Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another baby killed by dog tragedy-why do people play Russian roulette with their kids?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Obviously certain breeds are more temperamental than others but it is always dangerous to make any assumptions about your dog. My dog has never shown any signs of aggression but would I chance him left alone with a child? No not ever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The mother and her boyfriend are being questioned on suspicion of child neglect. Maybe if the child hadn't been left alone with the dog (which has since been destroyed) they would both still be here.

That's the least of their worries. The article quoted above says suspicion of manslaughter.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I see what you mean but put it this way then, Golden Retriever's are more prone to attacking children and other smaller animals than most breeds, including Pitbulls. Fiercely territorial and unpredictable. You shouldn't even really have dogs near kids without you being very close too, it takes less than a second for a dog to deliver a fatal bite to a baby or toddler.

Maybe I should get a Golden Retriever then as a defence being attacked by a Pit Bull derivative ?

Nov 27, 2009
I see what you mean but put it this way then, Golden Retriever's are more prone to attacking children and other smaller animals than most breeds, including Pitbulls. Fiercely territorial and unpredictable. You shouldn't even really have dogs near kids without you being very close too, it takes less than a second for a dog to deliver a fatal bite to a baby or toddler.

What a complete and utter load of bollocks:facepalm::stupid::stupid::stupid:
Always live in council houses, nearly always northern chavs, who pride themselves on having a killer in the house!

Stumpy Tim

Yeah, that poor girl shouldn't have provoked it by being fast asleep, everyone knows that that really goads those ****wit pets

Good point. I usually pity the kid in this type of case, but its snoring has clearly caused the issue here.

All dogs are c*nts. Useless animals that blight every walk to the park I take with my kids.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I thought Pit Bulls were on the banned list.

Why would any normal human being want to own one of these things?

Because generally the dog owners are chavs. They have little intelligence and try to compensate by wishing to look hard. The Pit Bull is a symbol of their dreamt of toughness. Of course if they were that tough they'd make themselves useful and sign up for the Marines or Paras. Anyway surely time all pit bull type dogs were banned.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Awful tragedy. Point of fact though, Golden Retrievers attack more children that pitbulls or Staffies do. I plain wouldn't leave a kid alone with a dog whatever breed it was though, ****ing idiots.

Throw some reports up of children being ripped apart by them Nibble...please. Can't find any at the moment.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Anyone's dog that mauls, attacks or kills a human, should face the crime that the dog commited. So if a dog kills a human, the owner goes down for murder, mauls someone and it's GBH or attempted murder etc etc. That way in order to avoid going down for a crime like that, you don't own a pit bull, bull mastiff or a dog that is capable of such acts. Face it it's normally the usual breeds or cross of breeds causing death or harm. Owners take responsibility of their dogs actions is the only way to end this. Oh and destroy the animal too.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Anyone's dog that mauls, attacks or kills a human, should face the crime that the dog commited. So if a dog kills a human, the owner goes down for murder, mauls someone and it's GBH or attempted murder etc etc. That way in order to avoid going down for a crime like that, you don't own a pit bull, bull mastiff or a dog that is capable of such acts. Face it it's normally the usual breeds or cross of breeds causing death or harm. Owners take responsibility of their dogs actions is the only way to end this. Oh and destroy the animal too.

Where is Uncle S when you need him? I fear this is not going to end well.
#Dingo got me baby#

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Throw some reports up of children being ripped apart by them Nibble...please. Can't find any at the moment.

I never claimed they ripped children apart, I said they attack people more than pitbulls. These are the first few that come on Google but there are many.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080914210722AAd5lCr

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ling-dog-attack-mcgrew-home-article-1.1237732

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-dismembers-month-old-baby-father-slept.html

http://www.nbc12.com/story/21752552/chesterfield-woman-hospitalized-after-golden-retriever-attack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100904182443AA16zkQ

However, after reading a few stats it does seem there is some confusion as to which dogs are most dangerous. Some have Pitbulls as No1, some have Golden Retrievers as No3 after German Shepherd and Malamutes with Pitbulls far down the list. From what I can see Pitbulls carry out more fatal attacks but Golden retrievers seem to attack more frequently.

