Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An open apology to Ashley Barnes......

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
First of all I just want to state that I have never booed this player...
However I have stated that this player was not good enough at this level. Mr Barnes if I could shake your hand I would. I watched you from row A at withdean get in countless goal scoring positions maybe taking 1 in 5 chances... Still your goals in the promotion seasons were vital. Yes last year you were our top goal scorer but perhaps my ambition got ahead of me.... I didn't think you were good enough at this level.
The 1st 3 months of this season I found myself doubting Gus for his blind faith in picking you week in week out. However the last few weeks you have stepped up to the plate. No one can doubt your goal ratio now you are in a central position. But today you were magnificent... I hope you heard your song today... I joined in... .
Mr Barnes you have shut me right up...I hope this continues....

P.S the above was a football opinion only, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Barnes at my sons Xmas party last year..... Smashing fella

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Well said BHABen. Ashley is still young and his performance today was excellent. People should get off his back.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
He's never been a wide player, always an attacker. Fair play to him though, he seems to of got his head together recently.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think with Dobbie signing, Hoskins being fit and now Ulloa, Barnes realised he needs to up his game. His effort seems a lot better now and seems to look for fouls less.

Also his all round game has improved a lot

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think with Dobbie signing, Hoskins being fit and now Ulloa, Barnes realised he needs to up his game. His effort seems a lot better now and seems to look for fouls less.

Also his all round game has improved a lot
Harsh - he's always given 100%. Where Barnes wins is that when he does get dropped, he seems to come back fully refreshed. Barnes is one of the best signings Gus has ever made and will ever make.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I'm struggling to understand what people expect of our players.

Suarez has taken 129 shots this season and scored 16 (12%)
Van Persie 18/84 (21%)
Ba 13/89 (15%)
Michu 13/66 (20%)

How many strikers score with every other shot?

I've just looked at the espn stats and I'm not sure it's up to date, but for Barnes it's 7/41 (combining his stats from today with the others)... That's 17%

which is BETTER than Ba and Suarez!!! Note: THEY PLAY AS A STRIKER EVERY GAME!

He had two shots today. One was a goal, the other drew a great save from the keeper. Not bad.at.all.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm struggling to understand what people expect of our players.

Suarez has taken 129 shots this season and scored 16 (12%)
Van Persie 18/84 (21%)
Ba 13/89 (15%)
Michu 13/66 (20%)

How many strikers score with every other shot?

I've been making that point for years. People still trot out '1 in 5' as a stick to beat him with. Often followed up with "yeah, but what about all the times he doesn't get a shot away?" ignoring all the times suarez, rooney, rvp, etc. don't manage to get shots away.

strikers2.jpg
(figures from ssn/espnsoccernet - percentages may be a little out, sometimes goals are included as a shot, sometimes not. The second barnes column removed his penalties league only)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't get to watch very often but i thought he was excellent yesterday. Works extremely hard, unlucky with his first attempt on goal (which I see someone in the player ratings thread said was a howling miss!), took his goal well and if the knobber Beckham had made that cross for Ulloa's goal, some of here would have made a mess in their pants! Hard to drop him on that form and I can understand why Gus likes him. Cannot see Dobbie or Hoskins doing what he does for the team.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The cross for Ulloa's goal was exceptional, weighted perfectly, positioned perfectly and Ulloa scored it perfectly.

and well done to the OP for holding his hands up, takes a big man to admit that.

Nuff said.

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Well played OP,

Paying against arsenal and getting one goal and one assist is the best way to prove his worth to anybody!!!

Still think he will continue to improve even further year on year under Gus as well......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here