Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another nail in the coffin of football as the working mans game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Maybe breathalyse everyone apart from kids and throw out anyone sober.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I don't agree with the breathalysers but don't agree with you about it being 'the working man's game'. Surely it's a game for everyone who enjoys it?

And how do you define 'working man' or 'working class'?
it's not any more, or its heading that way , try taking 3 kids to football plus yourself on an average wage, and this scheme is just another attempt to sanitise it, it's the sort of people who go to football that is the reason for lack of atmosphere, not seating or any other reason.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Stupid unnecessary idea. It has nothing to do with 'class' though. Strange bit of shoehorning from bushy there.

Do middle class fans not drink?

The thing is the middle classes can handle their saisons and apa's whereas the working classes simply can't hold their cooking lager, darling.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Stupid unnecessary idea. It has nothing to do with 'class' though. Strange bit of shoehorning from bushy there.

Do middle class fans not drink?
No not in my experience, or not as much as your average bloke, I've seen you in a pub before and I think you nursed a drink for about an hour, I can't be sure but it may have been a glass of red wine, what I do know is , that the bloke I was with (who knew you) , his wife, and me were 'on it' and you weren't.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How many people actually think football clubs are going to breathalyze every fan who might have had a drink? Knee jerk reaction to Cambridge's situation where they seem to have an increasing problem. Clubs earn money from selling drink!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No not in my experience, or not as much as your average bloke, I've seen you in a pub before and I think you nursed a drink for about an hour, I can't be sure but it may have been a glass of red wine, what I do know is , that the bloke I was with (who knew you) , his wife, and me were 'on it' and you weren't.

You've seen me in a pub for half an hour after I drove my CAR across to Lewes pre match to pick something up from said mutual friend. Pardon me for not getting shitfaced.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought these things were not legally-binding?

This does seem a load of nonsense though.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
it's not any more, or its heading that way , try taking 3 kids to football plus yourself on an average wage, and this scheme is just another attempt to sanitise it, it's the sort of people who go to football that is the reason for lack of atmosphere, not seating or any other reason.

There's the solution then! It's a working class game so we're only allowed to attend matches if we earn less than £X,000 a year and we drink six pints before the game?!

What is the salary level and alcohol level above which we cease to be working class?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This has to be a bloody joke....Christ the traditional beers before the footy is under threat o dear o dear shocking.
So you could travel for hours and get rejected because you've had a beer to many:glare:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This has to be a bloody joke....Christ the traditional beers before the footy is under threat o dear o dear shocking.
So you could travel for hours and get rejected because you've had a beer to many:glare:

I fear this might push supporters onto harder substances to numb the Hughton tedium.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would pack football in if they're going to treat us like potential criminals

Palace play-off game away, were not all supporters effectively made to feel like criminals for wanting to attend.
Being searched prior to entry
Actions of Yorkshire Police against visiting Millwall and Cardiff supporters.

I assume you have now seen your last game.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So why can't you make this noise without drinking excessively
Why can't i do both without causing trouble? I go to football to unwind and meet friends just as much as football. I'm perfectly capable of drinking 6-7 pints while sitting on the right side of the law.Thanks for your concern though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here