Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andrew Moran

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Do you not rate Molumby any more? He always looked promising to me
I think Brighton messed up with Molumby. He did well at Millwall, but it was a big mistake to send him to Preston. Preston tried to covert him from a midfielder who could receive and pass the ball, into a box to box tackling midfielder and I think it caused him big problems - he didn't (and doesn't) know what kind of a player he was supposed to be. He is reckless in the tackle, at times it looks like he is running around like a headless chicken - and while he does still pass the ball (he makes more passes than any other player in the Irish team) they tend to be backwards and occasionally sideways, but you never see him getting his head up to try and pick out a pass. He really is lucky that he doesn't get sent off on a regular basis - because his tackling is poor, it is not his game and it constantly gets him into trouble.

Brighton should have worked to his strengths, and when Preston were messing him up they should have pulled the loan - indeed it would have been much better for him to have gone on loan to somewhere like Holland (Troy Parrott has been doing very well with Excelsior this season). Now they may have come to the conclusion that he wasn't going to become a PL player - but I do think there was a missed opportunity for Molumby.

Saying that - he will at the least have a good career in the Championship - he has enough talent to be playing at the top end of that division - but I can't see anything in his game that leads me to believe now that he might be able to make the jump to the PL. He has played 21 times for Ireland - but the Irish midfield is weak - and he is likely to see the likes of Will Smallbone (who can and does pass the ball), Jason Knight, Joe Hodge, and Moran jump ahead of him in the next year (and there are a host of younger kids chomping at the bit as well - Roco Vata of Celtic, Zak Gilsenen at Blackburn, Jack Henry-Francis at Arsenal, Dara Costelloe at Burnley, Harry Vaughan at Hull, etc). Unfortunately, I could see Molumby being on the fringes of the Irish squad and failing to fulfill his potential - which is a pity because by all accounts he is a decent bloke.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Paul Scholes was diminutive as was Xavi and Iniesta.
I think Moran is going to be a regular Premier League starter in a couple of years.
I think Moran definitively has the potential to be a good PL player - but while Scholes might have been 'diminutive', he had a steeliness about him, he had a toughness and wasn't afraid to mix it up.

Moran looks lightweight in comparison and I think if he doesn't bulk up a bit (i.e. become stronger and tougher) then he risks getting pushed around and ending up on the fringes of games. If he plays his best spot (i.e. as a 10) then he needs to be able to handle getting shoved around by big defenders and defensive midfielders (Ferguson and Moran have been playing in Irish underage teams for years - and Moran is a year older than Ferguson - but diminutive stature has always been stark)

6acfd8ab-6d61-45be-9a63-a8b830de328e.jpg

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am amazed you think Andrew is lightweight, players like Gillmour and Cacideo even Bridcutt show how you can be a master in the midfield without being a solid unit, I have seen him have some outstanding games under pressure.

Mark O'Mahony is looking the business in the U21's at present, Valencia really physically pushed him about on Tuesday and he held the ball so well and got his obligatory goal as well, no pressure but he looks like Fergie mark 2. Cannot be long before O'Mahony makes the Irish Squad. Killian had an outstanding game v Newcastle last week especially in the 1st half, great saves and playing with his feet the De Zerbi way.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I am amazed you think Andrew is lightweight, players like Gillmour and Cacideo even Bridcutt show how you can be a master in the midfield without being a solid unit, I have seen him have some outstanding games under pressure.

Mark O'Mahony is looking the business in the U21's at present, Valencia really physically pushed him about on Tuesday and he held the ball so well and got his obligatory goal as well, no pressure but he looks like Fergie mark 2. Cannot be long before O'Mahony makes the Irish Squad. Killian had an outstanding game v Newcastle last week especially in the 1st half, great saves and playing with his feet the De Zerbi way.
I haven't seen him playing for Blackburn - but I did watch the last two Irish U-21 games in full - and he was pushed around in both games, particularly against Turkey, and, with the exception of a 10-15min spell in both games, he was largely on the periphery of affairs. I do believe he has the talent, but I still think he needs to be a bit tougher to maximise that talent.

