An olive branch to the Potter outs tonight

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No need to grow up thanks.

Longwinded rationalisation doesn't work well on NSC. "Bedwetter" is very useful shorthand for describing a certain type of NSC contribution common during 2020.

(BTW I am well aware this post won't be popular - either with bedwetters or some more lofty-minded NSC regular posters)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm ambivalent on Potter personally, I like the positivity he exudes and the style of play. However, football IS result driven, the fact we have picked six points from Spurs and Liverpool is amazing, he has bought himself more time. But if we lose the next six the pressure will return again, remember nobody " wins" an argument about whether a manager stays or should go.

I fear the abuse you have had for sticking up for him is grossly unfair but in recent years it seems ALL " arguments" ie, differing viewpoints, end up getting spiteful and vindictive in a very short time. You see this across many platforms and man subjects and it's really sad it has come to this.

I totally agree.
Intolerance rearing its ugly head at every opportunity. Little or no attempt to see reason or another viewpoint. Insults thrown all too readily, with no real thought given to feeling.
Life is result driven. Thats why children sit exams and thats why football managers get sacked ( often ) With over 55 years watching BHA, I have seen all manner of managers and coaches, playing a variety of different styles. None of it has mattered that much to me, as long as we were successful. Up to 4 games ago, Graham Potter's record was no better than his predecessor. But I could see the difference and what he was trying to do and at times we looked very good. Too often, for my liking, however, we played at the wrong tempo, we leaked too many goals and at the other end, we didn't score enough. We did, however, despite a disrupted team, continue to create quite a few chances. That offered some hope that we could be heading in the right direction. I was still not entirely convinced though. I thought it was more important to sort the back out than the front. Fair play. He brought in a much bigger keeper, who has transformed the confidence of the entire back line. This one single move has kickstarted us. The players regrouped at HT in the Wolves game and that momentum is now paying dividends. A more settled team, a confident back line, a higher tempo in our play and results are now following. For a side that is still not scoring many goals, shoring up the back was vital and must be maintained. With renewed confidence, hopefully more goals will follow.
Potter has bought himself a lot more time. A strong finish now and even beating last years points total ( unthinkable a few games ago ) is possible. My mood is better. I am looking forward to every game now. All rosy for the time being but I am as fickle as the next man and managers are there to be shot at. Lets hope he ducks any more bullets that come his way.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You will never ever get fans supporting as one. Humans are just not like that. Some will moan whatever happens and some will always be optimistic. Some of us, couldn't see how it was going to improve, but improve it has and we're very thankful.

Nsc is a very broad range of opinions and I think posters should stop telling others what to think. Difference of opinions is what makes a football forum. There would only be one thread a day if it was otherwise.

I suppose though it goes beyond having different opinions. There's proper venom on both sides. That's what needs to be addressed.

Disagreeing is fine, but the continued personal insults which come off the back of it are driving a wedge between our fan base

We just need to take the heat out of these conversations, (see Joe Bidens inauguration speech for more details)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I suppose though it goes beyond having different opinions. There's proper venom on both sides. That's what needs to be addressed.

Disagreeing is fine, but the continued personal insults which come off the back of it are driving a wedge between our fan base

We just need to take the heat out of these conversations, (see Joe Bidens inauguration speech for more details)

Get Gerry Adams on the Albion Roar?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You will never ever get fans supporting as one. Humans are just not like that. Some will moan whatever happens and some will always be optimistic. Some of us, couldn't see how it was going to improve, but improve it has and we're very thankful.

Nsc is a very broad range of opinions and I think posters should stop telling others what to think. Difference of opinions is what makes a football forum. There would only be one thread a day if it was otherwise.

It’s not been about opinions or ‘in and out’ - certainly not for me anyway. Some people have completely missed the point - it’s the abusive tantrum throwers who were reminded of their actions - only a handful. But that’s life, people will always view things differently.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s not been about opinions or ‘in and out’ - certainly not for me anyway. Some people have completely missed the point - it’s the abusive tantrum throwers who were reminded of their actions - only a handful. But that’s life, people will always view things differently.

Ignore the abusive ones and leave the moderators to deal with them.

We are all Albion fans in our own way. :smile:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

This can only be achieved by those comfortable with changing their mind. Perhaps even more crucially they would need to understand that others can change their mind without seeing it as some sort of betrayal. Anyone who defines themself and every one of their posts as Potter In or Out is going to struggle to understand the swings and roundabouts of other people’s opinions.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ignore the abusive ones and leave the moderators to deal with them.

We are all Albion fans in our own way. :smile:

As I’ve always said, healthy debate and diff opinions are great and what NSC is for. I’ve certainly got things wrong before and held my hands up to deliberately point it out - not for fear of someone bumping it or anything! But I do feel posting style comes into it. I’ve always said - make bold statements and label them as almost ‘fact’ and it will come back to make you look very silly...!

But yes - as I’ve tried to say on this thread many times (yet a poster can’t seem to let it go after I’ve written it) - it’s time to get behind the team as one - that much we all should be able to agree on!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I agree with your general point.

I have no issue whatever side people are on, but if they are abusive or rude, I will return in kind. There are plenty of people of differing opinions here I enjoy talking to.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I agree with your general point.

