Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Another forward signing in the summer?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Sima - Try another Championship loan and see if he has more luck with injuries
Zeqiri - Always looked decent from the little I saw, but I don't think Potter rates him. Will be sold
Connolly - I think the club will try very hard to ship him out
Andone - I can't remember, did we pay him off? Does he have another year on his deal? If so, he'll be back for pre season then we'll get rid any way we can
Mitoma - Likely will join the squad and challenge for a place
Khadra- Likely will join the squad and challenge for a place
Ferguson - Get him out on loan, he needs to be playing. Same with Tolaj
Sarmiento - I'm going to go against the grain and say the club will make the surprising decision to sent him on a foreign loan for the first half of next season
Undav - In and challenging for first team place
Maupay - This could go either way. Could be offers from abroad, but just have a feeling he'll sign and stay
Trossard - I think he'll go
Welbeck - Most likely he'll wait around for offers then take up another year. Clearly we can't rely on him fitness-wise. Best viewed as a player that every game we get out of him is a bonus.

The conventional wisdom is that this is miles too few attacking options to start a PL season with and the ones we have are prone to injury, horrific losses of form or are totally untried, so we need at least another two in. However this record has been played before.

I also think we'll sign our usual couple of forwards for the development squad and loan them straight out

On Welbeck I’ve seen reports that the extension can be instigated by either party, so we could tie him down for a year, all be it, open to offers

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Welbeck - Most likely he'll wait around for offers then take up another year. Clearly we can't rely on him fitness-wise. Best viewed as a player that every game we get out of him is a bonus.

Why can we not rely on him fitness wise? He has been available and fit for half a season without missing a game. The club were also very optimistic the operation they carried out in the first half of the season had cleared up a lot of the recurring issues.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I don't know who would come in for Maupay or why he'd leave if he's got the option to stay. I think there's a compelling argument that unless he's sold he'd want to be here more than anywhere else. He's loved here - the press made a point about how he got a positive response from fans when leaving the pitch against Norwich, and his name was being sung on Saturday even though he wasn't playing, Potter always speaks highly of him...and who would he go to? At least if he stayed in the Premier League? Is there a Premier League team that's better than us that might also be interested in signing him? That's not to do him down or make out we're better than we are, but I can't see him going to a side competing for the top 6, which doesn't leave many that don't carry strong risk of being a sideways or backwards move from us next season - Wolves, Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Southampton...the levels of difference aren't that big to take a punt and risk a career-changing move I don't think unless the club wants to sell. Obviously not Palace. Leeds a step down. Maybe Leicester?

My guess is that he is one of the lowest paid strikers achieving anything in the Premier League. Thus will anybody pay him more than we do?

Stumpy Tim

Undav most certainly will be given a squad number for next season, but why do you assume that Sima will too?

After all he is still only 20 and has missed 6 months of his loan spell with Stoke due to a long term injury. I'd suggest he is still some way off the first team squad.

Whilst he's only 20, he's had success at his previous club, including in the Europa League. I see his unlucky loan move as similar to Caicedo's in Belgium - the purpose wasn't necessarily playing games at a certain level, it was about acclimatisation. We'll see, but I'm sure he'll at least get a chance in pre-season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Why can we not rely on him fitness wise? He has been available and fit for half a season without missing a game. The club were also very optimistic the operation they carried out in the first half of the season had cleared up a lot of the recurring issues.

I suppose it was a flippant comment based on the limited evidence of his entire career

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Sima - Try another Championship loan and see if he has more luck with injuries
Zeqiri - Always looked decent from the little I saw, but I don't think Potter rates him. Will be sold
Connolly - I think the club will try very hard to ship him out
Andone - I can't remember, did we pay him off? Does he have another year on his deal? If so, he'll be back for pre season then we'll get rid any way we can
Mitoma - Likely will join the squad and challenge for a place
Khadra- Likely will join the squad and challenge for a place
Ferguson - Get him out on loan, he needs to be playing. Same with Tolaj
Sarmiento - I'm going to go against the grain and say the club will make the surprising decision to sent him on a foreign loan for the first half of next season
Undav - In and challenging for first team place
Maupay - This could go either way. Could be offers from abroad, but just have a feeling he'll sign and stay
Trossard - I think he'll go

The conventional wisdom is that this is miles too few attacking options to start a PL season with and the ones we have are prone to injury, horrific losses of form or are totally untried, so we need at least another two in. However this record has been played before.

