Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Android or IPhone

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd say 50% of my friends have an Iphone and virtually everyone at my office has one; the Frau and my brother both have iPhones. No one I know has had a single issue as far as I'm aware. My phone has only been turned off about three times since I got it which was well over a year ago and it has survived intense sunshine, -20 degrees and it has been pushed technologically as far as a phone can go. It is still fine. And I'm not really sure what you mean by updating. I get the odd IOS update and App updates.......but these are periodic and hardly a hinderance-I choose a suitable moment every so often to update them. I have a feeling your post is based more on prejudice than fact.

I've lost count how many times my girlfriend has had to re-boot both her old iPhone 4 and her new iPhone 5. As for the ridiculous palaver of moving all her stuff from her old phone to her new, using a mixture of phone backup and iPants to move data ( oh and trying to move the local storage point in iTunes to a new drive ) and attempting to manage two iPhones that are used in the house with one PC nearly drove me to drink !!!! I took me nearly two days to get her new iPhone working like the old one - it takes me 30 minutes to do exactly the same thing when I upgrade my Android phone.

As for adding extra storage to an iPhone :angry:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I recently got the Xperia Z1 - beautiful phone.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I feel like I've turned to the dark side as I have ordered the new
Samsung Galaxy 4g with the Android system and not an IPhone 5s or 5c.
I use IMac and have an Ipad so have I made the right choice ?

I have 14 days to decide from delivery today !
Discuss :p:p :rolleyes:

Glad to see you've managed to quickly move on from email-gate!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've lost count how many times my girlfriend has had to re-boot both her old iPhone 4 and her new iPhone 5. As for the ridiculous palaver of moving all her stuff from her old phone to her new, using a mixture of phone backup and iPants to move data ( oh and trying to move the local storage point in iTunes to a new drive ) and attempting to manage two iPhones that are used in the house with one PC nearly drove me to drink !!!! I took me nearly two days to get her new iPhone working like the old one - it takes me 30 minutes to do exactly the same thing when I upgrade my Android phone.

This is what drives me nuts with Iphone. My wifes phone uses about 15gig of 16 gig memory and her phone requires an update. I can't upload stuff to dropbox becuase I can't download the app because of space issues and I can't back up to PC because my work one is encrpyted and the home one has died. It's essentially stuck as it at the moment.

Can anyone with an iphone answer me the question, that if i delete music from itunes (by far the biggest offender in terms of space), can i get it back or will it want paying again? Equally, should all this be backed up to Icloud?

1 X SD card slot and problem solved in my mind.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Equally, should all this be backed up to Icloud?

Good luck with that !!!! I tried it and ran out of space - the answer ? - buy more space :nono:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You mention a PC. I wonder if this is where the issue lies? I have an Airbook, and iPad and an iPhone and all seamlessly interact with each other and I had no issues when I got my new Airbook and switched everything to it. The Frau has a similar set up and no issues. In fact one of the pluses is how you can easily incorporate and switch to new items into your Apple family.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm always reminded of a friend Big Jim in NYC. When I last saw him he was stabbing the screen of his phone, then smashing it on the bar whilst muttering 'I'm going back to Apple' All Apple users I meet always have a smile on their face. This is all I need to know.

Absolute rubbish. There are also some who have Apple products who have a bad experience. Are you a fanboy?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'd say 50% of my friends have an Iphone and virtually everyone at my office has one; the Frau and my brother both have iPhones. No one I know has had a single issue as far as I'm aware. My phone has only been turned off about three times since I got it which was well over a year ago and it has survived intense sunshine, -20 degrees and it has been pushed technologically as far as a phone can go. It is still fine. And I'm not really sure what you mean by updating. I get the odd IOS update and App updates.......but these are periodic and hardly a hinderance-I choose a suitable moment every so often to update them. I have a feeling your post is based more on prejudice than fact.

Certainly no prejudice, I have nothing against apple at all except bad experiences.

This, 100%
Not not "this 100%".

I bought an iPhone 2 years ago. The first one, which I brought home from the shop, was faulty and wouldn't even switch on. The second one worked fine, oh, except the microphone which didn't work at all so no-one could hear me at all when I called them. The other two I had crashed all the time and started to run really slowly if I had more than a few apps on it. I have perhaps half a dozen friends who have iPhones and they all have problems with it crashing / running slowly / dying.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm always reminded of a friend Big Jim in NYC. When I last saw him he was stabbing the screen of his phone, then smashing it on the bar whilst muttering 'I'm going back to Apple' All Apple users I meet always have a smile on their face. This is all I need to know.