I have no issue whatever side people are on, but if they are abusive or rude, I will return in kind. There are plenty of people of differing opinions here I enjoy talking to.

It doesn't do much to defuse the situation.

Sometimes you can be right, about a specific point, but miss that there is a bigger picture

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
I've always believed in Potter as you could see that the team were well coached and improving. Some of the first touch football is joyful compared to where we were a couple of seasons back, and equally the determination and effectiveness of the press and the pace at which we get back into shape is something to behold.
However, although always a Potter advocate, I was beginning to doubt due to our horrific set piece defending and the 3-1 half time at Wolves pushed me very, very close to the limit. I said then that the second half would be critical and the response from the players assuaged any doubt.
I'm delighted for the manager and the players that luck has turned a bit but I still have underling concerns around our profligacy in front of goal and our depth at left back. To a man, you cannot fault the effort that the coaches and players have put in and you can see there is belief as a unit.
We're in a good "moment" right now but I do get the sense that these good moments will become more frequent and last longer.

Good post mate. I am also a big Potter fan and my belief was shaken for sure. I had never seen a team play so well and flatter to deceive so much in front of goal. I'm hoping we can be a bit more 'free scoring' with the confidence recent results will have given us. If we can add goals to this team then we'll rocket up the league. UTA.

:bhasign:

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
Hard not to. I stopped visiting NSC because I was getting so infuriated with the inability of the out crowd to separate results from performance. And let's face it we could easily have had a different result with Sanchez getting very lucky late in the second half, but you see this is what the outs don't get, luck or rather the lack of it has played a big part in our "poor performances" along with actual poor finishing that Potter can hardly be blamed for (his job is to set the team up so they can do their job, which he has clearly done) So no, I am not prepared to offer an olive branch. Rather I will ask that these people settle down, stop throwing peanuts and evaluate what is actually happening on the pitch rather than using the points position to exclaim that we were better off under CH, no we weren't.

This perfectly makes the point. I wouldn’t actually say we have been dramatically better in the last few games just had the luck that has been missing. I wonder if our stats prove my point? [emoji2373][emoji2373]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This perfectly makes the point. I wouldn’t actually say we have been dramatically better in the last few games just had the luck that has been missing. I wonder if our stats prove my point? [emoji2373][emoji2373]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the opposite impression. The defence is more solid and we are both breaking and covering back quicker as a team. The passing is at a higher tempo and set pieces have improved. It’s not as if we are suddenly converting more chances but we are definitely more difficult to break down. A more settled central defence and the upturn in form of Webster and Dunk are certainly helping. If we were suddenly beating teams 3 or 4 nil I would be more prepared to buy into the ‘better luck’ argument.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I totally agree.
Intolerance rearing its ugly head at every opportunity. Little or no attempt to see reason or another viewpoint. Insults thrown all too readily, with no real thought given to feeling.
Life is result driven. Thats why children sit exams and thats why football managers get sacked ( often ) With over 55 years watching BHA, I have seen all manner of managers and coaches, playing a variety of different styles. None of it has mattered that much to me, as long as we were successful. Up to 4 games ago, Graham Potter's record was no better than his predecessor. But I could see the difference and what he was trying to do and at times we looked very good. Too often, for my liking, however, we played at the wrong tempo, we leaked too many goals and at the other end, we didn't score enough. We did, however, despite a disrupted team, continue to create quite a few chances. That offered some hope that we could be heading in the right direction. I was still not entirely convinced though. I thought it was more important to sort the back out than the front. Fair play. He brought in a much bigger keeper, who has transformed the confidence of the entire back line. This one single move has kickstarted us. The players regrouped at HT in the Wolves game and that momentum is now paying dividends. A more settled team, a confident back line, a higher tempo in our play and results are now following. For a side that is still not scoring many goals, shoring up the back was vital and must be maintained. With renewed confidence, hopefully more goals will follow.
Potter has bought himself a lot more time. A strong finish now and even beating last years points total ( unthinkable a few games ago ) is possible. My mood is better. I am looking forward to every game now. All rosy for the time being but I am as fickle as the next man and managers are there to be shot at. Lets hope he ducks any more bullets that come his way.

I could not have put it any better ! All I can add is this, up to very recently it's been like the Morecambe and Wise sketch with Andre Previn " The notes are all in there, I'm just playing them in the wrong order " ... now suddenly they are in the right order !

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
It can be hard to be patient. All the signs were there that we were going to get there if you could look beyond home wins and points. No doubt Sanchez has made a huge difference.
Sometimes you need some things to go your way and then take advantage. No Phillips for Leeds, no Kane for Spurs, no Mane for Liverpool. In first part of the season it never seemed to go our way.
Long may it continue. Wood out for Burnley and Zaha out for Palace.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have always been Potter in, what we need to remember is that there will be times when we have a bad run of games, when this happens we need to remember the last 2 games. Rome wasn't built in a day, this is an ongoing project.

What Potter has achieved in the way we play is remarkable, yes we are trying to play like Man City but we must remember we don't have £30,40,50 million pound players like them. I believe we must be thankful that we have a coach like him, Potter is destined for big things and hopefully it's with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports