Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone v. Undav.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Undav is not a first-choice striker, but he's certainly a valuable squad player. The way that he was the only player to react to Caicedo's shot and anticipate a potential rebound made that first goal look like much more of a tap in than it was. I don't think he'll be prolific, but he will score some valuable goals and do a lot of less obvious stuff like that block to enable Mitoma's winner against Liverpool.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Good God, Undav every time.

Andone was an absolute head case. In Andone's "best" season he made 28 appearances and scored 5 goals with an average minutes per appearance of 45 mins. Undav is on 18 apps with 3 goals and an average minutes per game of just 28, plus he's a better all round player (IMO , of course)

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Welbeck has never been a prolific striker. His two league goals this season have been when we were cruising.

Undav looks like a decent squad option and links well.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It isn't a fair comparison right now. I suspect that Undav will offer more, but and it is a big but. Do you think in years to come people will be reminiscing over a series of tap ins? Andone for THAT goal!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
To defend Andone. He played up front in a side that create very few chances. He had a terrible injury which he never really looked the same player after, no wonder he got frustrated.

I put that down to, one that didn't work out. I don't conclude that he was shit or mad and I think some of the comments made about him were overblown.

Undav. To me looks a passable third choice striker. He's demonstrated some woeful finishing, but has also scored proper strikers goals, (against Boro and Grimsby). Too early to really say, but I would keep him for next season, unless we sign a striker who is obviously better, which I doubt we will. It's a bit of stretch to imagine will be become a consistent PL goalscorer at this stage though.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Whatever people say Belgian league is a decent standard and what Undav achieved was outstanding. What was impressive apart from his goals was the number of assists. If he has the chance of a run of games I think he will do well. We only play one up front so not easy to get the chance

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Andone when he arrived looked every bit a Premier League striker for a team in our position. That goal against Palace the obvious highlight.

Then his headcase tendencies came to light, he allegedly fell out with half the squad, got a couple of horror injuries and now is half the player.

Undav because he seems to have his head switched on and works hard, but that’s not to do down the Andone who we saw initially.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don’t think Potter particularly liked Andone, I’m not sure Hughton did either.

Where as RDZ sees Undav as a challenge, he wants to get tons of goals out of him. He mentioned him lost Grimsby stating how essential he’ll be during our packed fixture list for the rest of the season.

I’d love him to be our Ole Gunnar Solskjær (same height). Not first choice but full of goals every time he makes an appearance. He seems like a natural goal scorer to me, we don’t have many of those. I look forward to many more goals from him.
Well what is certainly true of both of them, is that both were singed for the equivalent of loose change, so were worth a punt, and if ultimately neigther of them make the grade, then we haven't lost out financially.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Undav quite easily for me, much better all round play.

Think we need to improve next season though (and that includes Welbeck).
With us only offering Welbz short term deals. (understandably), and with the emergence of Evan Ferguson, Undav in the squad too, l've a hunch that maybe we won't be seeing Danny start too many games next season.

Time will tell.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
With us only offering Welbz short term deals. (understandably), and with the emergence of Evan Ferguson, Undav in the squad too, l've a hunch that maybe we won't be seeing Danny start too many games next season.

Time will tell.
Agree. Before the world cup we might have assumed a striker pecking order of

1) Welbeck
2) Undav
3) Ferguson

Now it looks more like

1) Ferguson
2) Welbeck
3) Undav

And I can definitely see Undav challenging Welbeck for that second spot next season, assuming the current personnel remains the same

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
No doubt Andone was a bit of a bampot. Still only 29 bit that bad injury knacked him.

Big "if" but do wonder how a fully fit and firing Andone might have done ahead of our current midfield rather than Propper and Stephens.

And that goal....

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Pre-injury Andone for me any day of the week, he was a proper player and much better than Undav. I'm sure that when we've replaced and shipped out Undav there will be very few fond memories of him. Andone when he first came in had pace, strength and could finish. He was playing in a poor team with little service and little ambition. In this current Albion side he'd be much better than Undav and much better suited to the team. Undav is definitely settling/improving but he's very limited and to me looks out of place in our side.

I don't think he'll be part of the squad for next season.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It isn't a fair comparison right now. I suspect that Undav will offer more, but and it is a big but. Do you think in years to come people will be reminiscing over a series of tap ins? Andone for THAT goal!
They're different things though aren't they? I look back very fondly on Andone's goal and Jahanbakhsh's overhead kick but I wouldn't want either anywhere near this team in it's current iteration

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Seen some suggestions that Andone was a goalscorer. This seems to be remarkably untrue.

He scored 4 goals in 26 games for us before being shipped out. Yes, two of those goals were very memorable, but he didn't do much else. He also wasn't much liked by all accounts.

Deniz has plenty of time ahead of him, has shown some good touches and played well on Sunday. He may well come good.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No doubt Andone was a bit of a bampot. Still only 29 bit that bad injury knacked him.

Big "if" but do wonder how a fully fit and firing Andone might have done ahead of our current midfield rather than Propper and Stephens.

And that goal....
Yes agreed Andone could be a tad aggressive, but then l don't think a bit of spike would go amiss in any recent Brighton side as we have a reputation among many that we can be too easily rolled over at times. Maybe that isn't quite as true nowadays.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He had 4 attempts on goal on Sunday - the goal, the one he should have tried to lob the keep (ala Maupay) , the header (not enough power on the cross) and the skier. The later looked easier on the replay , I thought he had to move quickly to ball so was rushed.

His link up was good and he did a couple of sly fouls to stop Grimsby breaking . the fact that he had 4 chances shows he does have an eye for a goal so I am happy to see him play at the moment.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
I think some of his link up play doesn’t get noticed and is very skilful and quick. Ball control is under par with others in the team. He is not fully up to speed with De Zerbi ball but then he hasn‘t played much and certainly hasn’t had a run. Ferguson blossoming and Welbeck staying fit won’t be helping. I like him and had my head in my hands when he absolutely skied that sitter from a couple of yards out. Looked and was terrible and gave credence to those who think he’s not good enough, I like him. We are only likely to see him get a run if Welbeck or Ferguson get suspended or injured for a few games though.Pleased he scored the opener, real shame about the miss.

Andone was a head case and I don’t think they are comparable as team players, although he also knew where the net was.

I dunno. Undav worked quite well with Ferguson at the Grimsby game, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them both start next game. RDZ is constantly trying new things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here