From a scan read of a few articles there does seem to be an increase in aggression amongst Golden Retrievers over that last 15-20 years. People seem to put this down to breeding. They are becoming more muscular, and their jaws are getting stronger while their behaviour is becoming more short tempered.

I would again conclude, never leave a dog around a baby.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
From Golden Rescue, a website and home that rescues GR's:

These are just some of the future worries that lie ahead for you when you live with a blonde bombshell. But nowhere in all the printed matter will you be warned of potential aggression. Actually there are many who will argue that it is genetically impossible for a Goldie to be aggressive. Unfortunately, this is not true. We have seen a dramatic increase in all types of aggression with this breed. Although many display resource guarding, dog-to-dog fighting and even fearful aggression have been heard of more recently – so much so that some are being labeled with dominance aggression.

If you were to Google dominance and aggression, you will find a variety of sites. Unfortunately, many of them totally contradict one another.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Yes, very true, however I don't know how to break this to you but I didn't actually say ALL Golden Retriever's attack.

I came to find out this info as I had a girlfriends for a time whose parents had a retriever, very well raised indeed, then it took it upon itself to kill next doors cat and then the new house cat. A few years later I went out with a vet and mentioned this to her she said yes, they are a known breed for attacks.

Now unfortunately I cannot contact the ex's parent to verify this or get my vet ex on to come on here but I will say I believe a qualified vet over the experience your family may have had.

Believe it or don't believe it, I care not a jot and it doesn't change the fact that it's true.

thats bs - they are NOT a known breed to attack

retrievers are well known to have one of the best temperaments, and are one of the best dogs for a family if it has been well trained

HOWEVER - like ALL dogs, if you dont train them at all, they can of course cause damage and hurt small children, because they have sharp teeth

i assume your stat about retrievers is because they are one of the most popular breeds, so of course there will be higher numbers. Thats like saying there are more murder cases in the USA than in the roughest part of east london

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From what I can see Pitbulls carry out more fatal attacks but Golden retrievers seem to attack more frequently.

I think I'd rather be attacked frequently by the GR than be attacked fatally just the once by the PB.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
thats bs - they are NOT a known breed to attack

retrievers are well known to have one of the best temperaments, and are one of the best dogs for a family if it has been well trained

HOWEVER - like ALL dogs, if you dont train them at all, they can of course cause damage and hurt small children, because they have sharp teeth

i assume your stat about retrievers is because they are one of the most popular breeds, so of course there will be higher numbers. Thats like saying there are more murder cases in the USA than in the roughest part of east london

I didn't actually provide any solid stats because none I saw agree with one another. I'm not going to re-post or cut and paste a tonne of stuff again but my last quote from a man that runs a GR rescue project and has likely seen hundreds of examples of the species says there is a DRAMATIC increase in aggression amongst the breed. No offence, but I am likely to believe this man and the experience of a qualified vet over your opinion. What people want to believe and where the truth lies rarely coincide.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I never claimed they ripped children apart, I said they attack people more than pitbulls. These are the first few that come on Google but there are many.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080914210722AAd5lCr

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ling-dog-attack-mcgrew-home-article-1.1237732

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-dismembers-month-old-baby-father-slept.html

http://www.nbc12.com/story/21752552/chesterfield-woman-hospitalized-after-golden-retriever-attack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100904182443AA16zkQ

However, after reading a few stats it does seem there is some confusion as to which dogs are most dangerous. Some have Pitbulls as No1, some have Golden Retrievers as No3 after German Shepherd and Malamutes with Pitbulls far down the list. From what I can see Pitbulls carry out more fatal attacks but Golden retrievers seem to attack more frequently.

From a scan read of a few articles there does seem to be an increase in aggression amongst Golden Retrievers over that last 15-20 years. People seem to put this down to breeding. They are becoming more muscular, and their jaws are getting stronger while their behaviour is becoming more short tempered.

