Thumbs Up?
Thumbs Up Received5,934
Thumbs Up Given3
General Information

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Just thought you'd like another look at Sanchez getting very lucky late in the second half ..............................

BOB1.gif

Oh ffs take it out of context why don't you. I did not say that Sanchez was crap, all I said was he got lucky, which he did. Had the ball he didn't clear properly not deflected straight to a Brighton player it would have left Liverpool with an open goal. My point was it was good to see the luck going the other way for a change. I have been hoping for Ryan to be replaced for the last two seasons, Sanchez has me much more confident that we wont ship easy goals.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm not much bothered by whether I agreed with an opinion that anybody else held in the past. Suffice to say I never got that impression from the games I saw.

I'm firmly in the "post match interviews are a complete waste of everybody's time" camp, if anybody wants to start a poll on that.

Nice

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Mate that is because Vagabond is the biggest see you next Tuesday on this board as a mod can you just ban him and let him go back to his day job as Mr Logic from Viz
Pretty certain that asking for a poster to be banned is against one of NSC's golden rules ?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Skipping back a few weeks before our marvellous upturn in results, do you honestly think we weren’t on a poor run with bad results? To clarify, I’m not asking were we still playing nice football but not having any luck, that’s a separate discussion, but to try and suggest we weren’t on a terrible run? Surely not. I won’t congest the post with all the abysmal stats as everyone knows what they are/were.

December wasn't great, think we had 3 draws and 3 losses?
But that was almost directly after Beating Villa and Drawing with Liverpool.
I really don't think it deserves a" Potter out" campaign.

But then again I wasn't ever Hughton out, even after the Bournemouth, Cardiff, Newcastle games.
Now that was a bad run of results!

My dislike of much of the Potter out Posters is that it tends to be very knee-jerk after a bad result (not performance)
It also tends to assume we should be beating #teamslike
Both viewpoints are reactionary and really don't bear up to much scrutiny in my opinion.

Take a look at the ire at our Home draws with Fulham and Sheffield United.
In reality both teams have pretty good defences, don't tend to lose by many when they do lose.
Fulham in particular were in very good form coming into that game.

We battered them both, and they withheld. It happens (particularly when you don't have a top striker)
We got 2 draws and deserved more, and yet the reaction on here (by some) was as if we'd lost to Pompey.
Fair enough if we'd lost to any of the bottom 3 this season. But we haven't. We haven't lost ground to any of our fellow strugglers, when playing against them. Not Once!

My constant reference to the tracker, is because although we have dropped 6 home pts against teams we should be beating, we have made all of them back (and more at this point) by winning against teams we shouldn't.
That is a good sign.

Focussing on our Home Win record only is not a true reflection of where we are as a club.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
December wasn't great, think we had 3 draws and 3 losses?
But that was almost directly after Beating Villa and Drawing with Liverpool.
I really don't think it deserves a" Potter out" campaign.

But then again I wasn't ever Hughton out, even after the Bournemouth, Cardiff, Newcastle games.
Now that was a bad run of results!

My dislike of much of the Potter out Posters is that it tends to be very knee-jerk after a bad result (not performance)
It also tends to assume we should be beating #teamslike
Both viewpoints are reactionary and really don't bear up to much scrutiny in my opinion.

Take a look at the ire at our Home draws with Fulham and Sheffield United.
In reality both teams have pretty good defences, don't tend to lose by many when they do lose.
Fulham in particular were in very good form coming into that game.

We battered them both, and they withheld. It happens (particularly when you don't have a top striker)
We got 2 draws and deserved more, and yet the reaction on here (by some) was as if we'd lost to Pompey.
Fair enough if we'd lost to any of the bottom 3 this season. But we haven't. We haven't lost ground to any of our fellow strugglers, when playing against them. Not Once!

My constant reference to the tracker, is because although we have dropped 6 home pts against teams we should be beating, we have made all of them back (and more at this point) by winning against teams we shouldn't.
That is a good sign.