As for O'Mahony - I have high hopes for him as well. Some of the best young Irish players are coming through Brighton's academy. That demonstrates two things in my opinion - the academy is exceptionally well run - and - they know what players to bring into the club. O'Mahony will have to bide his time - he has the following in front of him - Evan (obviously) - but Adam Idah is playing well and brings something different to the team - Troy Parrott is playing well in Holland at the moment (and he didn't even make the squad this time( - Michael Obafemi (is injured but is still developing) - Sinclair Armstrong (is already been talked about as a transfer target for Palace in January) - Alan Connolly (seems to have figured things out at Hull - hopefully it will continue) - Tom Cannon (when he returns from a broken back and if he realises that he is going to get more game time with Ireland) - plus the kids - Springett, Oko-Felx, Emakhu, Kenny, and O'Neill. To me O'Mahony looks like a clone of Ferguson and if he is half as good he is going to make it as a PL player - but I think he will have to bide his time a bit.

Cahill has the same issue - Bazunu, Kelleher, Travers are all young (and both Bazunu and Kelleher are PL quality goalkeepers - Travers need to learn how to deal with crosses before he can get out of playing in the Championship) and in the U21 set-up Cahill is behind Josh Keeley of Spurs.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I haven't seen him playing for Blackburn - but I did watch the last two Irish U-21 games in full - and he was pushed around in both games, particularly against Turkey, and, with the exception of a 10-15min spell in both games, he was largely on the periphery of affairs. I do believe he has the talent, but I still think he needs to be a bit tougher to maximise that talent.

As for O'Mahony - I have high hopes for him as well. Some of the best young Irish players are coming through Brighton's academy. That demonstrates two things in my opinion - the academy is exceptionally well run - and - they know what players to bring into the club. O'Mahony will have to bide his time - he has the following in front of him - Evan (obviously) - but Adam Idah is playing well and brings something different to the team - Troy Parrott is playing well in Holland at the moment (and he didn't even make the squad this time( - Michael Obafemi (is injured but is still developing) - Sinclair Armstrong (is already been talked about as a transfer target for Palace in January) - Alan Connolly (seems to have figured things out at Hull - hopefully it will continue) - Tom Cannon (when he returns from a broken back and if he realises that he is going to get more game time with Ireland) - plus the kids - Springett, Oko-Felx, Emakhu, Kenny, and O'Neill. To me O'Mahony looks like a clone of Ferguson and if he is half as good he is going to make it as a PL player - but I think he will have to bide his time a bit.

Cahill has the same issue - Bazunu, Kelleher, Travers are all young (and both Bazunu and Kelleher are PL quality goalkeepers - Travers need to learn how to deal with crosses before he can get out of playing in the Championship) and in the U21 set-up Cahill is behind Josh Keeley of Spurs.
All looks good, especially with the Euros coming to Dublin some of these players will be involved in a big event

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

O'Mahony does look like a Ferguson clone but at the moment looks to have a hunger for it. Picking him as a sub for the Fulham game shows how well he is rated. I would have him there again because he looks up for it...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Made his International debut tonight, coming on as a sub in the 79th minute.

Other good news is that Evan Ferguson came on as a 66th minute sub suggesting his hamstring is ok.
The Irish side had a big Albion feel after the 79th minute with past players Duffy, Molumby on the pitch alongside future superstars Fergie and Moran.

Just shows how well our recruitment team mine those beautiful emeralds.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
O'Mahony does look like a Ferguson clone but at the moment looks to have a hunger for it. Picking him as a sub for the Fulham game shows how well he is rated. I would have him there again because he looks up for it...
Yes, O'Mahony looks some prospect but it's worth factoring in that those on the bench of late is probably more down to the levels of injury we have

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes, O'Mahony looks some prospect but it's worth factoring in that those on the bench of late is probably more down to the levels of injury we have
that's very true but players have to take opportunities that present themselves. Caicedo only started games because of an injury crisis and look what happened. I think had we been beating Fulham 3-1 he would have been on. Yes we should put pressure on him but equally we need to see how players react .

