Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An appeal to the cyclists among you

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I commute in London and have rear and front lights that flash irregularly. I read somewhere that in cities, amongst all the light pollution everywhere, a steady light could get lost. You're more likely to see a flashing light. Made sense to me.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
With respect Mr Wrong Erection, suck a fart out of my arse, Shows you know **** all about me, I'm a massive fan of the cycle lane, less time I spend on the road the better, you're thinking of someone else xx

Oh dear, you do yourself no favours coming across as a 'I know best cyclist'
You will always come off second best to a bloke/LADY in a car/van/ten ton truck.
You and Stat deserve each other.
Both of you have a paranoia against anyone who doesn't agree with your views.
I would point out that I don't give a feck what you think coz I have four wheels and you don't-----Plus I have a HUGE sense of humour that you have somehow missed:)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
With respect Mr Wrong Erection, suck a fart out of my arse, Shows you know **** all about me, I'm a massive fan of the cycle lane, less time I spend on the road the better, you're thinking of someone else xx
I tar you all with the same brush
[emoji8]

You will always come off second best to a bloke/LADY in a car/van/ten ton truck.
I would point out that I don't give a feck what you think coz I have four wheels and you don't-----Plus I have a HUGE sense of humour that you have somehow missed:)

No wonder you're avatar features a tin hat. For the record me and WD share a beautiful friendship, and if you read all of the posts you'd learn that a) I'm a driver (and some times even a pedestrian) and b) rarely use roads as my 15 mile route to work takes in plenty of legal off road opportunities. and c) when I'm on the road I'm very respectful of drivers (as I am one) and I stop at red lights. I think if I had a paranoia against anyone that doesn't agree with my views I'd probably sign off with "you know I'm right"

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
No wonder you're avatar features a tin hat. For the record me and WD share a beautiful friendship, and if you read all of the posts you'd learn that a) I'm a driver (and some times even a pedestrian) and b) rarely use roads as my 15 mile route to work takes in plenty of legal off road opportunities. and c) when I'm on the road I'm very respectful of drivers (as I am one) and I stop at red lights. I think if I had a paranoia against anyone that doesn't agree with my views I'd probably sign off with "you know I'm right"

Wrong Direction is my son-------WHOOPS:)

You aren't gay are you coz I'm a bit worried about the Wrong-un:safeway:

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Moving thread back onto lights.

Driving up Sutherland road the other night I very nearly didn't see a lady cyclist dressed in black. It was raining and miserable and dark but it still shocked me seeing her so late as I do make extra effort not to kill vulnerable road users with my van.
Having now slowed to a crawl behind her I realised she did have a flashing rear light, only it was stuck on her head. I hadn't registered it at all. My best guess is this was partly because we are all so used to seeing lights much closer to the ground, though I can see how a non-driver would not consider this and think the higher the better.
So to continue the ops theme. Cyclists, please get some lights, and if you have only one rear light stick it on the back of your bike not your noggin.

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
being a cycling and motorist, I see both sides.. I have a flashing front and back lights and have recently invested in a front/back flashing helmet light. I also have a reflective cover for my rucksack.

When driving it amazes me some cyclists think a tiny little rear light and dark clothing meets the legal minimum to be on the road at night....many need to wake up that, as many have said previously, it is all about being seen....your life depends on it!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

And yet when you miss other peoples humour they are mentally ill.

Maybe pops jnr might listen to you if you told him to change the freakin record.

On NSC it's easier to debate whether an asylum seeker should have his sex change operation, performed by Princess Diana, on the NHS while claiming benefits, than it is to debate anything bicycle.
Because the same mongs keep crashing in spewing exactly the bile the moment they see anything bicycle related.

I love to be challenged, I'm more than happy to point at my own failings, talk about possible improvements.
I'm usually the person defending drivers against lunatic cyclists who think they own the road.

Sadly though decent debate is all but impossible on NSC.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
And yet when you miss other peoples humour they are mentally ill.

