Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor - Dedicated Journalist

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I get very frustrated by many of Andy's article that always seem to be padded out with statistics which are all freely available on various websites. He almost seems to steer clear of digging too deeply for fear of tarnishing his relationship with the club.

In fairness Andy is up against some very good writers by comparison.
The likes of Phil Hay, Matt Slater and Oliver Kay write far more insightful and interesting articles.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I get very frustrated by many of Andy's article that always seem to be padded out with statistics which are all freely available on various websites. He almost seems to steer clear of digging too deeply for fear of tarnishing his relationship with the club.

The likes of Phil Hay, Matt Slater and Oliver Kay write far more insightful and interesting articles.
Yes, my big gripe with him is that he's a dull, unimaginative (both analytically and 'writerly') reporter. He's pretty thorough, and that's not much to disagree with in there, but you rarely come away feeling as though you've learnt something, as you do with the best writers.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, my big gripe with him is that he's a dull, unimaginative (both analytically and 'writerly') reporter. He's pretty thorough, and that's not much to disagree with in there, but you rarely come away feeling as though you've learnt something, as you do with the best writers.
To be fair, it must have been pretty mind-numbing (and habit-forming?) trying to churn out reams of Albion copy for the Argus year after year during the dog days. And now that there's all sorts of new and interesting Albion angles to cover, the competition to cover them must be pretty ferocious

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Suspect that’s more down to the fact , he is living off scraps and rarely gets any meaningful inside info.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

interesting stats from our resident (not so) ITK.

And whilst I haven't read article:

"my analysis on the rot"

 Rot
? Really?

top 10 PL, last 16 in FA cup and Europa league, no FFP issues after huge incoming transfer fees. Sold out Amex every game. Great manager, Great chairman, entertaining football, scoring plenty of goals, albeit high risk with a few outlier reverses.

Rot?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

"my analysis on the rot"

 Rot
? Really?

top 10 PL, last 16 in FA cup and Europa league, no FFP issues after huge incoming transfer fees. Sold out Amex every game. Great manager, Great chairman, entertaining football, scoring plenty of goals, albeit high risk with a few outlier reverses.

Rot?

I don't think he means it like that. He's constantly reminding everyone how good things are so I think he just means the rot in terms of conceding early goals away from home.

I write this as a journalist who doesn't know Andy. I've had a small number of Twitter interactions, but we've never met or worked for the same organisation.

Right: that's the conflict of interest dealt with.

The man's a legend. If you look at what has happened to local papers in the time that he worked for the Argus, many of them died on their arse. He kept the Argus full of relevant Albion news during the most turbulent, and then triumphant, time the club has ever known. Albion coverage was the only thing that remained interesting in the Argus or on its website. The paper itself had about a thousand editors and multiple rounds of staff cuts. Andy stayed, until he left, and then he left for a job where he could cover the Albion more. We owe him for that. It's bloody, bloody hard to get that sort of coverage out of a club unless you know it, its people, and its fans inside out. My career in sports journalism lasted about a month and ended when I realised I had to interview the manager of Carlisle United twice a week and it had to be made into something interesting for days and days. I failed. Andy will properly go down in history as one of the last great newspaper football reporters. No arse-kissing. I mean this.
Pleased this thread got bounced as this is a very good post I missed first time round

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't think he means it like that. He's constantly reminding everyone how good things are so I think he just means the rot in terms of conceding early goals away from home.
Clearly he does.

EDIT: he does just mean the rot in terms of conceding early goals away from home.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

"my analysis on the rot"

 Rot
? Really?

Rot?

Naylor's copied our astute @Guinness Boy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

"my analysis on the rot"

 Rot
? Really?

Rot?

To quote Steve Jones, what a dirty rotter.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

It’s fairly obvious to me this is what he means as well.

It’s actually quite funny that half the posts on the first page of the forum are pantwetting posts of doom on our form all season, how bad things are without Caicedo and Mac, injuries, leaking defence etc etc etc then in here people getting upset that a journalist dares to use the word rot in terms of our form.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

"my analysis on the rot"

 Rot
? Really?

Rot?

It’s a shame this is being reduced to semantics or honing in on one particular word. Just as it was on the thread where I pointed out the same thing but described scoring instead of attacking.

All you say is true but all he says, except for the word “rot”, is true as well.

We have a defensive issue and we struggle to break down a low, central block. Putting the intense part of your game management up front against us makes sense. We have a defending “rot” but you can’t apply that word to the club or season as a whole.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s a shame this is being reduced to semantics or honing in on one particular word. Just as it was on the thread where I pointed out the same thing but described scoring instead of attacking.

All you say is true but all he says, except for the word “rot”, is true as well.

We have a defensive issue and we struggle to break down a low, central block. Putting the intense part of your game management up front against us makes sense. We have a defending “rot” but you can’t apply that word to the club or season as a whole.

Classic NSC. Self proclaimed 'optimists' who underneath are equally touchy about Albion weaknesses, their anger directed at anyone who dares mention we're not as good as last season.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sorry but after 30 plus years, Stoke's finest can do one. I last read his piffle when we were at the theatre of trees. You are either a supporter or a sports journalist. You either back the club, or write to speculate about how shit everything could be. For coin. Vinicombe was bad enough.

1706748475249.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here