Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
Indeed. Two theories on the capacity.

Theory 1: Capacity is 31,900ish with all work complete. All done. Fini!

Theory 2: All extra seats have been added to the existing structure; capacity now at 31,900ish.

But, north stand shelf & NE Box yet to be built along with 400-600 extra seats taking capacity up to 32,500 in line with planning application.

Hoping it’s the second :amex:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Indeed. Two theories on the capacity.

Theory 1: Capacity is 31,900ish with all work complete. All done. Fini!

Theory 2: All extra seats have been added to the existing structure; capacity now at 31,900ish.

But, north stand shelf & NE Box yet to be built along with 400-600 extra seats taking capacity up to 32,500 in line with planning application.

I should imagine its theory two. The additional seats without major construction could probably be completed seat by seat and covered for the televised games. The major construction, the North Stand shelf would have to be completed in close season. It's another matter if this phase ever gets started & finished this close season because of Covid and the cost effectiveness of the project.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I know one needs to plan for the future etc. etc. but, it's been very nearly a year now since we last saw a full house at the Amex, maybe we should wait until we are able to fill all the seats again before we start talking about adding even more to the place. Whenever that may be.

Just a passing thought.

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
The Amex Stadium has been expanded to 32,000
The most intriguing and unexpected revelation of the Fans’ Forum came when Barber said the capacity of the Amex has now been expanded to 32,000.

Last March, the Albion submitted a planning statement for 1,750 new seats which included cramming more fans into the existing stands, building a new suite above the North East Corner and converting offices above the North Stand into a new hospitality ‘shelf’ similar to the South Stand’s Heineken Lounge facility.

The improvements were set to cost Tony Bloom £4.31 million and be carried out over the summer before that little thing called Covid-19 got in the way. Understandably, they have hardly been mentioned since the Spring of 2020 as there have been more pressing things to worry about.

After saying that the capacity had been expanded, Barber was pressed on where exactly the additional seats had gone on. His answer was merely “everywhere”.

If the club have managed to fit an additional 1,750 seats into the existing bowl, then they could yet build above the North Stand and in the North East corner, which would further increase the capacity beyond 32,000. Exciting.

From WeAreBrighton.com

http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsop...2WkoTmjfdnPW_dWof2ZkE--fK_l081s-X3XPQzJn0YzBA

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
something like 30, 750 I seem to recall

30,750 seems to be the official capacity pre-latest extra seats. Although I don’t think we have ever had more than 30,666 seats sold for a game.

So if we're now somewhere around 32,000 that means they've managed to squeeze in something like 1250 seats? For comparison thats roughly the same as 2 blocks of the lower east stand. Impressive to get that many seats in without major construction work. Would love to see some pictures of exactly where they've been put.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'd love to know where they've been actually put as well. I've always thought you could squeeze an additional seat to the left of my ST seat in the West Upper for example.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
The first "extra seats" were in place for the Chelsea friendly at the start of the season. They were in one of the blocks in the East Lower. I was at the AMEX for a meeting a couple of weeks before, and saw the whole block empty at the time.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
At present, the legal capacity for the ground is 30,750. Last year, the club applied for planning permission for that to be raised to 32,500. As yet, that increase hasn't been approved. The Council wanted more details on the impacts of travel by various modes. Now it is just waiting for a decision.

https://planningapps.brighton-hove....ils.do?keyVal=Q6XP0EDMGNW00&activeTab=summary

As someone who has been to most of the games since lockdown, it's not that obvious as to where the seats have been put in - if they have at all. For a start, the lower tier is completely covered.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
At present, the legal capacity for the ground is 30,750. Last year, the club applied for planning permission for that to be raised to 32,500. As yet, that increase hasn't been approved. The Council wanted more details on the impacts of travel by various modes. Now it is just waiting for a decision.

https://planningapps.brighton-hove....ils.do?keyVal=Q6XP0EDMGNW00&activeTab=summary

As someone who has been to most of the games since lockdown, it's not that obvious as to where the seats have been put in - if they have at all. For a start, the lower tier is completely covered.

