Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex to get Digital Ad Boards ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really ? You can make SHITLOADS with these boards as your ads will been seen by millions. The club needs extra money and every top ground in the UK has them for this very reason.

If anything, we are too slow to get them.

Why would we make more money? Surely the same number of people see the ads? I guess you can run multiple ads in a single game but would this increase revenue exponentially as you suggest?

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I thought they would be distracting & annoying, but found I didn't notice them after a while.

I didnt even notice them at all, wasnt aware they were there if they were trialed at the newcastle and arsenal games. I went to both.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Why would we make more money? Surely the same number of people see the ads? I guess you can run multiple ads in a single game but would this increase revenue exponentially as you suggest?

Well since local companies wouldnt exactly be using them, the space would be sold to big companies for more money. The club is growing of course and a fair few game were shown on foreign TV last season, so your ads would also be seen abroad, as well as around the country on TV.

Of course you would make more being in the Premier League though, for that reason Id assume Palace are getting them too.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
We had them for Arsenal too.

I didnt even notice them at all, wasnt aware they were there if they were trialed at the newcastle and arsenal games. I went to both.

We didnt have them at the Arsenal game, as this KO SS of the East Stand of the Arsenal game on Fox Soccer, found on Google, shows -

snapshot20130126101804.png

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
£1m install...?

Not remotely close, it'll be on a finance deal most likely, therefore paying for itself as it goes along.

Then again, lets not miss an opportunity to have negative thoughts towards the club for everything they do.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Would it be possible to have the words to Sussex By The Sea on the boards next to the West and East Stand during the pre-match with a graphic of a ball bouncing on top of each word, to help the crowd sing at the right speed?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Not remotely close, it'll be on a finance deal most likely, therefore paying for itself as it goes along.

Then again, lets not miss an opportunity to have negative thoughts towards the club for everything they do.

On what basis are you so confident on saying not even remotely close? Paul Barber quoted me that exact figure last season when I spoke with him. Secondly, tell me more about this finance deal you're so sure about?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well since local companies wouldnt exactly be using them, the space would be sold to big companies for more money. The club is growing of course and a fair few game were shown on foreign TV last season, so your ads would also be seen abroad, as well as around the country on TV.

Of course you would make more being in the Premier League though, for that reason Id assume Palace are getting them too.

Why would a "big company" pay more money? If I was Coca Cola and was offered advertising which was previously charged at £x to Joe Bloggs Plumbing I would not expect to pay more because I'm Coca Cola.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Barber has previously stated they cost a cool £1m to install.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Really ? You can make SHITLOADS with these boards as your ads will been seen by millions. The club needs extra money and every top ground in the UK has them for this very reason.

If anything, we are too slow to get them.

You can make shitloads when a game is on tv. So far we have no he games on tv and if we do then the stupid colour scheme on the numbers on the home shirt will be another stick for sky to beat us with IMO
Also I don't want merchandise offers on screens around the pitch. I want to watch the game ffs

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Why would a "big company" pay more money? If I was Coca Cola and was offered advertising which was previously charged at £x to Joe Bloggs Plumbing I would not expect to pay more because I'm Coca Cola.

Well Coca-Cola wouldn't pay the same amount as KAP Peugeot would they ? The club would probably charge higher rates therefore make more money.

You can make shitloads when a game is on tv. So far we have no he games on tv and if we do then the stupid colour scheme on the numbers on the home shirt will be another stick for sky to beat us with IMO
Also I don't want merchandise offers on screens around the pitch. I want to watch the game ffs

Over half our games were on TV last season - mostly abroad I admit which is more incentive for companies. Sky don't pick games on TV depending if you can see the letters and numbers - I could see them with no problems for the league highlights.

And if your focused on watching the football or singing or whatever, then you seriously don't notice them. Those in the East would not see them the most too as they wouldn't be in front of the West.

They will be on the East side, not sure about the North and South.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Well Coca-Cola wouldn't pay the same amount as KAP Peugeot would they ? The club would probably charge higher rates therefore make more money.

Actually, I think what they do is just put up the prices of ALL of the adboards - the ones in premium places where the big companies tend to have them are horrendously expensive.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Over half our games were on TV last season - mostly abroad I admit which is more incentive for companies. Sky don't pick games on TV depending if you can see the letters and numbers - I could see them with no problems for the league highlights.

And if your focused on watching the football or singing or whatever, then you seriously don't notice them. Those in the East would not see them the most too as they wouldn't be in front of the West.

They will be on the East side, not sure about the North and South.

I too could see the printing on the football league show on our AWAY kit. In case you hadn't noticed sky are so far up Gus's arse its beyond a joke, and if we get any home games televised on sky it will be another stick to beat us with.

I'm pretty sure they will be on the east side with the main camera gantry being on the west.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
On what basis are you so confident on saying not even remotely close? Paul Barber quoted me that exact figure last season when I spoke with him. Secondly, tell me more about this finance deal you're so sure about?

Simple business practice and with FFP around, there is not a chance we'll buy it outright.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Barber has previously stated they cost a cool £1m to install.

Which says to me one of two things -

1. They've got the advertising revenue in to cover the costs (also taking into account what they would have got with static boards), so they're in a position to install them.

OR

2. They haven't got the ad revenue in, and they're taking a punt hoping companies will climb on board soon; big gamble.

I'll plump for '1' for now.

They're also good for flashing up messages that get missed on the main scoreboards.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Simple business practice and with FFP around, there is not a chance we'll buy it outright.

Well, that may or may not be the case, but although the initial outlay is large, the loss by the end of the season would be nowhere near £1m. I guess football clubs in and out are not checked on a weekly basis though eh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here