Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Police shooting in the U.S.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Unfortunately it's been written into the DNA of the country by including the right to firearms in the bill of rights. The founding fathers only included that as they kept being attacked by the British so its place in today's world is archaic at best.

Or just a great big ****ing lie, sold to them by the gun lobby...

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Is this a joke?

Sadly not. Welcome to America.

"The incident on Saturday began after Scott's car was stopped for having a broken rear light, local media reported.

A video of the incident published by the New York Times shows a brief scuffle before Scott begins running away. The video then shows the officer firing several shots at Scott, who falls to the ground.

The Post and Courier newspaper of Charleston reported that Mr Scott had been arrested about 10 times, mostly for failing to pay child support or show up for court hearings.
Mr Scott's brother, Anthony, told the Post and Courier that he believed his brother fled from Mr Slager because he owed child support.
"

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The Bill of Rights incudes the right to organise militia for your defence. This has been interpreted by the gun lobby as the right of everybody to bear arms.

It doesn't help that the arms industry is a HUGE money spinner for America, they simply could never afford to halt the sale of firearms to citizens, aside from the enormous outcry this would cause.

Biggest_arms_sales_2013.png

(Edit: the above isn't the best chart for a worldwide comparison but you get the picture)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Unfortunately it's been written into the DNA of the country by including the right to firearms in the bill of rights. The founding fathers only included that as the ordinary man kept being attacked by the officials in uniform with guns so its place in today's world is archaic at best.

Corrected for you.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It doesn't help that the arms industry is a HUGE money spinner for America, they simply could never afford to halt the sale of firearms to citizens, aside from the enormous outcry this would cause.

View attachment 64436

(Edit: the above isn't the best chart for a worldwide comparison but you get the picture)

SIPRI need to go on a basic history course. Last time I looked the EU was not a country

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I thought putting bullets into a fellow human being would be quite traumatic, never had to do it so I don't know, but you do hear about soldiers and coppers needing counselling to get their heads straight afterwards. But this seems so much like business as usual, nobody in uniform seems remotely bothered. When you consider the inquests and investigations that follow a police shooting in the UK, I think a life in general is priced properly in this country. Not so in the USA.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Unfortunately it's been written into the DNA of the country by including the right to firearms in the bill of rights. The founding fathers only included that as they kept being attacked by the British so its place in today's world is archaic at best.

The DNA is more because of their long and continuous hunting culture. Some of their most storied legends are hunters and frontier men,

If you removed all of the weapons bought and used for hunting pursuits the figures would be far lower.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I thought putting bullets into a fellow human being would be quite traumatic, never had to do it so I don't know, but you do hear about soldiers and coppers needing counselling to get their heads straight afterwards. But this seems so much like business as usual, nobody in uniform seems remotely bothered. When you consider the inquests and investigations that follow a police shooting in the UK, I think a life in general is priced properly in this country. Not so in the USA.

Sorry, priced is a bad choice of word...I mean valued.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

Really?..the right of self defence is archaic? I suppose you're the type who thinks the gun is reason why people kill, rather than psychological factors.

London Met have regular armed police patrols, rarely any incidents of shootings...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Really?..the right of self defence is archaic? I suppose you're the type who thinks the gun is reason why people kill, rather than psychological factors.

London Met have regular armed police patrols, rarely any incidents of shootings...

But is there a fear factor from the Police officers dealing with any incident that makes them far more cautious and likely to shoot first and ask questions later. If you are approaching an individual, how would you know if they had a weapon and if they did, would they use it against you?

If the chance of the suspect being unarmed is extremely high, like in the UK, then a Police officers response and handling of that individual is going to be very different.

In the interst of balance too, how many Police officers have been shot in the US (injured or killed) and how does that compare to the rest of the world (comparing armed with unarmed Police forces and countries with and without strict gun controls)

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Read my post again, I said the right to possess firearms, not the right to self-defence which of course must be upheld.

You just carry on making assumptions about what type of person I am. Obviously it's the user, not the weapon. You can't deny though guns make it easier to kill?

Maybe we have less because the majority of the UK population haven't been raised to view gun ownership and therefore use as normal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here