Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An acceptable family?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why shouldn't they be acceptable. It was bizarre that prior to this act, a couple couldn't be registered as parents. We have friends in a similar situation where only one is registered as the parent, despite the fact that two of them are bringing the child up.

(BTW, until 2006, an unmarried heterosexual couple couldn't adopt a child - one parent was the adopter and the other had to apply to the court for the same rights. Bizarre.)

It's a reminder that Labour did do some good things, scattered between the bad laws they brought in.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm all for gay people being able to have 'civil partnerships', it's between the tww individuals and affects no one else apart from them. If it makes them happy then fair play and good luck to them. But anyone on here honestly saying their life wouldn't have been made more difficult being brought up by two lesbian women is lying, I don't think it's acceptable to impose that on a child.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But anyone on here honestly saying their life wouldn't have been made more difficult being brought up by two lesbian women is lying, I don't think it's acceptable to impose that on a child.

Which just goes to show there are still bigots ! ( and that's not aimed at you ). The bigotory needs fighting not just ignored with a shrug of the shoulders because it's too difficult.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But anyone on here honestly saying their life wouldn't have been made more difficult being brought up by two lesbian women is lying, I don't think it's acceptable to impose that on a child.

But would it be OK, if we had what happened previously and, a baby conceived by artificial could only have one parent? I'm of the firm belief that it's better that a baby is brought up by two parents (although I know of many excellent one-parent families), and if those parents are male/female, male/male or female/female makes little difference.

I've mentioned before the child's birthday party I was at where three of the kids present had same-sex parents - there were also a couple of single mothers - the kids certainly didn't pick on kids with same-sex partners. I think "difficulty" is seen by adults rather than kids.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Which just goes to show there are still bigots ! ( and that's not aimed at you ). The bigotory needs fighting not just ignored with a shrug of the shoulders because it's too difficult.

Possibly. I am personally of the opinion that children need a mother and father figure and am not convinced same sex parents can deliver that balanced upbringing (seperated parents is also an issue in that area).

Regardless of my opinion I feel desperately sorry that over the next 10/15 years there will be a group of children put through the ringer at school/college etc while those attitudes are changed.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I've mentioned before the child's birthday party I was at where three of the kids present had same-sex parents - there were also a couple of single mothers - the kids certainly didn't pick on kids with same-sex partners. I think "difficulty" is seen by adults rather than kids.

You're right that until a certain age kids don't even notice (let alone discriminate against) other kids with different skin colour/parental arrangements etc but it gets to an age where kids start asking questions and at that point some can be very cruel.

Woman has baby. Baby is brought up in a supportive household.

What's to worry about?

Oh, I see. Baby grows a bit and becomes a schoolgirl. She may get bullied because she doesn't have a dad at home? Is that a rare occurrence?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Woman has baby. Baby is brought up in a supportive household.

What's to worry about?

Oh, I see. Baby grows a bit and becomes a schoolgirl. She may get bullied because she doesn't have a dad at home? Is that a rare occurrence?

No, but it's a situation that has a negative impact on the child and therefore the circumstances bringing it about need to be carefully thought through taking the issues on the child into account. Children don't suffer because they are from a single parent family but I would imagine a fellow child's reaction to a child from a same sex relationship would be more negative.

No, but it's a situation that has a negative impact on the child and therefore the circumstances bringing it about need to be carefully thought through taking the issues on the child into account. Children don't suffer because they are from a single parent family but I would imagine a fellow child's reaction to a child from a same sex relationship would be more negative.
This particular family seem to be dealing with the issues very carefully. The only negativity (if any) will come from a brigade of bigots who want to peddle the line that "it ain't natural".

If the child learns to deal with bigotry from an early age, she'll have a great start in life.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Not in the experience of the many children with same sex parents who have been through my partner's school over the past 25 years.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
I work in a school and there are at least 2 children being brought up by same sex parents. I've never seen or heard of these children suffering any form of abuse from the other kids. I don't think it's as big an issue for the child as some people would have you believe.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
The priority must be the child. Call me old fashioned, homophobic or anything you like, but I believe a child should have a male father and a female mother. No women could replace my father and no man could ever replace my mother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here