Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex to host Rugby World Cup Games? (merged threads)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
nnnnnnnnnooooooooooo! Hopefully they'll make those big brutes wear slippers before they lumber around our beautiful turf

:jester:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
This will be great! Massive big screen fan park thing on the seafront with bars and stuff... 3 boozy old match-days at the ground... this is going to be a right old boozathon! I think we'll get a France match as well, and possibly an Italy match too.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Yes, the article continues for people who subscribe!
Just copied this off wiki...

An article published by the Sunday Times on 3rd March 2013 suggested that 12 venues would be used. These were, Twickenham, Wembley, Cardiff, Newcastle, Manchester, Leicester, Gloucester, Brighton, Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol and Milton Keynes.

Cheers

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not sure I understand...not the maj? A stadium that has all the facilities and ground staff for rugby union and has hosted it for years miss out? Very odd

Magnificent for albion though. This is where you need to be sitting on the sides rather than behind a goal though. Any 1901 ers don't want their seats, I am your man.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Hold your horses right there: Jason Quickcrap of the Greenies has recently tweeted the following:

Jason Kitcat ‏@jasonkitcat
Just heard from Rugby World Cup organisers that list of venues in Sunday Times is incorrect. Decisions yet to be taken: due end of month.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Hold your horses right there: Jason Quickcrap of the Greenies has recently tweeted the following:

Jason Kitcat ‏@jasonkitcat
Just heard from Rugby World Cup organisers that list of venues in Sunday Times is incorrect. Decisions yet to be taken: due end of month.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Booo!!

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Brighton isn't a massive Rugby city like Hull or Bradford. However, being the only stadium on the list for an absolute mile (Reading/London being closest) i'm sure they will be able to fill it on a few occasions.
Not many people in those areas would be interested in this code though would they?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I am not sure I understand...not the maj? A stadium that has all the facilities and ground staff for rugby union and has hosted it for years miss out? Very odd

Magnificent for albion though. This is where you need to be sitting on the sides rather than behind a goal though. Any 1901 ers don't want their seats, I am your man.
exactly the reason why they would choose the amex. That and the fact it looks like a rugby ball.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
And how much is it worth to kick it between those sticks? and why are all the burly men standing behind that line?
And why do people kicking round balls around fall over, then roll over several times crying for their Mother, complaining that they're hurt when they've not been touched?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Sandy Park has been added to the long list, so Jones is obv talking bollox. If Sandy Park has been added to the long list at this stage, it will be on the short list....

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Sandy Park has been added to the long list, so Jones is obv talking bollox. If Sandy Park has been added to the long list at this stage, it will be on the short list....

I think that is a fair assumption. I see Ashton Gate is now out of contention due to planned expansion work, which may not be completed in time.

I think this is good news - Sandy Park is a decent 'proper Rugby' (not football) venue, in one of the game's heartlands. I just really, hope we get some games too. *crosses fingers*

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I think that is a fair assumption. I see Ashton Gate is now out of contention due to planned expansion work, which may not be completed in time.

I think this is good news - Sandy Park is a decent 'proper Rugby' (not football) venue, in one of the game's heartlands. I just really, hope we get some games too. *crosses fingers*

Sandy Park only holds around 10,000 though, so I presume they have imminent expansion plans. Good move to move it closer to Cornwall though, as they love their rugby down there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here