Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] And out come the bed wetters... Back the team, back the manager, back the club FFS

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I’m in neither camp, but what you’ve just typed is absolute tosh, and I’m pretty sure you know it, but you can’t handle any criticism of the club so go on the attack. The criticisms that people have will always be there, but they get lost behind the euphoria of a good result.

Nope you're wrong

The wetters are always convinced that the club are about to be relegated and this is because of some inherent fault in the club's recruitment policy/manager's tactics/Player's ability.
This get's heightened after a loss.
For wetters it's all about the threat of relegation right now. It's always about to happen. It's always reactionary.
The words most often bandied around at his point arer "unacceptable" and "embarassing" This is the utter tosh of which you speak.
When have you ever been embarrassed of the club?

The lickers get the club's policy and have brought in to the project.
They know we have the best owner in the division, who is shrewd, wealthy and a fan.
He has outlined his vision of producing our own players and has invested heavily in this area.
We don't see anything in the Wetter's arguments to sway us that th eclub are on the right track.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The bigger picture? One win at home all year, some people need to give their heads a ****ing wobble. Yeah I agree the football is pleasing on the eye but we just ain't cutting it at the moment and Potter doesn't seem to be under any pressure, one home win in 2020 embarrassing. :shrug:

Embarassing?

Why?
We stayed up comfortably at the end of the last season.
We have outplayed United/Liverpool at home recently.

Southampton's home record last season was "embarrassing"
So was Palace's

Who or what causes you to be embarrassed?
Are the other boys teasing you again?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We have a young team.
If we can keep them together and they continue to improve, it's entirely possible that we could be on the cusp of something quite special.

oh i agree, but when will we see this? its not a work in progress, this is team playing together for a while now and we arent seeing the results. we're seeing inconsistency, missed chances and failure to see out games. still waiting to hear what leap will turn this promising team into a delivering team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They know we have the best owner in the division, who is shrewd, wealthy and a fan.
He has outlined his vision of producing our own players and has invested heavily in this area.

I get that completely and agree 100%. However, if we have the same points per game ratio and home wins stats in May that we do now, why should the best owner in the division not consider who should be the head coach, considering Hughton got fired for similar stats?

Is the difference "performance"? Because, last night, in the second half, we looked like Hughton's second PL season team.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Sad to see some people haven't grown out of calling people 'bed wetters'. Fortunately, there does at least seem to be a reduction in the number of idiots who got their rocks off by calling people 'lickers'.

Well done. Now everyone's calling each other lickers, you SLICE!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I get that completely and agree 100%. However, if we have the same points per game ratio and home wins stats in May that we do now, why should the best owner in the division not consider who should be the head coach, considering Hughton got fired for similar stats?

Is the difference "performance"? Because, last night, in the second half, we looked like Hughton's second PL season team.

Theoretically yes you are correct.
But we're not at the end of season yet.

I believe we are something like two points below the tracker right now.
Bearing in mind that this season's tracker expected 5 pts from games against Everton/Villa/Southampton, due to their finishing position last season.
In reality 10 pts is probably par.

Yes, in many ways performance is the differentiator.

This board was full of people claiming not to care about relegation, as long as they gdidn't have to watch any more of Hughton's football.
I was reliably informed that we would "definitely go down" next season if he stayed.
Now it appears that our fans want Potter to change his philosophy, so we see if we can hold on for 0-0 at home and possibly nick 3 undeserved 1-0s at home.

We were poor in the second half last night, and against West Brom.
Everton outplayed us.
That's it.
We haven't been poor in any other game.

I get that some fans need to vent after a poor performance.
I daresay Saints fans had plenty to say after they lost 9-0 at home last season
Now that's embarrassing. even I would struggle to not feel a bit embarrassed after a result like that.

SAC

May 21, 2014
People are frustrated because there was no better time to play Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool as all three were beatable on the day as were Southampton who were very bad in the first half. Burnley and West Brom were so called winnable games too. This isn't bed wetting, it's opinion, albeit not one that the permanently optimistic seem willing to accept.

Expressing this opinion doesn't mean that I have to come up with a suggestion for the next manager because one isn't needed. There are at least 3 very poor teams in the division, with Leeds and Newcastle soon to enter the mix, which means relegation is very unlikely but finishing 6th or 7th from bottom isn't much of an aspiration is it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think that I am now a Wetter and a Licker but less extreme on both counts than most :shrug:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Nope you're wrong

The wetters are always convinced that the club are about to be relegated and this is because of some inherent fault in the club's recruitment policy/manager's tactics/Player's ability.
This get's heightened after a loss.
For wetters it's all about the threat of relegation right now. It's always about to happen. It's always reactionary.
The words most often bandied around at his point arer "unacceptable" and "embarassing" This is the utter tosh of which you speak.
When have you ever been embarrassed of the club?

