Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anderlecht vs Genk to be replayed due to VAR f*** up

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Football was never allowed to be that simple because of the money involved and the amount of snouts in the trough.

Imagine, MOTD or TalkSpite's pre VAR output if in the post match they concluded:-

'the ref's human, he made a mistake, but nobody is perfect so what"s next'?

MotD would be 20 mins long and TS would have dead air for 22 hours a day.

Now they've forced VAR onto us, their output hasn't changed, we've just got more pissed off.
Discussing the actual football rather than vaguely questionable refereeing decisions would require some actual understanding of football on the part of the pundits though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally think the ref decision is what should be the correct one. Player encroached and took an advantage illegally therefore his team should be penalised and not given a second chance of scoring.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Personally think the ref decision is what should be the correct one. Player encroached and took an advantage illegally therefore his team should be penalised and not given a second chance of scoring.
That's not the rules though. The ref doesn't have the authority to just make up new rules on-the-fly.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I didn't say it was the rules, just that there's an element of double jeopardy in favour of the attacking team.
I think the issue is that the defending team was also encroaching, which should have called for a retake. Which was the point. VAR looked at the encroachment of the attacker, and ignored the encroachment by the defenders.

A story in English, which gives some more detail:

Replays showed that Sor was inside the penalty area as Heynan struck the ball, causing the VAR to recommend to referee Nathan Verboomen that the goal should be ruled out.

However, the replay also showed that two Anderlecht players had also encroached into the penalty area, which, according to the laws of the game, should have resulted in Genk's penalty being retaken, rather than the match officials' decision which was to award Anderlecht a free kick.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the issue is that the defending team was also encroaching, which should have called for a retake. Which was the point. VAR looked at the encroachment of the attacker, and ignored the encroachment by the defenders.

A story in English, which gives some more detail:

I think you're missing the point. Encroachment should be eliminated so if a player encroaches and scores a rebound then the goal shouldn't stand and a free kick given to the offending team. Players knowing that would therefore not encroach as there is no advantage to be gained. However, as it stands, they can gamble and if they score knowing they encroached, if defenders also encroach irrespective of having an influence in the outcome, the kick is retaken. The current rules are too slanted in favour of the attacking team and I think they should be changed. I'd do it as follows:-

1. Penalty taker scores but team mate encroached. No goal and free kick to defending team.
2. Penalty taker misses and team mate encroaches. Free kick to defending team (Penalty might be missed but ball could still be in play).
3. Penalty taker misses and only defenders encroach, retake penalty.
4. Penalty taker misses and encroaching team mate nets the rebound and even if defenders have encroached, no goal and free kick.

I'd also make it a booking if you encroach. That will be the biggest deterrent.

But as you have probably deduced, I'm not a representative on IFAB so unlikely these will be adopted.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Madness. VAR should just be for clear and obvious howlers. No need to argue because it is so obvious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here