Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex Light Pollution.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The light pollution is also caused by Sussex & Brighton university, and the A27 lighting. If you turn off every light at the Amex, and stand in Stanmer Park, I doubt you’d see more than half a dozen stars.
But it’s all the fault of the club, apparently.

I don't believe you would see the light pollution created by the A27 and university from the seafront.

I think it's time to accept we are the Bad Guys.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I read somewhere that in Europe they are looking at using white light instead of yellow light rigs.

That would kill this issue stone dead

because white light doesnt reflect and travel upward? this is one small pool of light affecting a 30deg slice of the horizon, with a backdrop of thousands street lights and house lights covering another 160deg, that impacts on a few days of the year when skies are clear enough for any star gazing and the lights are on.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Over 6000 have now signed, more than the original 5000 target. I imagine the media will be asking the club some questions soon.

Crikey it must be all the forums talking about it ..... :smile:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
PHP:
because white light doesnt reflect and travel upward? this is one small pool of light affecting a 30deg slice of the horizon, with a backdrop of thousands street lights and house lights covering another 160deg, that impacts on a few days of the year when skies are clear enough for any star gazing and the lights are on.

A few years ago there was a discussion at the council about the white light emitted at the university opposite falmer when they changed the floodlights for the sports area to the more brighter white ones.

I guy I played cricket with was on the council planning and various other committees and he said they would have disallowed it if it was yellow. There was something about the white light That is more “ natural” to wildlife than the yellow lights. Paid a fortune to consultants for that gem.

It does look as though with all the replacement of street lights from yellow to white ( and actually I think the white LED lights are useless and bloody dangerous) the argument is not ours to win.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I wouldn't worry about little old BHAFC with companies like Tesla and their SpaceX satellite project.

Would those 6000 chip in on a crowdfund for us to get a retractable tarp style roof?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't believe you would see the light pollution created by the A27 and university from the seafront.

I think it's time to accept we are the Bad Guys.

You don’t normally see the Amex lights from the sea front. A few days old low cloud cover reflecting it has caused widespread condemnation for something we’ve been doing for 8 years at Falmer and started doing at Withdean.
Where were all the protestors with pitchforks then?

I saw one knowledgeable post yesterday on Facebook where a woman was convinced it had been going on for three years to keep our pitch up to Premiership standard. I told her the lights had been there for eight years.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just take a look at the photos that accompany the Argus article. That light is absurdly bright

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18188346.mysterious-orange-glow-seen-sky-brighton/

I think it IS a big deal, seeing as how there was such a fuss made about 'floodlight upward glare' at the stadium inquiry. As reported at the time by yours truly way back in 2003 (post #2 on the link below)

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?10640-Tom-Hark-s-Falmer-Reports

Much as we might not like it, the club ARE guilty of causing serious light pollution in this instance

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oddly, the creator of the petition has not engaged with the club on this issue, nor the planning nor environmental authorities (Brighton & Hove City Council, Lewes District Council, South Down National Park Authority), nor has he undertaken research to ascertain precisely what damage - short and long term - is happening as a direct result of the light pollution from the stadium.

Light pollution can have a variety of effects on the local or wider environment, and this could be causing a problem, but until some first-hand, peer-tested evidence has been made available of the actual harm caused by this, I'll not be signing.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'd find this a lot easier to get on board with if it wasn't for the presence of the university and dual carriageway right next to it. You can't complain about one in isolation IMHO.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not really. The petiition is doing the rounds on my wife's FB and she keeps reading out the names of new people from her feed signing. Most of them live on our road - from where you cannot see the Amex, light or no light. Now - maybe they are all qualified environmentalists and astronomers with degrees in one of the sciences who have taken the time to investigate the claims and their effects before signing. Or maybe they've signed it to virtue signal because Doris at number 40 has. :shrug:
[MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] has already explained that the issue is atmospheric conditions and, while I appreciate you might enjoy a good stargaze, you can't do it when it's cloudy.

I'm an amateur astronomer also, and there's no way I'd sign that.

If I want to get clear skies, I can drive. The 'glow' is only a problem on rare low cloud nights.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just take a look at the photos that accompany the Argus article. That light is absurdly bright

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18188346.mysterious-orange-glow-seen-sky-brighton/

I think it IS a big deal, seeing as how there was such a fuss made about 'floodlight upward glare' at the stadium inquiry. As reported at the time by yours truly way back in 2003 (post #2 on the link below)

Much as we might not like it, the club ARE guilty of causing serious light pollution in this instance

TBF if you have a long shutter speed on a camera it would make it look a lot worse than it is. I was lucky enough to see the northern lights last November and sometimes to the naked eye they were hard to see but even with just a six second shutter speed on a camera they were 10/20 times brighter. I have arrived back at the Amex on a coach from a long trip north quite a few times and the "glow" has never been very bright and definitely not like the photos I have seen

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

As has been pointed out before, low cloud cover, and foggy conditions magnify the brightness like a huge mirror.
Take another photo on a clear night, and it won’t be anything like the same. That doesn’t suit those who want to sensationlise it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
TBF if you have a long shutter speed on a camera it would make it look a lot worse than it is. I was lucky enough to see the northern lights last November and sometimes to the naked eye they were hard to see but even with just a six second shutter speed on a camera they were 10 times brighter. I have arrived back at the Amex on a coach from a long trip north quite a few times and the "glow" has never been very bright and definitely not like the photos I have seen

Well I've noticed it for the first time over the past week or two from Preston Park during the hours of darkness and wondered what it was. Dare say the cloud cover has accentuated the effect but even so it's bloody bright. Probably no coincidence that it's only become noticeable since the pitch got criticised on MOTD after the Villa match. Might help if they didn't needlessly water the damn thing quite so often

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Unlike most other contributors to this thread I'm not a meteorologist, or environment health officer, or pollution expert, or fully qualified in sports pitch maintenance, so my opinions aren't as important as everybody else.

But it does strike me as a little obvious:-

- Going to higher ground.
- From a darkened background
- The 'other side' of say Palace pier
- On a misty evening.
- When even cars (gawd love'em) have a halo effect around their lights.

Might induce a photograph that extenuates a point beyond reasonable grounds for concern.

But what do I know - I'm not an expert.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only it were misty.

brighton-palace-pier-illuminated-night-260nw-1595283346.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well I've noticed it for the first time over the past week or two from Preston Park during the hours of darkness and wondered what it was. Dare say the cloud cover has accentuated the effect but even so it's bloody bright. Probably no coincidence that it's only become noticeable since the pitch got criticised on MOTD after the Villa match. Might help if they didn't needlessly water the damn thing quite so often

You have just proved the point. You noticed it for the first time in the past week, when exactly the same lights on the same pitch, have been operating all the winter months, for eight years.
What’s the difference? A low cloud, foggy atmospheric condition.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A quick glance over on the scums site and they're taking great pleasure in racking the numbers up

Kills the credibility of the petition. Something I hope the club gets to highlight (no pun intended) at some point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here