The lickers get the club's policy and have brought in to the project.
We don't see anything in the Wetter's arguments to sway us that th eclub are on the right track.

Two extremist positions. Perhaps most of us buy into the project but can see faults that are seemingly never corrected. It is difficult to get behind the automatic selection of Ryan (for instance) when everyone in our household covers their eyes whenever an opposition player takes a shot or makes a cross. Overall though I am happy with the way we play and last night we were robbed by VAR not by any decision taken by the manager.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Theoretically yes you are correct.
But we're not at the end of season yet.

I believe we are something like two points below the tracker right now.
Bearing in mind that this season's tracker expected 5 pts from games against Everton/Villa/Southampton, due to their finishing position last season.
In reality 10 pts is probably par.

Yes, in many ways performance is the differentiator.

This board was full of people claiming not to care about relegation, as long as they gdidn't have to watch any more of Hughton's football.
I was reliably informed that we would "definitely go down" next season if he stayed.
Now it appears that our fans want Potter to change his philosophy, so we see if we can hold on for 0-0 at home and possibly nick 3 undeserved 1-0s at home.

We were poor in the second half last night, and against West Brom.
Everton outplayed us.
That's it.
We haven't been poor in any other game.

I get that some fans need to vent after a poor performance.
I daresay Saints fans had plenty to say after they lost 9-0 at home last season
Now that's embarrassing. even I would struggle to not feel a bit embarrassed after a result like that.

Purely hypothetical and assuming no contractual impediments, if you had a choice between Potter and Hasenhüttl as head coach, who do you go for?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Your right no matter how bad the home form has been over the last year you still believe we are that close to being top ten . Need to wake up and look at facts on home form . March Gross good performances over three and a half seasons to far apart . Webster I just don’t see how he was better than Duffy but you keep writing the same stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, genuinely not following your argument here.

In regards to the top ten stuff.
If you genuinely felt that was our aspiration for this season, then I get why you are disappointed.

I didn't think it was.
Tony and most good businessmen, tend to work in longer timescales than just one year/season.
Sure he will take a top ten finish if it comes along, but when he said this, he was challenging his management team to come up with a strategy over 5 years.
What do we need to do to get to our next target.

The plan they have xome up with is to deliver talent from the academy, supplemented in the short term with experience (on the cheap) to plug the obvious short term gaps.
They also needed a progressive coach who can handle the challenge of developing youth and managing the experienced players.

It may not work, but I can see what they are trying to achieve and for me, I can see season on season improvements.

D

Deleted member 2719

We’ve brilliantly won one home game this year.

Unfortunately, there are too many fixated on that stat, yes we need to change that. But let's look at the bigger picture. We are far better than 3 teams in this league if not 5 or 6 teams.
Southampton are a very good side and performing beyond their expectation that has not been seen for decades.

We will be okay.

In Potter we trust.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Purely hypothetical and assuming no contractual impediments, if you had a choice between Potter and Hasenhüttl as head coach, who do you go for?

Potter all the way for me, Saints have far more quality players than we do and it told last night. Hasenhuttl is a very good coach though

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Potter all the way for me, Saints have far more quality players than we do and it told last night. Hasenhuttl is a very good coach though

Which is interesting, because I partly posed the question as Saints are SUCH a similar club to us. Similar geography, similar stadium and crowd size, recent League One and Championship seasons and a reliance on production of good academy players. And yet they appear to have better players and a coach who knows how to get the best out of them.

It may be, of course, that you consider we are on a very similar trajectory but a year or two behind, given when we moved to the Amex and Tony took over in full.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I honestly don't know.
I'm happy with Potter, I think he is a great fit for our club and will continue to get better.

Would Hasenhüttl guarantee improved home results?
This appears to be the burning issue at the moment :shrug:
His record on that isn't particularly good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Unfortunately, there are too many fixated on that stat,

We're very lucky lockdown is a thing then. I can't imagine the Amex would be a happy place to watch a game with the full 30K in when we've only won there once all calendar year and not at all this season.

Would you have been happy to pay north of £30 a game and not see a win at all ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here