Focussing on our Home Win record only is not a true reflection of where we are as a club.

I agree with many of your points, but I think many people were looking at a bigger picture rather than compartmentalising the form as you have done. Before the Leeds win we’d won something like 7 games in 43 league matches. Whichever way you look at it, that’s quite an alarming statistic. Whilst not being a screaming for the manager’s head type of person I can fully appreciate why people were wanting a change. Fortunately Potter has made some big calls, stuck to his principles and now we’re reaping the rewards which we should all be absolutely delighted with.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I agree with many of your points, but I think many people were looking at a bigger picture rather than compartmentalising the form as you have done. Before the Leeds win we’d won something like 7 games in 43 league matches. Whichever way you look at it, that’s quite an alarming statistic. Whilst not being a screaming for the manager’s head type of person I can fully appreciate why people were wanting a change. Fortunately Potter has made some big calls, stuck to his principles and now we’re reaping the rewards which we should all be absolutely delighted with.

Whichever way you slice it (or compatmentalize it) we have never been in the bottom 3.
Not sure which bigger picture you are referring too. The one I see is incredibly healthy, even when you fail to win at home to Fulham.

I wasn't for a change when Hughton's style of play was at his worst.
I certainly won't see it when we're playing the best football I've ever seen us play.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Whichever way you slice it (or compatmentalize it) we have never been in the bottom 3.
Not sure which bigger picture you are referring too. The one I see is incredibly healthy, even when you fail to win at home to Fulham.

I wasn't for a change when Hughton's style of play was at his worst.
I certainly won't see it when we're playing the best football I've ever seen us play.

Specifically the 7 wins in 43 games.
I appreciate the far superior style of football etc, but football is a results business, we weren’t getting them.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Specifically the 7 wins in 43 games.
I appreciate the far superior style of football etc, but football is a results business, we weren’t getting them.

I'm sorry but that's a stat, not the bigger picture.

The bigger picture is/was:

• Not one single day in the bottom three.
  • A young talented improving squad
  • A manager capable of adapting tactics and formations to meet the demands of the league
  • A team capable of going toe toe with the best teams in the league
  • Arguably the best senior manament/infrastructure set up outside the top 6

For many the idea of relegation is too cataclysmic event, that they are unable to see the real big picture and mistake it with the risk to Premier League survival.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
If you did look at the tracker, we were -2 and without a home win. We also were soft at set pieces and over-playing up top. I can see and to some extent agreed with the alarm. I think it was more on a knife edge than some of the Potter In crowd (of which I am one) would have us all believe for many fans. At that stage all there was was belief that results would change rather than any solid evidence

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

• A manager capable of adapting tactics and formations to meet the demands of the league

For many the idea of relegation is too cataclysmic event, that they are unable to see the real big picture and mistake it with the risk to Premier League survival.
Obviously we don’t share the same viewpoint. I appreciate you keep pointing towards the ‘never in the bottom 3’
line but we were getting closer and closer, Fulham’s form had picked up and our position was looking a little worrisome. We couldn’t buy a home win for love nor money. Again, football is primarily about winning games, something we were seriously struggling to do.
Financially, relegation would be ****ing disastrous for Bloom, and as has been said many times before, many teams far bigger than Brighton have been relegated and have never returned to the Premier League. It’s all well and good planning for the future but the present should not be overlooked.
If you absolutely refuse to acknowledge why many people were getting jittery then this discussion will run and run.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Obviously we don’t share the same viewpoint. I appreciate you keep pointing towards the ‘never in the bottom 3’
line but we were getting closer and closer, Fulham’s form had picked up and our position was looking a little worrisome. We couldn’t buy a home win for love nor money. Again, football is primarily about winning games, something we were seriously struggling to do.
Financially, relegation would be ****ing disastrous for Bloom, and as has been said many times before, many teams far bigger than Brighton have been relegated and have never returned to the Premier League. It’s all well and good planning for the future but the present should not be overlooked.
If you absolutely refuse to acknowledge why many people were getting jittery then this discussion will run and run.