Although permission has been granted for the demolition and new works outside the ground and the change of use to convert the north stand office area to a fan lounge.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As someone who has been to most of the games since lockdown, it's not that obvious as to where the seats have been put in - if they have at all.

If PB says they’re in, they’re in.

This in-filling of the existing structure has always struck me as an extra seat or two on each row plus more seats at either the very front or very back of some stands. I assume the only obvious things to see will be the North Stand Shelf and North East Corner Lounge once constructed.

Also - the planning application is for capacity, not the amount of seats. The stadium could well have had over 30,750 seats available for some time; they just would have been limited to that capacity for any event.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Although permission has been granted for the demolition and new works outside the ground and the change of use to convert the north stand office area to a fan lounge.

Yes, that was a separate application.

Although permission was granted, Paul Barber told us back in August that they don't intend to act upon that approval until everyone is back.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Also - the planning application is for capacity, not the amount of seats. The stadium could well have had over 30,750 seats available for some time; they just would have been limited to that capacity for any event.

Well, yeah - that's obvious. But until such time as the local licensing / planning authority approve the new capacity, it will have to remain at the 2013 rate of 30,750.

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
Well, yeah - that's obvious. But until such time as the local licensing / planning authority approve the new capacity, it will have to remain at the 2013 rate of 30,750.

Might mean we achieve a record attendance of 30,750 tickets actually sold in the interim (COVID permitting obviously) prior to local licensing / planning authority approval allowing the sale of the seats in excess of 30,750. :amex: :amex: :amex:

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London

The most intriguing and unexpected revelation of the Fans’ Forum came when Barber said the capacity of the Amex has now been expanded to 32,000.

Last March, the Albion submitted a planning statement for 1,750 new seats which included cramming more fans into the existing stands, building a new suite above the North East Corner and converting offices above the North Stand into a new hospitality ‘shelf’ similar to the South Stand’s Heineken Lounge facility.

The improvements were set to cost Tony Bloom £4.31 million and be carried out over the summer before that little thing called Covid-19 got in the way. Understandably, they have hardly been mentioned since the Spring of 2020 as there have been more pressing things to worry about.

After saying that the capacity had been expanded, Barber was pressed on where exactly the additional seats had gone on. His answer was merely “everywhere”.

If the club have managed to fit an additional 1,750 seats into the existing bowl, then they could yet build above the North Stand and in the North East corner, which would further increase the capacity beyond 32,000. Exciting.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/thre...adium-the-amex-30-750-complete.274413/page-24

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/thre...adium-the-amex-30-750-complete.274413/page-24

Really pleased with that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
If PB says they’re in, they’re in.

This in-filling of the existing structure has always struck me as an extra seat or two on each row plus more seats at either the very front or very back of some stands. I assume the only obvious things to see will be the North Stand Shelf and North East Corner Lounge once constructed.

When the new tv lounge with the seating shelf was put in the south east corner on promotion to the Prem I don’t recall the capacity being increased? So have we had over 30750 seats for a while maybe?
And the shelf above the south? Was capacity officially increased when that was put in

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
When the new tv lounge with the seating shelf was put in the south east corner on promotion to the Prem I don’t recall the capacity being increased? So have we had over 30750 seats for a while maybe?
And the shelf above the south? Was capacity officially increased when that was put in

I think the official capacity did increase, as at some stage I think it was 30,666. I think the South East corner shelf is about 50 seats, which will be mirrored by the North East corner shelf. Add in the 300+ seats to the North Stand and that will take the capacity up to around 32,500.

The South shelf is only 100 seats, but I assume that was added to the official capacity when a lot of other seats were put in the stadium quite a few seasons ago. I think this could be increased in size and allow another 150 seats to be installed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here