Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andrew Moran

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Different position, but pound for pound wouldn’t disagree.

Dahoud has been very disappointing so far.

Dahoud is still settling in but has been quietly effective without setting the world alight. The assist for Mitoma was evidence of his quality. Moran is doing well in then Championship and will be learning a lot, which is better for him and us in the long run than him getting the odd few minute in the PL.

Dahoud stats:

IMG_20230928_082245.jpg

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dahoud is still settling in but has been quietly effective without setting the world alight. The assist for Mitoma was evidence of his quality. Moran is doing well in then Championship and will be learning a lot, which is better for him and us in the long run than him getting the odd few minute in the PL.

Dahoud stats:

View attachment 167195
Really interesting, and the assist was good, but does refute some of my thoughts, but what this doesn’t show is the lack of movement and failure to create an angle, which was evident last night.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Really interesting, and the assist was good, but does refute some of my thoughts, but what this doesn’t show is the lack of movement and failure to create an angle, which was evident last night.

The thing is we don't know exactly which player is supposed to make which run. What we do know is they've been meticulously drilled so if Dahoud wasn't following instructions, DZ would be going mental and the player would be dragged off the pitch.

The fact that hasn't happened suggests DZ is happy enough with Dahoud. That's not to say he doesn't need to improve. He does and I think he can and will.

We knew it was going to be tough to replace Mac and Moi. It bodes well that despite being in a transition stage and experimenting with different combinations, we're still picking up wins.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

He's not upto Mac Allister levels yet, but there is definite improvement in what is probably the hardest position to play in a De Zerbi team.

The patterns of play De Zerbi demands are very different to what he'll have been taught his whole career, so it's understandable it will take time to unlearn what's always been required of him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The thing is we don't know exactly which player is supposed to make which run. What we do know is they've been meticulously drilled so if Dahoud wasn't following instructions, DZ would be going mental and the player would be dragged off the pitch.

The fact that hasn't happened suggests DZ is happy enough with Dahoud. That's not to say he doesn't need to improve. He does and I think he can and will.

We knew it was going to be tough to replace Mac and Moi. It bodes well that despite being in a transition stage and experimenting with different combinations, we're still picking up wins.
What we do know is that at least twice RdZ has said he is still learning the system, which would indicate there is work to be done, so the point remains.

RdZ doesn’t strike as someone who would sell out his players.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He's not upto Mac Allister levels yet, but there is definite improvement in what is probably the hardest position to play in a De Zerbi team.

The patterns of play De Zerbi demands are very different to what he'll have been taught his whole career, so it's understandable it will take time to unlearn what's always been required of him.
Agree - so he’s not there at the moment

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Moran has a terrific chance of being integrated into our squad next season. Great that his loan is working out

RoverInPeace

Sep 29, 2023
Blackburn fan here, thought I'd give my view on Moran so far.

His midweek performance against Cardiff was superb. Such a technically gifted player, what's stood out the most for me is decision making, he tends to make the right decision at the right time and has the ability to play a killer pass, he'd have a few more assists if we had a real goalscorer (granted we scored 5 mid week). Our manager clearly rates him too and he's notorious for bedding in players very slowly, I think of all our summer signings he's played the most minutes.

We tend to stick him wide right but as many have alluded to earlier in the thread, he's definitely a number 10, that's where he was against Cardiff and the results speak for themselves. However our current number 10 (Szmodics) is the only one scoring in the league so we can't afford to keep him out.

The general consensus amongst Rovers fans is that you've got a good player on your hands and we're looking forward to seeing how he comes along as the season progresses.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, good to see JPvH getting a few PL appearances too.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

His midweek performance against Cardiff was superb. Such a technically gifted player, what's stood out the most for me is decision making, he tends to make the right decision at the right time and has the ability to player a killer pass, he'd have a few more assists if we had a real goalscorer (granted we scored 5 mid week). Our manager clearly rates him too and he's notorious for bedding in players very slowly, I think of all our summer signings he's played the most minutes.

We tend to stick him wide right but as many have alluded to earlier in the thread, he's definitely a number 10, that's where he was against Cardiff and the results speak for themselves. However our current number 10 (Szmodics) is the only one scoring in the league so we can't afford to keep him out.

The general consensus amongst Rovers fans is that you've got a good player on your hands and we're looking forward to seeing how he comes along as the season progresses.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, good to see JPvH getting a few PL appearances this season.

Please do keep us posted on how he gets on in during the rest of the season. Of course, we can check the goals and assists but it's good to get a fan's view. Cheers.

Oh, and good luck against Leicester tomorrow.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

His midweek performance against Cardiff was superb. Such a technically gifted player, what's stood out the most for me is decision making, he tends to make the right decision at the right time and has the ability to play a killer pass, he'd have a few more assists if we had a real goalscorer (granted we scored 5 mid week). Our manager clearly rates him too and he's notorious for bedding in players very slowly, I think of all our summer signings he's played the most minutes.

Best of luck for the rest of the season, good to see JPvH getting a few PL appearances too.
Welcome back. What took you so long?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

At least you understand how loans work. Shame Leeds fans don't. Good luck

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Paging at @Jolly Red Giant to tell us that he is not all that and that there are better Irish youngsters in the Championship, even at Blackburn!
Moran is a good footballer - and I have high hopes for him - and he is probably the best Irish midfielder in the Championship (it's not like he has a lot of competition - midfield is by far and away the weakest part of the Irish squad - maybe Jason Knight could be considered better at the moment)

To me at the moment he still looks a little light-weight - you can see the difference between himself and Ferguson. He has skill but I think he needs to bulk up a bit.

001eb7f1-500.jpg

Now - some people have to get over the fact that I was absolutely right in my assessment of Aaron Connolly four years ago - and I was absolutely right when I asserted that Ferguson was going to be a superstar when Brighton signed him as a 16-year-old 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Moran is a good footballer - and I have high hopes for him - and he is probably the best Irish midfielder in the Championship (it's not like he has a lot of competition - midfield is by far and away the weakest part of the Irish squad - maybe Jason Knight could be considered better at the moment)

To me at the moment he still looks a little light-weight - you can see the difference between himself and Ferguson. He has skill but I think he needs to bulk up a bit.

001eb7f1-500.jpg

Now - some people have to get over the fact that I was absolutely right in my assessment of Aaron Connolly four years ago - and I was absolutely right when I asserted that Ferguson was going to be a superstar when Brighton signed him as a 16-year-old 2 years ago.
Point taken.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Aaron Connolly is also playing well at championship level.

What?
Aaron screwed up his PL career because of his mindset not his lack of skill. Moran is a more gifted player with the right mindset. He does need to improve his physical strength a bit. Personally hope we have a January recall on him. If he isto an effective Brighton player next year he will need some time reintegrating into our complex (over coached) system .

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

001eb7f1-500.jpg

Do you not rate Molumby any more? He always looked promising to me

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

001eb7f1-500.jpg

Paul Scholes was diminutive as was Xavi and Iniesta.
I think Moran is going to be a regular Premier League starter in a couple of years.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Paul Scholes was diminutive as was Xavi and Iniesta.
I think Moran is going to be a regular Premier League starter in a couple of years.
Agreed, in his position you can afford to be a little lightweight if you have the skill and ability to compensate. See examples of David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Ozil and Nasri etc of "lightweight" players excelling in the premier league. I'm not saying he can reach the level of some of those players but from what I've seen and heard he looks very promising, and would probably be getting some first team minutes for us this season with Enciso out and the number of fixtures. But a full season loan at Blackburn is probably much better for his development, long may his good form continue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here