Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amsterdam by road

el punal

Did it in 2014. IIRC, no tolls. Flat, easy straight roads. You should be able to get from Calais to Amsterdam in about six hours.
Six hours! Are you going by milk float? According to AA Route Finder there are three options all around four hours. Of course you could be describing the scenic route - tulip fields, cafes selling delicious chocolate brownies, milk shakes . . . . :wink:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
There are no tolls on the stretch of French motorway between the tunnel and the Belgian border.
Every day is a school day on NSC! I didn't know that, as we've always gone southward to the Alps or Pyrenees.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Probably also worth noting is that although the official speed limit on Dutch motorways is 130km/h (except some clearly marked areas that are 120 or 100), there is (in a bid to reduce emissions) a blanket limit of 100km/h that applies nationwide from 6am to 7pm. After 7pm you can put your foot down.

The area around Amsterdam is all 100km/h permanently.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Same route but on the 10:20 through the tunnel. From Uckfield it's a long old cross country run of at least 1.5 to 2 hours so not risking an earlier train.
Where are you parking, I'm in a ParkBee off the A2, right next to a subway station. Be carefull of the ULEZ in the centre.
DUTY FREE. Well not really but pop in to one of the stores on the last E40 exit in Belgium signposted to Adinkerke. Right and then left at the roundabout whole pile of stores with toilets, cafes and belgium chocolate for Xmas. Cigarettes are cheap (if I'm permitted to say) but wine is cheaper at the tunnel duty free. Massive beer selection that will drive you crazy but not cheap. https://www.realtobacco.be/en/shops/real-tabac-co-village

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Little to add to the good advice already here, but happy to agree that Antwerp traffic is a massive BASTARD.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Thanks for advice for this, we are having a leisurely drive from the 0920 Shuttle on the Wednesday, coming back via a stop in Antwerp on the Saturday, staying on the Dutch coast at Zandvoort, 30 mins by train into Centraal.

A supplementary, can anyone recommend an EV charging location in the Ghent area that you can just pay by card for?

Disco Snr

Dec 20, 2022
Big up the Eurotunnel Wed 0920 train. Also on that and staying in Delft - 50min train ride in on Thu morning.

el punal

Three of us going on the Wednesday, starting from Southampton driving via M3, M25, M20 down to Le Shuttle for 13.20 crossing to Calais then Holland bound. We’re booked into a hotel in Utrecht, looks like a lovely old city. Easy train ride to Amsterdam, which takes about 18 minutes - and there are 104 trains a day! Eat your heart out Southern. Return on Friday. Really looking forward to it. :ascarf:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Drove around the area in the summer and tolls only seemed to be payable by lorries. Don’t forget that to drive in France you may require a Crit Air vignette sticker.
Only in the cities, like Paris, Rouen etc. The RAC website has a list, and an application form if you need one for next summer. €4.61.

Oct 3, 2023
Three of us going on the Wednesday, starting from Southampton driving via M3, M25, M20 down to Le Shuttle for 13.20 crossing to Calais then Holland bound. We’re booked into a hotel in Utrecht, looks like a lovely old city. Easy train ride to Amsterdam, which takes about 18 minutes - and there are 104 trains a day! Eat your heart out Southern. Return on Friday. Really looking forward to it. :ascarf:
Sounds a good choice, colleague who lives there says best place to head to ground from as really easy access and away from any likely trouble

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I'm on the Shuttle 9;20 on the Wednesday. Therefore with the hour ahead we will be in Calais by 11;10 so hope to be in our pre-booked car park by 3;30. Pick the tickets up from Dam Square then 🍻🍻🍻
Also worth remembering that if you get to shuttle early they will put you on the next available so giving yourself more time to get to Amsterdam.o

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Also worth remembering that if you get to shuttle early they will put you on the next available so giving yourself more time to get to Amsterdam.o
Yes indeed, but you don't know who I'm going with! I always have to tell him we're leaving an hour earlier than we need to. I've warned if he isn't ready I'm leaving him behind.

If he reads this, you know I speak sense :)

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

Good choice coming from Utrecht. It's 16 minutes with the train (and there will be a few of us going from Utrecht to Amsterdam on Wednesday and Thursday. If you need any recommendations for Utrecht let me know!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here