I also think we'll sign our usual couple of forwards for the development squad and loan them straight out

Very good summary and think your predictions are spot on.

We need to add goals to the side and if Trossard leaves that will be more goals lost from the first team which will also need replacing.

If Burnley go down I would get in for Cornet

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I don't know who would come in for Maupay or why he'd leave if he's got the option to stay. I think there's a compelling argument that unless he's sold he'd want to be here more than anywhere else. He's loved here - the press made a point about how he got a positive response from fans when leaving the pitch against Norwich, and his name was being sung on Saturday even though he wasn't playing, Potter always speaks highly of him...and who would he go to? At least if he stayed in the Premier League? Is there a Premier League team that's better than us that might also be interested in signing him? That's not to do him down or make out we're better than we are, but I can't see him going to a side competing for the top 6, which doesn't leave many that don't carry strong risk of being a sideways or backwards move from us next season - Wolves, Newcastle, Everton, Villa, Southampton...the levels of difference aren't that big to take a punt and risk a career-changing move I don't think unless the club wants to sell. Obviously not Palace. Leeds a step down. Maybe Leicester?
Champions League football with USG ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think much will depend upon how we finish this season. We are in a dogfight for a top 10 finish. If we achieve that then we achieve Tony Bloom's stated aim. We will also break records for highest top flight finish, Prem points haul, best defensive season etc.

However, that brings a couple of things:

1. It raises fan expectation.
2. It can also mean some players might think "this is a good as it gets at Brighton" and look to leave while their stock - and that of the club - is high.

The way I see it if we start by selling Bissouma and don't bring anyone early in it could be a tricky summer. On the other hand, if we bring in Julio Cesar Enciso after the Paraguay Apertura season ends on 3rd July then that would be interesting. Since opting to remain in Paraguay for a bit longer the kid is on fire, top scorer in their top flight with 10 in 9 games, and should hit the ground running since his season started in February.

I think Ferguson needs to go out on loan next season.

And if we were going to take a punt I think an interesting option would be Jhon Cordoba, 28, the 6'3'' Colombian striker with Russian side Krasnodar - currently under contract but out of the country along with several teammates. I think he'd be a good option to play the Welbeck role, he's got a good scoring record in the Bundesliga. I think Atalanta have been sniffing around him.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We’ll probably sign Mo Salah and send him to Stoke on loan

Don’t be ridiculous. We’ve already identified the Armenian Mo Salah and have plans to lure him over from the Austrian league.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Matthew Benham knows him well.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whilst he's only 20, he's had success at his previous club, including in the Europa League. I see his unlucky loan move as similar to Caicedo's in Belgium - the purpose wasn't necessarily playing games at a certain level, it was about acclimatisation. We'll see, but I'm sure he'll at least get a chance in pre-season.

Maybe, my worry though is that he has played so little football in this country.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very good summary and think your predictions are spot on.

We need to add goals to the side and if Trossard leaves that will be more goals lost from the first team which will also need replacing.

If Burnley go down I would get in for Cornet

Dream topping or simply (knowing our luck) flake?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Trossard will be sold. Newcastle already linked.

Doubt we will sign any other attacker. Probably just a centre back and let Duffy go and ostigard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Trossard will be sold. Newcastle already linked.

Doubt we will sign any other attacker. Probably just a centre back and let Duffy go and ostigard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting expectations low. Nice. Just missed off signing an unknown for the future and instantly loaning them out.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If we bring in Julio Cesar Enciso after the Paraguay Apertura season ends on 3rd July then that would be interesting. Since opting to remain in Paraguay for a bit longer the kid is on fire, top scorer in their top flight with 10 in 9 games, and should hit the ground running since his season started in February.

Fingers crossed for him. It was reported that his agent pulled the plug and he was absolutely distraught at not getting his dream move to the Premier League (and us). We need to watch out for a Newcastle hijack on this one however.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here