Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can't see anyway back for him personally. Potter let him go when the only option he had was Murray who clearly wasn't in his plans. He choose to go through last season light rather than keep Andone. Given Andone's comments in the press since hard to see what has changed...

We don't really know specifically what happened. Andone's agent may well have set the whole loan move up before Potter arrived. It may have all been ready to go but put on hold with Potter's arrival. What happened following the red card against Saints we don't really know. It might have been out of Potter's hands at that point, may have been a decision taken at board level. We can make a lot of assumptions of course, but that is all they are.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
All about opinions. I agree in flashes he looks a player, but my opinion for what its worth is I've yet to be convinced he's good enough in all honesty. Great, great goal v Palace and for that I will always have a soft spot for him but his goalscoring record is not great, two managers now have not seen enough to play him regularly. 4 goals in 26 appearances doesn't inspire confidence either. I accept that he didn't start a lot or get much of a run of games but Connolly is slaughtered by some on here for a similar record and is 7 years younger.

Add a questionable attitude, fitness issues and the possibility that he doesn't want to be here either and its a no from me.

I really hope we don't find ourselves relying on Andone come January because his track record suggests he will fail...

You're right, it is all opinions!

I think he's a good player. I like that he bullies defenders. The wonder goal v palace, the 2 vital goals home and away v Hudds......but none of that is what I see in him. A bit like Baldock did, he is great at making runs that draw defenders and open space.

And I think it's a bit unfair and premature to judge him on often playing as a lone striker in Hughtons defence first system.

Day 1 last season away at Watford, he and Maupay were electric together, he and the team were playing great and battering Stains until his moment of madness ..... Anyway, as [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION] said, Ashworth has stated he is in our plans, so we will get to see how good he can be in a Potter team again, later this season.

It was speculated his Mrs couldn't settle here? Who knows what went on, but if he becomes a team man, I think Andone will be great and will shine more in a 2 more than he ever could as a lone striker under Hughton.

At least we're going to find out, once he's fit.

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

I think he's a good player. I like that he bullies defenders. The wonder goal v palace, the 2 vital goals home and away v Hudds......but none of that is what I see in him. A bit like Baldock did, he is great at making runs that draw defenders and open space.

And I think it's a bit unfair and premature to judge him on often playing as a lone striker in Hughtons defence first system.

Day 1 last season away at Watford, he and Maupay were electric together, he and the team were playing great and battering Stains until his moment of madness ..... Anyway, as [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION] said, Ashworth has stated he is in our plans, so we will get to see how good he can be in a Potter team again, later this season.

It was speculated his Mrs couldn't settle here? Who knows what went on, but if he becomes a team man, I think Andone will be great and will shine more in a 2 more than he ever could as a lone striker under Hughton.

Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong...

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

I dont think we will find out as he'll be frozen out of first team squad imo

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did you read Ashworths comments in the linked article that just re bounced this thread? That’s what’s changed!

True, but equally you have to acknowledge the fact that there's nothing else he can say.

He's either (hopefully) speaking the true.
Or
Protecting the investment.

Closing the door on Andone now has absolutely no benefit to anybody.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
True, but equally you have to acknowledge the fact that there's nothing else he can say.

He's either (hopefully) speaking the true.
Or
Protecting the investment.

Closing the door on Andone now has absolutely no benefit to anybody.

Good bit of Friday afternoon lateral thinking Stat.

Clearly you've not jumped the gun on the Friday night drinks!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Didn’t think of it like that. But if he’s not fit till Feb, you could be right as there’s no shifting him then anyway. But sounds like Ashworth is saying he is the clubs plans?

I for one will be delighted to see a second chance Andone marauding around the pitch in an Albion shirt.

Agreed, it would almost be like a new signing in the January transfer window, if things go to plan. I have always liked Andone, l know he tends to go 'over the top' (in more ways than one) on occasion, but l wish more players showed his commitment. Convinced he could still have a future with the club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good bit of Friday afternoon lateral thinking Stat.

Clearly you've not jumped the gun on the Friday night drinks!

TBH it's not really lateral thinking, more so just common sense.
(Very common if even I can see it)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think he's the best striker on our books.
Him and Maupay together would elevate our attacking threat considerably.

It might not work out, but I hope we get the chance to give it a damn good go.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think he's the best striker on our books.
Him and Maupay together would elevate our attacking threat considerably.

It might not work out, but I hope we get the chance to give it a damn good go.

As has been mentioned, Maupay & Andone were excellent together in the game away at Watford last season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Making the loan deal ever more perplexing.

I wouldn't go that far. His behaviour over his time here, including his red card vs Southampton, AND the fact that Bernardo kicked him in anger that day suggests there's something lurking there that may be hard to fix. However, I'm surprised that Potter isn't skilled enough to sort him out though.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Andone is nowhere near as good as Maupay, Maupay has a fantastic all round game that is largely under appreciated, he’s a good finisher, good at holding the ball up, great link up play, Andone is a different sort of striker IMO.

If Maupay does get injured we are in a whole world of trouble.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I wouldn't go that far. His behaviour over his time here, including his red card vs Southampton, AND the fact that Bernardo kicked him in anger that day suggests there's something lurking there that may be hard to fix. However, I'm surprised that Potter isn't skilled enough to sort him out though.
You can clearly see Bernardo spit out gum and go to kick it, hitting Andone.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Unless there's another clip, Bernado didn't kick him in anger; he was just playing silly buggers and tripped him from behind while they were walking across the pitch pre-gram, and Andone saw his arse about it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Andone is nowhere near as good as Maupay, Maupay has a fantastic all round game that is largely under appreciated, he’s a good finisher, good at holding the ball up, great link up play, Andone is a different sort of striker IMO.

If Maupay does get injured we are in a whole world of trouble.

I think "nowhere near as good" is well over the top. That would imply he's behind Connolly, which I couldn't agree with.
I would say there is little between Maupay and Andone, with Andone just shading it, in my view.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

This!

My feeling is that Andone was shipped out, because he would have been an unnecessary distraction for Potter during the first few months of the job.

A year or so later it will be a different story.
I'm sure Potter has the skills and the authority to turn him around now.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Unless there's another clip, Bernado didn't kick him in anger; he was just playing silly buggers and tripped him from behind while they were walking across the pitch pre-gram, and Andone saw his arse about it.

I think [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] may be concerned about the insinuation and possible future litigation :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

But weren't they all after opening day?

My point being his path to Premier League 'stardom' looked fairly locked in under a new manager and playing style.

To then throw that away for a chance to go to Turkey was a little perplexing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here