Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am a bit concerned about the space reduction due to Stadium expansion, being compounded by my lockdown gut expansion.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Used to love the fact that after visiting places like QPR we could return to our luxurious comfort the following week.

Seems that pleasure has been taken away.

Grrrr.jpg

I'm sure replacing the paddedness with plasticness could enable ONE more wafer thin seat.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
This is all most strange.

My seat in W3A moved up two digits from No.18 to No.20. There is one aisle between me and the end of the stand and all that seems to have happened is that seats 16 and 17 have become effectively the empty aisle - i.e. the seat to the left of the Block A aisle is still No. 15 and the one to the right has changed from No.16 to No.18. This strikes me as adding no seats and achieving nothing. Am I missing something?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Thought the north stand improvements were more of a long term plan, or is that happening this summer?

There's more detail here. https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2056428/amex-capacity-to-be-increased
The extra seating capacity at the moment takes capacity up to 31,800 (ie: up from 30,750) and looks like its now complete with a view to increasing it to 32,500 at a future date. There doesn't seem to be a timetable yet for the other work where planning was submitted and agreed. (eg: North Stand Shelf, NE Corner lounge, External toilets/big screen, stairs to the coach park, new offices)

For those keen on what the new toilets might look like then here goes. via the Council Planning Archive.

fantoilets.png

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's extensive drawings and details supporting the club's plans to expand the stadium to 32,500 all via https://planningapps.brighton-hove.gov.uk/
(Just search for "American Express" and its in the top two results. There's about 40 or so documents, photographs, plans etc. The plans were approved in March. )

There's as far as i can see - little detail though on where or how the new seats have been found. It just describes it as - ‘filling in’ of existing gaps within the stands "

The other substantial change proposed is a doubling of cycling spaces "Existing facilities provide 32 covered Sheffield stand which cater for 64 bicycles. These proposals
would replace these facilities with two tier stands with a capacity for 140 bicycles. "

Another quick fact - the club have projected that the extra stadium visits mode of transport will be >>
* Bicycle – 6 fans
• Motorcycle – 7 fans
• Walking – 138 fans
• Bus – 100 fans
• Coach – 316 fans
• Park and Ride – 332 fans
• Rail – 851 fans

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There's more detail here. https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2056428/amex-capacity-to-be-increased
The extra seating capacity at the moment takes capacity up to 31,800 (ie: up from 30,750) and looks like its now complete with a view to increasing it to 32,500 at a future date. There doesn't seem to be a timetable yet for the other work where planning was submitted and agreed. (eg: North Stand Shelf, NE Corner lounge, External toilets/big screen, stairs to the coach park, new offices)

For those keen on what the new toilets might look like then here goes. via the Council Planning Archive.

View attachment 137095

I’m assuming the new 700 seats are mostly 1901 and that they won’t be put in until there is demand? The club are clearly trying to sell these potential 1901 seats but I assume the interest is low due to the global pandemic.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I’m assuming the new 700 seats are mostly 1901 and that they won’t be put in until there is demand? The club are clearly trying to sell these potential 1901 seats but I assume the interest is low due to the global pandemic.

I think - apart from the "filling in" of seats - the other works are 1901 type seating . 2 new lounges are planned >>

"the erection of new seating and a new fan lounge in the north east
corner of the Stadium (matching the south east corner)"

"the erection of new seating above the north stand which will be
served by the newly created fan lounge to the North Stand Second
Floor"

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Beginning to wonder if l'm going to recognise the old place come August when we are all allowed back.

Hope my seat remeembers me, some serious rebonding will need to be done.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Most seat numbers have changed, mainly because they wanted a different numbering system.

North Stand and North East corner work was supposed to happen last year, but didn’t because of the plandemic. Won’t be happening this year either.

Plenty of rows have definitely had 2 seats added to them. You can check the website now, there are rows with 30 seats in the East Stand. Like many on here, I didn’t think that was allowed. Looking at some pictures, I does look better though. Maybe they were allowed to add more seats due to egress time.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My seat number went from 510 to 34 which hasn't really given me much of a clue at all!

Good God! l could believe that it may have gone up a little bit to accomodate a few extra seats, but not by 476!

I don't know what part of the ground your seat is in, but mine in West Lower, (W1G), has kept the same number.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Most seat numbers have changed, mainly because they wanted a different numbering system.

North Stand and North East corner work was supposed to happen last year, but didn’t because of the plandemic. Won’t be happening this year either.

Plenty of rows have definitely had 2 seats added to them. You can check the website now, there are rows with 30 seats in the East Stand. Like many on here, I didn’t think that was allowed. Looking at some pictures, I does look better though. Maybe they were allowed to add more seats due to egress time.

I didn't think it would be allowed in a new build either. However I noticed the other day that Derby's stadium, which I'd also class as new, and covered by the Green Guide has more than 28 seats in some rows. I suppose the clue is in the "Guide" part of Green Guide and there's some leeway if the stands can still be evacuated quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here