Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
No need to grow up thanks.

Longwinded rationalisation doesn't work well on NSC. "Bedwetter" is very useful shorthand for describing a certain type of NSC contribution common during 2020.

(BTW I am well aware this post won't be popular - either with bedwetters or some more lofty-minded NSC regular posters)

Clearly you do need to grow up if you think using infantile words and name calling is an appropriate way to communicate with other people, especially if the only crime that they’ve committed is having a different opinion to the one that you hold.
The word is embarrassing and immediately removes any credence that a post may have contained. Generally if I spot that word in sentence or paragraph I’ll skip the rest of the post because it’ll probably be fairly worthless.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I've never been Potter out as the whole project needs someone like Potter as the head coach. Things have recently clicked and I'm delighted with it but we need to appreciate that a bad run of results will come but the bigger picture is looking amazing especially considering the young talent waiting in the wings to take their chance

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Vagabond you come across like a right little shit your posts all come across as look at me
I am over the moon the team has won 10 points out of last 12 but all the bouncing of old threads etc by certain smug posters is pathetic and I say it now this is a forum where people have different opinions so if you don’t like mine put me on ignore and don’t give a **** or a shit don’t bounce it and make out your some sort of bloody super fan
Too many cocks on this board

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Hard not to. I stopped visiting NSC because I was getting so infuriated with the inability of the out crowd to separate results from performance. And let's face it we could easily have had a different result with Sanchez getting very lucky late in the second half, but you see this is what the outs don't get, luck or rather the lack of it has played a big part in our "poor performances" along with actual poor finishing that Potter can hardly be blamed for (his job is to set the team up so they can do their job, which he has clearly done) So no, I am not prepared to offer an olive branch. Rather I will ask that these people settle down, stop throwing peanuts and evaluate what is actually happening on the pitch rather than using the points position to exclaim that we were better off under CH, no we weren't.

I have to disagree with you.

My opinion on Potter was mainly down to performances, very little to do with points and nothing to do with CH.

Personally I think recently we've looked like a different team. I find it hard that you can't see that.

Disciple

Dec 27, 2020
I had three major gripes with Potter and they were the slow style of football that meant we had to break down deep defences, the awful set pieces and his often bizarre substitutions.

I mm really pleased that all the have changed. We play a faster style in 2021 with more vertical passing and a deeper defensive block so we aren't just tippy tappy round the back with ultra slow build up play. That's giving the forwards space to work and confidence. Space is your friend and we actually now counter to go with possession football, its balanced and a big improvement stylistically. Potter has adapted and finally recognised the need for something different, it is paying dividends now. I know we created chances before but it was always with 7 or 8 players defending in the box. Recently it has been a lot fewer players as the 1v1 heater for BDB highlighted, he would never have had that with more defenders around to help challenge him.

Set pieces are also a huge improvement from the short corners and easily conceding goals. A team with big players play like they have big players at set pieces.

And his substitutions are moving now in the flow of the game. He isn't bringing on odd players who make no impact but like for like replacements for energy on the pitch.

So I'll happily admit I was wrong and hope that 2020 was just a weird year in all ways. 2019 was good and 2021 has started fantastically, let's hope it continues.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I could not have put it any better ! All I can add is this, up to very recently it's been like the Morecambe and Wise sketch with Andre Previn " The notes are all in there, I'm just playing them in the wrong order " ... now suddenly they are in the right order !

I couldn’t agree more [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hard not to. I stopped visiting NSC because I was getting so infuriated with the inability of the out crowd to separate results from performance. And let's face it we could easily have had a different result with Sanchez getting very lucky late in the second half, but you see this is what the outs don't get, luck or rather the lack of it has played a big part in our "poor performances" along with actual poor finishing that Potter can hardly be blamed for (his job is to set the team up so they can do their job, which he has clearly done) So no, I am not prepared to offer an olive branch. Rather I will ask that these people settle down, stop throwing peanuts and evaluate what is actually happening on the pitch rather than using the points position to exclaim that we were better off under CH, no we weren't.
Just thought you'd like another look at Sanchez getting very lucky late in the second half ..............................

BOB1.gif

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just thought you'd like another look at Sanchez getting very lucky late in the second half ..............................

BOB1.gif

I think he means the dodgy mis-kick out tbf. But then I wouldn’t say he got ‘very lucky’ but could have lead to a chance for them...

This is bang on though:

‘ So no, I am not prepared to offer an olive branch. Rather I will ask that these people settle down, stop throwing peanuts and evaluate what is actually happening on the pitch rather than using the points position to exclaim that we were better off under CH, no we weren't.’

Think a lot of the whiners who know there’s horrendously harsh OTT comments about Potter etc out there from them have tried to fight fire with fire and make out those digging up the nonsense are being smug or sad...!

