Amex to host Rugby World Cup Games? (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
fantastic news, to be honest the facilities at the Amex far superior to St Mary's and it is a great stadium for viewing rugby - a massive coup for the club to win this I think.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Just a question. Is this 100% fact or a rumour at this stage?

Well this is a welcome distraction from the 'my girlfriend won't let me jerk off' thread :cry:

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
Guessing the Times have had a tip-off from someone in the know - decision announced in few weeks time but the grounds chosen are the ones expected - rugby wise their reporting normally pretty accurate too (mind you Steven Jones must be the most anti-English reporter going!) - 3 group games, hopefully allowed to have a pint in your seat too, not far from perfect I think!

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Have to subscribe before seeing anything about the AMEX, anyone able to copy and paste the rest of the article after 'Villa Park or Coventry's Ricoh Arena' (3rd paragraph).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It will no doubt be Fiji v Canada or something like that but what the hell, I will definitely go.

Doubt it would sell out either so well done to the club for getting these additional events.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I've done a jig in the kitchen, now I'm going to have a jerk. Rugby at the Amex, what more could an Albion and Quins devotee want.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Am I missing the bit where the Amex is mentioned

ENGLAND’S Rugby World Cup in 2015 will see the sport showcased almost exclusively away from rugby stadiums, as nine of the 12 venues selected to host the tournament’s matches are football grounds.

Wembley, Old Trafford and St James’ Park have been chosen, and Gloucester’s home, Kingsholm, is the only club rugby stadium on the list. The only other recognised rugby arenas are Twickenham and the Millennium stadium. Leicester Tigers have expressed their fury that no games will take place at their 24,000-capacity Welford Road, but Leicester City’s 32,000-capacity King Power stadium will stage four games.

The official announcement of venues and matches will not be made until later in the month but the 12 venues are settled unless the Olympic stadium suddenly becomes available.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles

ENGLAND’S Rugby World Cup in 2015 will see the sport showcased almost exclusively away from rugby stadiums, as nine of the 12 venues selected to host the tournament’s matches are football grounds.

Wembley, Old Trafford and St James’ Park have been chosen, and Gloucester’s home, Kingsholm, is the only club rugby stadium on the list. The only other recognised rugby arenas are Twickenham and the Millennium stadium. Leicester Tigers have expressed their fury that no games will take place at their 24,000-capacity Welford Road, but Leicester City’s 32,000-capacity King Power stadium will stage four games.

The official announcement of venues and matches will not be made until later in the month but the 12 venues are settled unless the Olympic stadium suddenly becomes available.

Yes, the article continues for people who subscribe!
Just copied this off wiki...

An article published by the Sunday Times on 3rd March 2013 suggested that 12 venues would be used. These were, Twickenham, Wembley, Cardiff, Newcastle, Manchester, Leicester, Gloucester, Brighton, Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol and Milton Keynes.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

Yes, the full article, unless you are a subscriber.

Hoping that some nice subscriber will post the full thing.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Confirmed HERE, even though they have the capacity wrong.

Twickenham (Hosting 8 games inc. final, capacity 82,000)
Millennium Stadium (8, 74,500)
Wembley (6, 90,000)
Kingsholm (4, 16,500)
King Power Stadium (4, 32,262)
Amex Stadium (3, 27,350)
Villa Park or Ricoh Arena (3, 42,788 or 32,609)
Ashton Gate (3, 21,497)
Stadium MK (3, 22,000 planned increase to 32,000)
St James' Park (2, 52,387)
Elland Road (2, 37,697)
Old Trafford (2, 75,765)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports