Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Andy Townsend

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hughtons good mate innit ...

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Many moons ago, I got jumped by 4 "hard men" with baseball bats who had mistaken me for someone else. One of the wankers was a spitting image of Townsend, so I've hated the prick for years.
I'm glad I was right all along.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The thing that annoyed me was the close-ups on (mainly Chelsea) players while the game was carrying on. I get the need for replays and cutting away from the game, but that's normally when there's a break in play, not when a team is on the attack! Not sure if that's down to Prime, though? I saw a BT ident at the end of the coverage, which made me think BT Sport had some sort of control. But then I've watched games on there where that doesn't happen...
Yes it's effectively being supplied by BT Sport.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I assume there's a "most hated pundit" thread somewhere from many years back which I contributed to. It's very difficult to find a single adjective to describe the depths of disdain I hold for him as a "pundit"

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A couple of other Townsend bits from last night, that I only vaguely recall. Firstly, he basically said the same thing, only using different words, three times in quick succession. I can't remember the context, but remember thinking it was an odd way of speaking.

Then, having essentially absolved Lukaku of doing ANYTHING in the leadup to his goal, he effectively blamed Burn for getting too close to him when defending later on. So one minute, players shouldn't have their hands on attackers, but when they don't and are defending perfectly legally, that's not right, either? Bellend.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Many moons ago, I got jumped by 4 "hard men" with baseball bats who had mistaken me for someone else. One of the wankers was a spitting image of Townsend, so I've hated the prick for years.
I'm glad I was right all along.
Blimey! I was taught years ago that you can accept 3-1 against in close-quarters combat but that 4-1 against isn't winnable. Hope you didn't get too much of a hammering......!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Just be thankful you didn't have the Peter Drury/Andy Townsend dream team. For some reason DAZN often puts them together for the perceived "big" matches.

Townsend's mindless drivel, alongside Drury's ridiculous hyperbole whilst pretending to be a poet.

I just have to turn the sound off. It's unbearable.

I don't like Townsend but for me the Drury/Beglin combo is the worst. Both eye pokingly irritating.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Blimey! I was taught years ago that you can accept 3-1 against in close-quarters combat but that 4-1 against isn't winnable. Hope you didn't get too much of a hammering......!

Luckily I have a hard head and put up a decent fight, no thanks to my (no longer) mate, who just stood and watched.

Aug 8, 2012
To be fair to Townsend (a) Lukaku played pretty damn well - lots of lovely touches (mainly wasted by his team-mates). Only Kante was anywhere near him on the Chelsea side; (b) there was no real stand-out on our side....pretty much everyone had a VERY decent game. Difficult to pick one person out (although I would have given MotM to Bissouma); (c) he completely laid into Tuchel's pathetic post-match excuses.
Bissouma and Cucurella head and shoulders above anyone else. Embarrassing not to give it to the dominant side

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
To be fair to Townsend(Why, I hear you ask) When he was asked, Chelsea were winning one nil and Lukaka had scored the goal. Difficult to pick anyone on the losing side.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Gus poyet what does he bring to football punditry been out of top flight football for many years now

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Gus Poyet was involved in top flight football more recently than Jamie Carragher, Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Graham Souness, Roy Keane etc etc

What's your point?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Doesn't normally annoy me too much. But tonight....

Surely he is paid to be relatively objective? Not quite so one-sided as that??

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
He could’ve saved himself 97 minutes of talking if he’d simply said at the start: I want Manchester United to win.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Doesn't normally annoy me too much. But tonight....

Surely he is paid to be relatively objective? Not quite so one-sided as that??

A Man U game against Brighton on a foreign tv channel, is basically a Man U fan site. Townsend commentated as such.

As I didn't pay for it, i'm able to hold my nose. It annoys me loads more when it's on a channel I have paid for

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So annoying, everything was framed from a Man Utd perspective. I guess was appealing to a non-British crowd though, still a nob though.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
He got one right thing though. Said we could get a bit over confident and make a mistake (or words to that effect) just before Bissouma’s error for the 1st.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here