Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anderlecht vs Genk to be replayed due to VAR f*** up

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Apparently:

Translation (according to my browser, YMMV):

The Disciplinary Council for Professional Football has decided that the Anderlecht - KRC Genk competition from the end of last year should be replayed. The Disciplinary Council initially declared itself competent to judge this matter. This destroyed the earlier decision of the Professional Referee Department not to replay the competition. The Council then followed KRC Genk's argument that the competition management incorrectly applied the regulations in the relevant penalty phase. KRC Genk hopes that a date will be found soon to replay the match.

From what I can gather, during the game a penalty was taken by Genk, it was saved, but another Genk player scored on the rebound. But the ref disallowed it because the scorer had ventured into the box before the penalty was taken (note that the defending team also appeared to be encroaching too). The problem is that, according to the rules, the ref should have ordered the penalty retaken, but didn't.

Does this set a precedent for replaying games with incorrect VAR decisions? Probably not. But we know we had more than a few last season where we felt hard done by (and received apologies).

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Getting into dangerous territory with this.

Luckily the Liverpool fans and media are a bit busy today otherwise they would be all over this demanding their game against Spurs be replayed.

Apparently:

Translation (according to my browser, YMMV):

From what I can gather, during the game a penalty was taken by Genk, it was saved, but another Genk player scored on the rebound. But the ref disallowed it because the scorer had ventured into the box before the penalty was taken (note that the defending team also appeared to be encroaching too). The problem is that, according to the rules, the ref should have ordered the penalty retaken, but didn't.

Does this set a precedent for replaying games with incorrect VAR decisions? Probably not. But we know we had more than a few last season where we felt hard done by (and received apologies).

I’m not sure this has anything to do with VAR. The issue was that the referee applied the wrong sanction for the encroachment - he should have allowed the penalty to be retaken rather than awarding the defending team a free kick.

Bloody weird on so many levels though.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Dangerous precedent. We've seen equally bad, if not worse, application of the laws despite having the benefit of VAR in the PL where it's just tough luck - and I generally think this stuff evens itself out over time.

Having said that, Anderlecht won this game so it's not the worst outcome for USG fans that they now have to win it again!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So VAR confirms player had encroached into area, but ref then makes incorrect decision.

Other than phoning the expert refs on NSC to get the correct decision, the only course of action should be, give the ref a game or two ban, issue a statement that the incorrect decision was made during the game, but the result stands as can not over rule the referee post game.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Wow - maybe Estupinans "goal" at Selhurst can be investigated and an Albion win awarded posthumously

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So are all ref mistakes now a reason to replay a game?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is that simple and yet we have VAR….
Football was never allowed to be that simple because of the money involved and the amount of snouts in the trough.

Imagine, MOTD or TalkSpite's pre VAR output if in the post match they concluded:-

'the ref's human, he made a mistake, but nobody is perfect so what"s next'?

MotD would be 20 mins long and TS would have dead air for 22 hours a day.

Now they've forced VAR onto us, their output hasn't changed, we've just got more pissed off.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Football was never allowed to be that simple because of the money involved and the amount of snouts in the trough.

Imagine, MOTD or TalkSpite's pre VAR output if in the post match they concluded:-

'the ref's human, he made a mistake, but nobody is perfect so what"s next'?

MotD would be 20 mins long and TS would have dead air for 22 hours a day.

Now they've forced VAR onto us, their output hasn't changed, we've just got more pissed off.
The ferocity of the backlash against refs and the sheer volume of decision disputes has increased dramatically though. They now have ‘right’ on their side. I think the call for replays is an inevitable consequence of VAR.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I can think of a very easy, uncontroversial and cost effective way of this not happening again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here