Wasn't the reason that people were getting jittery because we weren't getting the points ? I thought that most people were happy or very happy with the football we were playing but not the results (I know I was).

Obviously there was loads of talk about why we would dominate a game, miss numerous chances and get mugged with one mistake or two, which seemed to be happening all the time.

As I said before, I believe the only significant change has been Sanchez, and although it has worked out brilliantly, introducing a 23 year old Keeper who wasn't even making the bench had to be a huge risk, and may explain why the change didn't happen earlier. It's certainly made the defence far more solid (and just hoping Solly's absence doesn't effect that as he's been superb).

Other than that, the only significant change I can see is in confidence. Apart from these two things, I don't think there has been any significant change. I can imagine Graham 'Tinkerman' Potter getting a little more stick for switching Solly to the right and bringing in BDB if the result had been different Wednesday :wink:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Well said.

A lot of it does come down to short term perspective vs long term.

We’re very fortunate to have an owner who is long term. If he were a short term knee jerk owner who listened to a minority of disgruntled fans he would have sacked GP probably at the turn of the year. I guess to replace with Eddie Howe or Big Sam (if he only thought short term).

We’re lucky he’s not like that.

Both sides have a valid perspective. What I can’t understand is those who ignore any other positive signs beyond short term results. You’ve summed it up very well in your post. I’d only add to that the football we’ve played under GP is some of the best I’ve seen Albion play in my life. When you think back to our Hughton days, the fact we can dominate games in the PL consistently says it all as to how far we’ve improved.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Vagabond takes pleasure abusing NSC members who mention we need to sign a quality striker, he takes great pleasure telling the good folk on here they are entitled and spoilt for wanting the glaringly obvious missing part of the jigsaw.

I’m wondering if he would have the balls to say the same to Stevie Sidwell who made the exact same comment on BT sport ???

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Vagabond takes pleasure abusing NSC members who mention we need to sign a quality striker, he takes great pleasure telling the good folk on here they are entitled and spoilt for wanting the glaringly obvious missing part of the jigsaw.

I’m wondering if he would have the balls to say the same to Stevie Sidwell who made the exact same comment on BT sport ???

Well aside from the fact I don’t do personal insults, I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. Because I also think recruitment have failed in bringing us a quality striker.

I said as much during the Nunez threads in close season, and am on record as saying Welbeck isn’t the answer.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Vagabond takes pleasure abusing NSC members who mention we need a quality striker, he takes great pleasure telling the good folk on here they are entitled and spoilt for wanting the glaringly obvious missing part of the jigsaw.

I don't think anyone disagrees that more clinical forwards would help. Trouble is, I don't see us going out and buying one for over £25m or paying the wages for a freebie Elite. I think this is our lot unless we can tempt an up and coming talent from outside of the big leagues.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
If you did look at the tracker, we were -2 and without a home win. We also were soft at set pieces and over-playing up top. I can see and to some extent agreed with the alarm. I think it was more on a knife edge than some of the Potter In crowd (of which I am one) would have us all believe for many fans. At that stage all there was was belief that results would change rather than any solid evidence

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

100% agree. I find it interesting that the one season Brighton ended up with a points average below 1 per game Hughton was sacked. Throughout 2020 we had a points average below 1 per game. I think Bloom has that faith in him that many of the Potter in fans had, BUT if he couldn't turn it around there would have come a point before we were relegated that he would have pulled the trigger.

Anybody who think Bloom doesn't think its important we stay in this league is kidding themselves.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think anyone disagrees that more clinical forwards would help. Trouble is, I don't see us going out and buying one for over £25m or paying the wages for a freebie Elite. I think this is our lot unless we can tempt an up and coming talent from outside of the big leagues.

Agree that we will not sign a 'big name' striker. Neal Maupay (age 24) will continue to improve as will Connolly (21), Zequiri (21) and I think we should simply expect more of the same. It's the Brighton way (or it is now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here