is more important than adding another striker at this moment in time. We desperately need a winger (or two) and a creative type in the middle. Without a good supply line it almost doesn't matter how good the two up top are. I do think that Baldock will come good though. He was played out of position last season and I'd like to see him played in his favoured role with a target man alongside him before writing him off entirely.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sometimes it amazes me how quickly people forget how SHIT we were last year, up front especially. We NEED new forwards and a new supply line. Anyone suggesting otherwise is either on crack or being bribed by the club to plant some PR out there
I wouldn't for one second suggest our strikers performed well last year but the service supplied was utter tripe. Our first and biggest priority is creativity is in midfield. Create chances first, then worry about putting them away.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldn't for one second suggest our strikers performed well last year but the service supplied was utter tripe. Our first and biggest priority is creativity is in midfield. Create chances first, then worry about putting them away.

I would agree and if not working there is still the loan window after the Prem have named their squads to bring somebody in.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I would agree and if not working there is still the loan window after the Prem have named their squads to bring somebody in.

Precisely. I can't comment on Hemed yet, but I'm confident that given the ammunition Baldock will be a 10-15 goal striker and Colunga and O'Grady could be around the 10 mark.

If not, there will be strikers available from Prem squads. Afobe of Arsenal looked quality today for example. Can't see him getting much action unless on loan...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here