Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex to become part standing .......... ?

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
The club doesn't seem to miss many tricks when it comes to revenue these days. I imagine tape measures are being employed and calculators tapped.

The only thing is- where would it go? Having people standing behind seats sounds a bit dangerous and side by side wouldn't work due to restricted views. Would we want the entire North Stand standing?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The only thing is- where would it go? Having people standing behind seats sounds a bit dangerous and side by side wouldn't work due to restricted views. Would we want the entire North Stand standing?

Come again?

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
References to the club raising the attendance, and thus revenue, by installing safe seating areas seems a bit premature. Don't think the current demand for tickets is hugely outweighing supply is it? If we go up, now that's a different matter but can't see the club justifying the expense on the premise we are a premiership club in waiting....

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
The club doesn't seem to miss many tricks when it comes to revenue these days. I imagine tape measures are being employed and calculators tapped.

Yes, you would want the whole North stand and South stand standing. That way there would be no arguments.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
References to the club raising the attendance, and thus revenue, by installing safe seating areas seems a bit premature. Don't think the current demand for tickets is hugely outweighing supply is it? If we go up, now that's a different matter but can't see the club justifying the expense on the premise we are a premiership club in waiting....

Common sense.

One poster suggested those standing would pay extra to cover the cost of the conversion. In a parallel universe maybe but here, those standing would expect to pay less. Also, it isn't just about taking out a few rows of padded seats. The club have already stated that the concourse is designed to cater for the existing capacity as are emergency exits etc. etc.

The over-riding factor will be economics. It's all very well increasing the capacity of one area of the ground by 80% but that doesn't mean you will get 80% new supporters. More likely you will still get gaps in the North stand where those that do sit will be forced out and only replaced by fans from other areas of the stadium.

As for the suggesting that the lower east should be converted, how ill conceived is that? Are you suggesting that those that want to stand who currently in the main occupy the north stand will migrate to the side of the pitch? I also can't remember the chicken run being a great generator of atmosphere, that was always the North stand and, before the fire, the South.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
After having lots of conversations with obergruppenfuhrer perry about this, he was of the opinion that it would be. A backward step and we were innovators not followers.

You can't really see them ripping out a load of seats and lashing out on these flip seats with barriers!

Anyway we all stand anyway and need somewhere to sit down at half time
Well the club could innovate and be the first to install it when the green light is given!

But I tend to agree with you, it is a bit like building a new house and then a few months later ripping out your new kitchen. So I doubt we'll be the first, and even if this goes ahead, for us it will take months of conflict between fans and the club (and many many more threads) before sanity prevails.

I tend to think it will happen though. The current situation where the vague regulations (how many times do you have to stand up for it to be 'persistent'?) are either unevenly applied or ignored completely satisfies nobody. Despite what the authorities thought at the time of the Taylor Report people still want to stand to watch football, and either they acknowledge this or they go to the other extreme of strictly enforcing the current regulations with proper sanctions and punishments.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
keep on dreaming it aint never gonna happen

A few years ago I would have agreed with you, I thought it was just a few of us old-timers nostalgic for the 'old days' and the habit and desire would soon die out. But younger fans as well prefer to stand. Add that to the fact that the Premier League, mindful of it's 'product', is seriously worried about the lack of atmosphere and have least acknowledged the concept means that the tide of history could well be running in our favour.

Jimmy Grimble

A few years ago I would have agreed with you, I thought it was just a few of us old-timers nostalgic for the 'old days' and the habit and desire would soon die out. But younger fans as well prefer to stand. Add that to the fact that the Premier League, mindful of it's 'product', is seriously worried about the lack of atmosphere and have least acknowledged the concept means that the tide of history could well be running in our favour.

Whilst what you're saying is true, as [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] has mentioned above - there would have to be quite a bit of restructuring in terms of emergency exits and the like. Unfortunately I don't think it will happen here unless there is mass campaigning from our fans.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Why do we need rail seats? Just stand in front of your seat. It's not like you can go surging forward is it.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Why do we need rail seats? Just stand in front of your seat. It's not like you can go surging forward is it.
And that's the point. People can't move about, you're stuck in one place – I'd say it's just like, well... having a seat!

Rail seating seems the worst of all worlds – when it does have to be used as a flip-down seat it's too cramped. When used for standing, it's a pale imitation of what everybody really wants – to stand, in relative freedom.

To prevent dangerous surges, all that's needed is to have several sensibly-sized pens, that will allow total freedom of movement for a calculated maximum number of people. No rails, no seats, just safe standing. Why can't we just have that?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For all those talking about revenue, the club has said on numerous occasions that the capacity won't be increased.

The main downside therefore is that it will be a hefty expense to incur without any obvious increased return on revenue.

Aside from that, I believe the club is keeping an open mind.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The other aspects that clubs will also be wary of is the possibility of a return to the football violence. Many clubs may well wait to see how it pans out at a few 'guinea pig' clubs to see what happens.

Dandyman

In London village.
I'm sure safe standing has been discounted by the club on numerous occasions. ..

Depends - at least one very senior person has confirmed that the opposition to safe standing is more about control than safety.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I thought the same but hearing the radio this morning, it seems nailed on. The clubs want it for the revenue. The fans want it and well it makes no sense that the lower leagues have terraces but top two divisions dont. They are going to us flip down seats that allow people to stand and stop surges by the sound of it. I might yet get to moan on the East terrace again. I hope so.

On what basis do you suggest the fans want it? I certainly don't and it's the reason I don't go to away games now. This thread has only generated 50 odd posts over a weekend which suggests little real appetite for it apart from a vocal few. Since the club has already stated it wouldn't increase capacity and prices would be the lowest available, it's hard to see the appeal especially with FFP.

Plus standing is hardly family friendly or even fellow fan friendly as the away experience has shown me.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
On what basis do you suggest the fans want it? I certainly don't and it's the reason I don't go to away games now. This thread has only generated 50 odd posts over a weekend which suggests little real appetite for it apart from a vocal few. Since the club has already stated it wouldn't increase capacity and prices would be the lowest available, it's hard to see the appeal especially with FFP.

Plus standing is hardly family friendly or even fellow fan friendly as the away experience has shown me.

Just to add some balance then, I'd certainly support a return to standing

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I have no problems with standing or those that want to. There should be standing areas. Now its all ticketed you wont get overcrowding for one and people are no longer penned in as well as the world has moved on from the dark days of the 70s & 80s. Indeed standing is the thing to do with aways both when we play away and when teams visit us. Whether I personally would want to stand for every home game now I dunno. I used to be a North Stander but I quite like my WSU seat.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I'll keep my padded seat thanks, when we make the champions league and are forced to sit during the semi final against Real Madrid is ld like a nice seat and not a horrible plastic one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here