I would again conclude, never leave a dog around a baby.

That is a valid point, dogs, like Horses, are often bred to have certain physical characteristics that are essential to dogs having pedigree status. This obviously increases the price for stud fees and puppies etc. however, the emphasis on these characteristics outweighs personality and temperament issues and as such you can breed perfect looking dogs who are effectively psychopaths.
A friend of mine used to be a stable lad at Ryan Price's racing stables in Findon, he said some of the horses were so highly strung you had to be really careful as they would bite, kick and lash out for no reason simply as they were bred to go like rockets and personality traits did not enter the equation.

But, I still see all those stump legged fat headed little barrels as an accident waiting to happen.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That is a valid point, dogs, like Horses, are often bred to have certain physical characteristics that are essential to dogs having pedigree status. This obviously increases the price for stud fees and puppies etc. however, the emphasis on these characteristics outweighs personality and temperament issues and as such you can breed perfect looking dogs who are effectively psychopaths.
A friend of mine used to be a stable lad at Ryan Price's racing stables in Findon, he said some of the horses were so highly strung you had to be really careful as they would bite, kick and lash out for no reason simply as they were bred to go like rockets and personality traits did not enter the equation.

But, I still see all those stump legged fat headed little barrels as an accident waiting to happen.

Agreed. All animals have a capacity to display aggression. I got a rather nasty nip from my Hamster, Nibble, once.

GR's are traditionally seen as perfect family pets and that is probably a deserved reputation. My ex's parent's GR was the most placid, docile and Very well trained beast for 6 years, then it started attacking other animals. That's what got me interested. Stats all contradict each other but increasing anecdotal evidence suggests they are becoming an increasingly aggressive breed.

Pitbulls are apparently not an inherently aggressive breed but their appearance has made them popular with numbskulls who train them to be aggressive. If they had picked another breed as a penis replacement that breed would over time become aggressive. Especially as they seem to obtain them from back rooms in council houses where some entrepreneur has decided to breed them from aggressive breeding pairs solely for the purpose of aggression.

In reports from 1982 up to about 1990 doesn't even mention Pitbulls, citing German Shepherds as the most aggressive, that changes to Rottweilers and Dobermans through 90-about 97, from then it's pitbulls all the way. Trends in dog ownership and newspaper reporting seem to be the overriding factor in identifying breeds as "dangerous".

It serves one well to remember that all dos, whatever breed, are the decendents of Wolves. They share genes. The difference is that dogs have been domesticated and no longer have an inherent fear of humans. A dangerous combination in any animal that I not well trained. Any dog is capable of returning to aggression for reasons that not many owners understand.

Last edited:

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I didn't actually provide any solid stats because none I saw agree with one another. I'm not going to re-post or cut and paste a tonne of stuff again but my last quote from a man that runs a GR rescue project and has likely seen hundreds of examples of the species says there is a DRAMATIC increase in aggression amongst the breed. No offence, but I am likely to believe this man and the experience of a qualified vet over your opinion. What people want to believe and where the truth lies rarely coincide.

i appreciate where you are getting sources from, but you are generalising the temperament of a breed of dog based of the quote of a guy who runs a rescue shelter for retrievers, of course they are going to be more aggressive than the usual GR, thats why they are being rescued

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i appreciate where you are getting sources from, but you are generalising the temperament of a breed of dog based of the quote of a guy who runs a rescue shelter for retrievers, of course they are going to be more aggressive than the usual GR, thats why they are being rescued

Yes, I thought about that as well. But honestly, there are many anecdotal pieces on the web that suggest the breed is becoming aggressive. It is very hard to find any solid statistics though.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against GR's, one of my favourite type of dogs but from the little research I have done an overall picture emerges. Having said that, there are many articles that refute this so who knows?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its not really about just temperament, its about the ability of the dog to do harm. If you take it as read that no dog can be trusted 100%, being attacked by a minature poodle wont do you much damage, whereas a pit bull will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here