Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Police shooting in the U.S.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Really?..the right of self defence is archaic? I suppose you're the type who thinks the gun is reason why people kill, rather than psychological factors.

London Met have regular armed police patrols, rarely any incidents of shootings...

Think I read recently, probably in relation to the latest shooting in the US, that American police have shot and killed more people in the last year, than British police have in the last century.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
But is there a fear factor from the Police officers dealing with any incident that makes them far more cautious and likely to shoot first and ask questions later.

Poor excuse. If the police really did adopt that approach (which they don't) there would a hell of a lot more deaths and people suing them as a result. This former police officer acted in a manner that he was not trained to do.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
This is gonna kick off BIG TIME

moss-popcorn.gif

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The murderous scumbag has been charged but - even with evidence like that - don't count on him necessarily being found guilty.

There's a weird, blinkered doe-eyed adoration from many members of the public for an over-macho, unnecessarily nasty police force over there that I simply don't get in a million years. It's bad news.

Expect some riots...and who can blame the public if they do take their anger to the streets.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It should. I think enough is now enough.

I'm not advocating mob violence, because more innocents will get hurt, but you're absolutely right that enough is enough.

Looking at the figures posted earlier on this thread about the number of shootings by the police in the States, it's simply unbelievable, and utterly disgraceful.

Unfortunately, the gun culture of pretty much the entire Country, and the shoot first, ask questions later policy of the police is a recipe for disaster.

RIP to this poor, innocent man.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Theres something fundamentally wrong with American police at the moment. Its getting ridiculous.

Same attitude of the US police since the 1930's. They have felt immune from prosecution due to the fraternal nature of the police to lie for each other. What the American police are finally experiencing is that video equipment is now everywhere and no matter how many of your buddy cops testify for you, you can no longer beat video evidence of this nature. I will guarantee you that there is still an American police detective who feels such loyalty to his fellow officer that he will fake evidence and testimony or at the least try to invoke some doubt to try and get the officer declared not guilty or not criminally negliable. That is also in the DNA of the American police forces. I'm sure South Carolina is not much different then Texas where I worked for a few years and where I finally decided that even though the UK has many other issues America and Texas was not where I wanted to be.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Jesus that awful shooting a bloke in the back like that.
What i cant understand though,maybe its just me and how i personally would not act in these circumstances is,if you are stopped by the police,get in a struggle,get yourself tazered and still choose to break free and make a run for it........that to me seems stupidly daft........especially in USA,even then you dont expect to be shot in the back though.

The guy that filmed it was on the news last night explaining what he saw

Dec 15, 2014
Here
A dominican translator would have helped that interview quite a bit.

His newness to South Carolina and the typical way life functions in Charleston plus his ability to surmise the situation quickly could very well have saved the life of this witness.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've never understood the attitude of getting your man at any cost. From initial reports this man was no threat to police, public or himself and was unarmed. In these situations if you're not capable of giving chase just let them go. Not ideal but beats murdering them surely? If he's that bad of a person he'll get picked up doing something somewhere.
Fair enough if he's wanted for a serious crime but a traffic violation?
I think the ego and the thought of being embarrassed a out letting a suspect go is too much for the male American ego to take.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
...but less safe than a white person around the Police.

117 Police died in the line of duty last year too.

In fact since 1911 only two of the preceeding years after that date has the number of Police officers killed in yearly periods has gone under 100. Some years over 200 were killed.

While not excusing this officer and what he did I can understand why in a lot of instances there's a shoot first ask questions later attitude.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Jesus that awful shooting a bloke in the back like that.
What i cant understand though,maybe its just me and how i personally would not act in these circumstances is,if you are stopped by the police,get in a struggle,get yourself tazered and still choose to break free and make a run for it........that to me seems stupidly daft........especially in USA,even then you dont expect to be shot in the back though.

The guy that filmed it was on the news last night explaining what he saw

He was wanted for not paying child maintenance, so would have gone to jail, which explains why he ran.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I understand the S Carolina police have turned on this guy since there is further evidence that he has committed crimes of this nature in the past and is a true murdering racist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here