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
that's very true but players have to take opportunities that present themselves. Caicedo only started games because of an injury crisis and look what happened. I think had we been beating Fulham 3-1 he would have been on. Yes we should put pressure on him but equally we need to see how players react .
Every player is different and O'Mahoney has never played a senior game. Even Evan was a regular on our bench for well over half a season before he got onto the pitch in a Premier League game, and Caicedo spent half a season in the Belgian first division as well as raft of games in the Ecuador league and as an international. Too many games too early can ruin a player. See Connolly.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Every player is different and O'Mahoney has never played a senior game. Even Evan was a regular on our bench for well over half a season before he got onto the pitch in a Premier League game, and Caicedo spent half a season in the Belgian first division as well as raft of games in the Ecuador league and as an international. Too many games too early can ruin a player. See Connolly.
Sure, his time has to be managed but at the moment we need a bit of firepower and he might be able to supply that.

Don't think Connolly was ruined by too many games his issue was in his head not his feet. Indeed physically he was well suited to PL at a young age but he wasn't mentally mature enough. There are a lot of players like that and they are not only kids.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think Brighton messed up with Molumby. He did well at Millwall, but it was a big mistake to send him to Preston. Preston tried to covert him from a midfielder who could receive and pass the ball, into a box to box tackling midfielder and I think it caused him big problems - he didn't (and doesn't) know what kind of a player he was supposed to be. He is reckless in the tackle, at times it looks like he is running around like a headless chicken - and while he does still pass the ball (he makes more passes than any other player in the Irish team) they tend to be backwards and occasionally sideways, but you never see him getting his head up to try and pick out a pass. He really is lucky that he doesn't get sent off on a regular basis - because his tackling is poor, it is not his game and it constantly gets him into trouble.

Brighton should have worked to his strengths, and when Preston were messing him up they should have pulled the loan - indeed it would have been much better for him to have gone on loan to somewhere like Holland (Troy Parrott has been doing very well with Excelsior this season). Now they may have come to the conclusion that he wasn't going to become a PL player - but I do think there was a missed opportunity for Molumby.

Saying that - he will at the least have a good career in the Championship - he has enough talent to be playing at the top end of that division - but I can't see anything in his game that leads me to believe now that he might be able to make the jump to the PL. He has played 21 times for Ireland - but the Irish midfield is weak - and he is likely to see the likes of Will Smallbone (who can and does pass the ball), Jason Knight, Joe Hodge, and Moran jump ahead of him in the next year (and there are a host of younger kids chomping at the bit as well - Roco Vata of Celtic, Zak Gilsenen at Blackburn, Jack Henry-Francis at Arsenal, Dara Costelloe at Burnley, Harry Vaughan at Hull, etc). Unfortunately, I could see Molumby being on the fringes of the Irish squad and failing to fulfill his potential - which is a pity because by all accounts he is a decent bloke.

I take your comment about Mollumby getting the wrong role at Preston. I think the same happened to Forster-Caskey , came in for 5 games as an emergency player and did very well, went on loan to Oxford and came back a completely different (worse) player.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Another goal today….

What’s everyone’s opinions?

He always looks impressive when I’ve seen him.
Although slightly different player, seems a long way ahead of Peupion.
I've never really seen him play. But surely we must be running the rule over the lad in pre season with a view to getting him a squad place. Not sure what good another loan will do now

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Another goal today….

What’s everyone’s opinions?

He always looks impressive when I’ve seen him.
Although slightly different player, seems a long way ahead of Peupion.
I think he's due a place in the first team for next season. I know that those at the higher echelons of the club have very high hopes for him. Probably the thing that goes against him is that we've got several players that play where he does, and are still short in CMs that play deeper and are more combative. On which, there's still a lot of noise about KDH and, while he looks classy and has PL experience and Leicester need to sell, he also plays the more advanced CM role.
Peupion not up to it for me. He'll have a good career, but is not the player if we want to challenge for the top half of the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here