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I have the opposite impression. The defence is more solid and we are both breaking and covering back quicker as a team. The passing is at a higher tempo and set pieces have improved. It’s not as if we are suddenly converting more chances but we are definitely more difficult to break down. A more settled central defence and the upturn in form of Webster and Dunk are certainly helping. If we were suddenly beating teams 3 or 4 nil I would be more prepared to buy into the ‘better luck’ argument.

Sure the Potterball has improved am not suggesting it hasn't. but we are still playing the same style of football, the better results are not because there has been a major re evaluation of tactics and a change in style, so it just shows that the out crowd were/still are unable to see that there is a clear and steady progression to better results. Pissing off Ryan was overdue, but maybe GP was waiting for the nod from the goalkeeping coaches regarding Sanchez progress, no point throwing him in early, who knows. And yes there have been a few bits of luck that for a change have gone our way.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ve said it a hundred times football is a results based business nothing else, we will remember beating Liverpool away for years to come. We won’t remember that time we battered Fulham and couldn’t score to save ourselves.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

BOB1.gif

When he collected that, I immediatly thought about how dangerous that could have been with Ryan in goal.

I dont like to be harsh against players/ex players, and not kick on people already laying down (feels better now when he's at Arsenal though)... but I wonder if Ryans 47% save ratio this season is the worst ever in the PL, I almost think so. Maybe Potter should have made that swap earlier. At the same time, pleased that he did at all, lots of coaches wouldnt have dared.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
When he collected that, I immediatly thought about how dangerous that could have been with Ryan in goal.

I dont like to be harsh against players/ex players, and not kick on people already laying down (feels better now when he's at Arsenal though)... but I wonder if Ryans 47% save ratio this season is the worst ever in the PL, I almost think so. Maybe Potter should have made that swap earlier. At the same time, pleased that he did at all, lots of coaches wouldnt have dared.

Same here, I hold nothing against Potter with how he managed the goalkeeper situation, whilst many had doubts about Ryan realistically not too many world have expected Sanchez to be the man to usurp him. Again, I don’t mind that it took him a while to do make the change, but I’m sure glad he did, and that’s not meant to disrespect Maty in any way.

Disciple

Dec 27, 2020
Sure the Potterball has improved am not suggesting it hasn't. but we are still playing the same style of football, the better results are not because there has been a major re evaluation of tactics and a change in style, so it just shows that the out crowd were/still are unable to see that there is a clear and steady progression to better results. Pissing off Ryan was overdue, but maybe GP was waiting for the nod from the goalkeeping coaches regarding Sanchez progress, no point throwing him in early, who knows. And yes there have been a few bits of luck that for a change have gone our way.

The overall style of how to play and passing patterns is the same, that's not what people see recognising. What we're seeing is a change in how high the defensive line plays and how quickly we move the ball forward. Both have changed where they didn't in the entirety of 2020. We're stretching the pitch and giving more space to create chances.

I also think that having a goal scoring chance with 5 defenders against you is mentally easier than having 10 against you defending in the box. Our attempts to increase the tempo gives the team more confidence. Sitting the defence deeper is allowing Webster and Dunk to play better at what they do best defensively.

It may seem like small change but it makes a big difference.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

BOB1.gif

Now THAT’S what I am talking about when I say we need a keeper who comes for the ball. Danger snuffed out 9 times in 10 but with the one potential ricket when he might miss it. So much better than a keeper rooted to his line, and we’ve had too many of those. Genuinely excited about Sanchez and hoping he is the real deal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

BOB1.gif

I am pleased this gif was posted, as I wasn’t able to watch the match live. I saw lots of tweets, comments and posts about it, so looked forward to the ‘extended highlights’ on the club site.
A measly 10 minutes which includes the teams walking out onto the pitch etc, and this wasn’t included.

Come on Albion. The extended highlights used to be 20 odd minutes long.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

BOB1.gif
Great skill.

( Bad) Luck is when Man Utd score in the 9th minute of ( too much ) Added Time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The only significant change I have seen is the Ryan/Sanchez swap. I think that it had been debated on here about the fact that Ryan stayed on his line too much and didn't come for crosses. However, I remember Stockdale being the same and there was this view for a long while of leave it to Dunk, Duffy and co and it seemed to be a continuation of that.

However, I thought we would look to sign a keeper and was stunned when Sanchez came from nowhere (he wasn't even a regular on the bench remember). I think the fact that he comes off the line has made a significant change to the way we defend and contributed hugely to our new found defensive confidence. Maybe the switch would have happened earlier if Sanchez had more experience and he's still only 23, very young for a keeper, so don't be surprised if he has a few howlers in him.

Other than that, I think the biggest difference is simple confidence and belief. As for us attacking with more speed and urgency, I'll wait until Burnley put 10 behind the ball and we have to play through that before I'll be convinced. I think that Leeds, Spurs, City and Liverpool wanting to play football helps our style. I don't think we were so impressive against Blackpool, Fulham and Newport.

So I'm not sure that outside of Sanchez and confidence much has changed at all. But, I still have no explanation why we had so few points over the first half of the season :annoyed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports