Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andi Zeqiri (Now Signed)

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
I see him as a third striker to compete with Connolly as our second striker. What is wrong with that? Would much rather have a young and hungry player with some potential than a dried up coming to the end of his career striker who we buy just to get guaranteed goals for a season or two. This is a signing for the future and who knows he might be ready quicker than we think. Seems a much better bet for progression than the likes of Wellbeck etc.

Stop it with your positivity. :lolol:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Whatever happens we need to give him time... Last season Aaron Connolly scored 3 goals. Is he a flop? No, its all about progression. I would hope this season Aaron will be aiming for somewhere between 5 to 10. So if this season Zeqiri only gets a couple of goals then there's no reason to get on his back.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Well if we dont sign anyone else he's one injury from potentially being in the starting 11!

I would expect GP to move others around to compensate to any injuries to Maupay or Connolly. Alzate is versatile, could he strike ? !! I guess that such injuries may bring him onto the bench. I may be completely wrong of course. Time will tell, the beauty of football !!

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I sense an unstoppable groundswell for a Warren Aspinall Appreciation Society. The trouble, is I can't think of a catchy song to go along with it.
It would have to have "onion bag" in the lyrics, as well as "For me,..." in there too.

I'd definitely want to be a founder member of WAAS! :cheers:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
We’ve just paid £3m for a non league striker :shrug:

A player who came here and was instrumental in our promotion from League One, and then did very well in the Championship, despite being played out of position by Poyet, and being slagged off regularly on here and at the Amex, has done rather well for Burnley in the Premier League. He had a season or more at Paulton Rovers in his early days. A certain Ashley Barnes.

Just because a striker doesn't cost 25 million doesn't mean to say he's bad , I wouldn't be surprised that Andone and even Locadia would have improved under Potters guidance and attacking system.

Potter wouldn't sign off on this guy if he didn't think he could improve our options so let's just wait and see before we throw him to the lions .

Your Point 1: Yes, I was rather disappointed that Potter didn't make Andone take his three-match ban after the Southampton red card, and whatever fine the club would have been allowed to impose on him, then get him to knuckle down and do his best for the team. He could then have been sold this summer, and potentially raised funds for a new striker. Actually, his injury might be of benefit to us in the long term. If he gets fit again, he should be desperate to get back in the team and prove himself, either to the Albion or to put himself in the marketplace.

Point 2: I'm more than willing to see what this chap can offer us. From the showreels, his finishing looks superb, and he looks strong too. I don't think the level particularly matters from that point of view, though time will tell when he's up against better defenders. What does slightly concern me is that he has mostly been used as a second striker at Lausanne, rather than as a Number 9. If he had to step into that position, would he be up to it? Seeing that we clearly don't have much to spend this season (presumably with Darwin Nunez it was a case that we would go all out if a really special player became available), I am surprised we didn't look at signing his strike partner, Aldin Turkes, who did even better than Zeqiri, with 24 goals from 36 appearances. He has already scored two goals in two games this season (against Servette Geneva and Lucerne). Perhaps we did, and it was Zeqiri that Lausanne were willing to sell to us.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
aAfter our signing of Zeqiri this made me chuckle

Tottenham Hotspur have signed Brazilian striker Carlos Vinicius on a season-long loan from Benfica.

The Portuguese club say the loan deal is for 3m euros (£2.7m) and includes an option for Spurs to make the transfer permanent for 45m euros (£40.83m).

Vinicius, 25, scored 24 times last season and was the joint top scorer in the Primeira Liga with 18 goals.

Spurs boss Jose Mourinho hoped to sign a striker to join Lucas Moura, Steven Bergwijn, Gareth Bale, Son Heung-min and Harry Kane

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Let’s hope we’re looking back at the end of the season and aptplauding the wisdom of the club’s decisions, replaying the highlights that include Zeqiri’s winner off the bench against Palace, Maupay’s 15 goals and Connolly reaching double figures, while Solly’s player of the season award proves Potter’s wisdom in working to improve players we already have.

Obviously Potter’s thinking is correct and too many clubs write off players as ‘bad buys’ rather than working with them to make their investments pay off. It also helps the club to stay on an even financial keel in these difficult times. But as he has also admitted, the Premier League is an unforgiving environment. If we get lucky with injuries (not to mention VAR) then I think we’re well placed to ride this season out successfully. If not ...

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Let’s hope we’re looking back at the end of the season and aptplauding the wisdom of the club’s decisions, replaying the highlights that include Zeqiri’s winner off the bench against Palace, Maupay’s 15 goals and Connolly reaching double figures, while Solly’s player of the season award proves Potter’s wisdom in working to improve players we already have.

Obviously Potter’s thinking is correct and too many clubs write off players as ‘bad buys’ rather than working with them to make their investments pay off. It also helps the club to stay on an even financial keel in these difficult times. But as he has also admitted, the Premier League is an unforgiving environment. If we get lucky with injuries (not to mention VAR) then I think we’re well placed to ride this season out successfully. If not ...

You had me til the Solly March player of the season comment!

A couple of good games and everyone’s forgotten the last 8 year’s inconsistencies

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Obviously Potter’s thinking is correct and too many clubs write off players as ‘bad buys’ rather than working with them to make their investments pay off.

Sørloth is a prime example of this.

Palace were lucky to get back the money they paid for him but he is obviously a player on the rise now after his Selhurst nightmare.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Two in 40 years :lolol:

There's been a few lower league to top league hits over the years:

Kevin Keegan (Scunthorpe-Liverpool)
Ian Rush (Chester-Liverpool)
Andrew Cole (Bristol City-Newcastle)

The ones I can think of.

A lot of players went in from development level too. (Michael Owen etc)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
feel sorry for this guy, being talked up to be the next Zamora/Murray straight off and if he bombs will be likened to Mahoney Johnson or An other striker failure we have signed due to him not being the messiah. Tough ask really

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Was he just not picked today? I see Gyokeres was sub for Swansea so he got his international clearance quick enough.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
You never know, maybe he'll come good.
The price of proven goalscorers in our league is surreal at the moment, and it seems like only yesterday Buckley was saving the day against Donny, after the move from Withdean.
So money is an issue, and will be until it's not, but look how we've come on. If we need a shrewd cookie looking after the beans, we have the right man.
Patience - we nearly never existed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here