Maybe pops jnr might listen to you if you told him to change the freakin record.

On NSC it's easier to debate whether an asylum seeker should have his sex change operation, performed by Princess Diana, on the NHS while claiming benefits, than it is to debate anything bicycle.
Because the same mongs keep crashing in spewing exactly the bile the moment they see anything bicycle related.

I love to be challenged, I'm more than happy to point at my own failings, talk about possible improvements.
I'm usually the person defending drivers against lunatic cyclists who think they own the road.

Sadly though decent debate is all but impossible on NSC.
You're right on the last point at least
[emoji468] [emoji598] [emoji597] [emoji609] [emoji604] [emoji603] [emoji594] [emoji592] [emoji600] [emoji595]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It doesn't matter.
We could be lit up like Oxford Street but that won't stop selfish fat men in their metal death boxes ploughing into innocent cyclists.
Just because they want to be 20 seconds up the road, while speeding, texting, eating a sandwich and driving through red lights.

this rant rather loses the arguement as there are plenty of cyclists who rather force their way past a vehicle to save a few seconds, or avoid having to stop peddling. case in point last week, i watch as ayoung chap decided the TWO vans indicating to turn left where joking as he cut up the inside, and as the first one turned, instead of stopping he cut across the front of the second. another, most amusing (as he wasnt hurt) incident was watching a chap brake sharply and endo into a big heap, having ignored a redlight and pedestrians crossing, only to realise the red light meant a green for cars to cross his path.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
this rant rather loses the arguement as there are plenty of cyclists who rather force their way past a vehicle to save a few seconds, or avoid having to stop peddling. case in point last week, i watch as ayoung chap decided the TWO vans indicating to turn left where joking as he cut up the inside, and as the first one turned, instead of stopping he cut across the front of the second. another, most amusing (as he wasnt hurt) incident was watching a chap brake sharply and endo into a big heap, having ignored a redlight and pedestrians crossing, only to realise the red light meant a green for cars to cross his path.

It wasn't a rant.

As I explained later on in that post, it was just a devise to tick all the boxes of tired and boring NSC cliches that get puked up the moment a bicycle is mentioned.

With 'cyclist jumps red light' I believe we now have a full house, and the thread can be closed.

I had your signature in mind when writing post #53.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The road between Newhaven and Lewes ( C7) has bushes and trees either side, I often see cyclists wearing all black along this road, I've even seen one man wearing camouflage :ohmy: pretty hard to see them on a dull day.

I'm not anti cyclist at all but I do think some sort of hi- viz jacket should be worn, especially on country roads like the C7.
Hi-viz clothing is worn by all construction workers on sites now.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The road between Newhaven and Lewes ( C7) has bushes and trees either side, I often see cyclists wearing all black along this road, I've even seen one man wearing camouflage :ohmy: pretty hard to see them on a dull day.

I'm not anti cyclist at all but I do think some sort of hi- viz jacket should be worn, especially on country roads like the C7.
Hi-viz clothing is worn by all construction workers on sites now.
I see that guy in camouflage on the C7 on the way to work in the mornings. He has a fishing rod and several large bags. Never seen him actually on the bike though, just pushing it!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I see that guy in camouflage on the C7 on the way to work in the mornings. He has a fishing rod and several large bags. Never seen him actually on the bike though, just pushing it!

That's him, I have seen him wearing a hi-viz vest over the full camouflage outfit, but I have seen him riding/ wobbling all over the road, due to him carting so much fishing gear. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw him wearing the camouflage outfit ( well I didn't nearly see him) :)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
That's him, I have seen him wearing a hi-viz vest over the full camouflage outfit, but I have seen him riding/ wobbling all over the road, due to him carting so much fishing gear. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw him wearing the camouflage outfit ( well I didn't nearly see him) :)
Sounds like he'd be better off in a boat[emoji571]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here