Unfortunately, most Apple phone screens will break without the need for smashing it on the bar. I have lost count of friends and workmates who seem to have a permanently chipped or shattered screen. One lady friend broke three screens in about a year, the third time she had invested in a nice cover which should have prevented it but it didn't. Had an HTC for 3 years and other than the odd glitch/internet connection problem all has been fine.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Unfortunately, most Apple phone screens will break without the need for smashing it on the bar. I have lost count of friends and workmates who seem to have a permanently chipped or shattered screen. One lady friend broke three screens in about a year, the third time she had invested in a nice cover which should have prevented it but it didn't. Had an HTC for 3 years and other than the odd glitch/internet connection problem all has been fine.

I'd forgotten about this little issue! I've dropped my S3 on concrete about 7 times (clumsy old me) and there's not a scratch on it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You mention a PC. I wonder if this is where the issue lies?

You may well be right but if Apple think I'm going to buy their overpriced gadgets just to manage iPhones then they're mad. Maybe we should start a World Cup for the Worst Software - iTunes would win hands down.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Anyone that is 100% happy with thier techno gadgets simply isn't using them enough. I refuse to believe anything is rage proof.

I want to smash my wifes Iphone because it wont update and I can't back it up and the lack of SD slot

I want to smash my samsung tablet / phone up when Seagulls player fails to load again. And Autocorrect.

I want to smash my work laptop up because i grow a beard whilst it boots up. Either that or it depletes the battery because it fails to recognise thier is no leccy plugged in it and it continues with its business in 'Brightest star in the sky' mode

I want to smash my digital radio up when the reception dips in and out XFM sounds like it is being playing via a bath.

I want to break into tiny pieces the USB port on my BMW which tells me any media I put in is 'not supported in this format'

I don't need to smash my work Nokia up because it has broke all by itself.

Believe it or not, I'm quite a calm bloke generally. Only technology and broken biscuits drive me to this rage.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Certainly no prejudice, I have nothing against apple at all except bad experiences.

Not not "this 100%".

I bought an iPhone 2 years ago. The first one, which I brought home from the shop, was faulty and wouldn't even switch on. The second one worked fine, oh, except the microphone which didn't work at all so no-one could hear me at all when I called them. The other two I had crashed all the time and started to run really slowly if I had more than a few apps on it. I have perhaps half a dozen friends who have iPhones and they all have problems with it crashing / running slowly / dying.

Fair enough.

It was just that comments like "about a million times better than the iphone" and "unreliable pieces of shite that break down every five minutes and need updating 17 times a day"

says to me that your judgement is clouded by predjudice.

Most of the phones I have ever had have been Android and I've never had a major problem with them. My HTC OneX was (and still is) a superb phone but I've now got an iphone and that's also fantastic and better in some ways for me.

I'm not an Apple fanboy by any stretch but for me, my experience with an iphone so far, is they are brilliant bits of kit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolute rubbish. There are also some who have Apple products who have a bad experience. Are you a fanboy?

Not a fan boy. But I will champion something which I feel is quality and provides value for money. Apple generally do.

I just do not come across people who have a 'bad' experience. I genuinely do not. I have had issues myself but they have all been resolved with minimal fuss by the Apple store. Things do go wrong, obviously, but nothing I'd ever classify as a bad. And Notters highlighted some specific issues which I have never experienced in 7 years of having an iPhone.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've not read a single post on here thus far but I imagine there will be some which resemble the TEDIOUS "playstation is better than xbox blah blah blah" type rubbish that always appears.

For some reason people take SIDES over technology. Bizarre.

I had 3 iphones and I've just switched to a HTC One. All were good.

Which do I prefer if I HAD to pick one? Probably Android on the HTC just because i'm not tied down by Itunes and all the Apple stuff. But apple was also great.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

2 days?

30 minutes?

The last time I swapped out my iPhone I was up and running with a new iPhone which perfectly replicated my old one in no more than 10 minutes by simply logging in with my Apple account and requesting to restore from my most recent iCloud backup.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You may well be right but if Apple think I'm going to buy their overpriced gadgets just to manage iPhones then they're mad. Maybe we should start a World Cup for the Worst Software - iTunes would win hands down.

A phone world cup. A brilliant idea. This is the only way to prove once and for all, like the mantis shrimp and Spielberg's Hook, what is best and who is right. Clearly this is not a flawless process as the Battle of Trafalgerbizarrly beat Craft Beer Co to the best pub accolade but, the odd glitch aside, it generally works.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
This is what drives me nuts with Iphone. My wifes phone uses about 15gig of 16 gig memory and her phone requires an update. I can't upload stuff to dropbox becuase I can't download the app because of space issues and I can't back up to PC because my work one is encrpyted and the home one has died. It's essentially stuck as it at the moment.

Can anyone with an iphone answer me the question, that if i delete music from itunes (by far the biggest offender in terms of space), can i get it back or will it want paying again? Equally, should all this be backed up to Icloud?

Anything you have paid for on Itunes should appear back on Itunes even if you clear you may have to search for the download again but it should recognise that you have
already bought that tune.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here