Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An open apology to Ashley Barnes......

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Barnes always seems to me the most likeable of our players. Not the most gifted but a hardworking player without much ego who just keeps on getting better, and understands Gus's game plan.

The partnership with Ulloa could well be very productive and it may well be what secures a play-off berth.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
He has really excelled the last few games, and I'm glad. He has never been one of my most popular players, but even I have to hold my hands up and admit he's done well. Just hope he can carry this form on throughout the rest of the season.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
He always puts in a shift, often scores, and does loads to hold the ball up.. I think (and have since the Withdean promotion season) that he is an excellent player. It annoys me that he seems to get the blame for every little mistake, and grudging priase at best when he scores. Yet was top scorer last season. Scored a lot in the promotion season, and is scoring regularly again now.

Other players run around a lot, often dont QUITE get on the end of things, make as many if not more mistakes, yet seem to be heroes...

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
He seems to be improving as a footballer which is good to see - and what you would expect too of someone his age. Let's hope he can keep his current level up though as he has not performed consistently well IMO since he has been with us. He has had spells when he's been absolutely awful.

binney's tache

Oct 26, 2010
tora bora mountains
I've been making that point for years. People still trot out '1 in 5' as a stick to beat him with. Often followed up with "yeah, but what about all the times he doesn't get a shot away?" ignoring all the times suarez, rooney, rvp, etc. don't manage to get shots away.

View attachment 39035
(figures from ssn/espnsoccernet - percentages may be a little out, sometimes goals are included as a shot, sometimes not. The second barnes column removed his penalties league only)

Never doubted or slagged him, couple of jcl muppets infront of me in the north always slating. Barnes is answering more and more with every game. People who can't read a game or never played don't realise what this lad gives to the team. Mom yesterday without a doubt!!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
No-one can re-write recent history - Barnes has been really frustrating at times - we've all seen games where he seemed to go missing, and lashed out at chances that could have been converted (or passed to better placed team-mates) with a bit of composure. But he's young and has always had Poyet's respect and has a knack of popping up with crucial goals more regularly than many realise. Now he really seems to be finding his stride and is making a fantastic contribution. Fair play to the fella.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here