Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex to get Digital Ad Boards ???

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
When I watch football on TV I find the constant movement distracting and the add always disappears just as the camera shows it, so I'm left watching for it to come round again. Still if it makes money for the club, so they don't have to increase the price of the Harveys again, then I will have to try to get used to them

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So what game did we have them for, cause we definitely had them for a game last season.

Newcastle game...

andrea-orlandi_2443680b.jpg

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I didnt go to the Newcastle game, bad fan! bit I did go to the Arsenal game, Plastic fan! and I remember seeing digital boards in person, maybe it was a league game before or after the Newscastle game then.

How odd.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I too could see the printing on the football league show on our AWAY kit. In case you hadn't noticed sky are so far up Gus's arse its beyond a joke, and if we get any home games televised on sky it will be another stick to beat us with.

I'm pretty sure they will be on the east side with the main camera gantry being on the west.

I meant for the Villarreal game (the first half anyway). Yes, Sky are anti-Brighton - yet they are actually showing 2 of our games so far this season, i dont believe we had more than 2 games shown on Sky before the end of November last season anyway - and if we beat Newport tonight and get a top team in the 2nd Round, then we may be on Sky again. Sky wont "beat you with a stick" because of the kit, they dont not pick games because of a kit, i mean that is why there is commentators.

They will certainly be on the East side, North and South is unknown.

I didnt go to the Newcastle game, bad fan! bit I did go to the Arsenal game, Plastic fan! and I remember seeing digital boards in person, maybe it was a league game before or after the Newscastle game then.

How odd.

Only had them at 1 game last season and that was Newcastle, but that game was on ITV.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
"Fans will also see the brand new LED perimeter boards in use for the first time tonight, which have been installed in front of the East Stand, North Stand and South Stand."

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
"Fans will also see the brand new LED perimeter boards in use for the first time tonight, which have been installed in front of the East Stand, North Stand and South Stand."

Well at least we have gone the whole way by having them installed then. Will be interesting to see who (other than the Capital One ads) is advertising on them and who has forked out.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I meant for the Villarreal game (the first half anyway). Yes, Sky are anti-Brighton - yet they are actually showing 2 of our games so far this season, i dont believe we had more than 2 games shown on Sky before the end of November last season anyway - and if we beat Newport tonight and get a top team in the 2nd Round, then we may be on Sky again. Sky wont "beat you with a stick" because of the kit, they dont not pick games because of a kit, i mean that is why there is commentators.

They will certainly be on the East side, North and South is unknown.

Only had them at 1 game last season and that was Newcastle, but that game was on ITV.

I know several who went to the villareal game who couldn't see the shirt printing clearly at all. Sky appear to be very pro Gus, and the commentators will most probably use the inability to distinguish our players as another stick to poke at us. My point is will these irritating things actually bring that much extra revenue in when we may be on tv 2 or 3 times (if we are lucky) at home this season? I suspect it will take a number of years to recoup £1m for the cost of them, and all the time we as fans are being asked to fork out more and more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think after a couple of games we'll forget they're even there.

I think it depends where you watch the game from. If I am pitch level they really do affect my line of vision as significant action will be level with the boards. If you're high up and looking down on play its a mild distraction.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
ADVERTISING.
The Digital Boards will bring in more money, but how? Take a look now at the perimeter and, at a guess, I expect 30 companies. Some big (Amex) and some small ('local shop'). All will pay a set 'per meter' fee depending on how long their board is. Some round numbers would be 90 metres of adverts at £100 per metre would be £9000. 'local shop' pays £100 for his one metre advert (1/90th) which would translate to one minute of full ground exposure on a digital board (90 metres or 90 minutes). Meanwhile, being full ground exposure the price will double so the £9000 goes to £18000. Of course 'local shop' hopes their minute of exposure just happens to coincide with any Albion goal. These are not in any way true figures but show how it may work. Going further, on Sky televised games 'local shop' wont get any time as the board is taken up by large companies. In the case of FA Cup games it would be the cup sponser (is it still Bud).
One other thing though is how big some boards are and why do the players not get put off by them.
Oh and finally, none of this matters to me, I'm East Upper and so will not see much as the boards will face the cameras in the West Stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here