Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] American mass shootings

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I mean, really, what hope do they have?

This is one of their elected representatives offering thoughts and prayers whilst also sending out Christmas cards featuring his entire family holding automatic rifles.

“We are sending our thoughts and prayers to the families of those lost. As a father of three, I am utterly heartbroken by this senseless act of violence. I am closely monitoring the situation and working with local officials,” he tweeted.

In the photo from the 2021 Ogles family Christmas card, the representative, his wife, and their three children pose in front of a Christmas tree. They’re all holding automatic rifles, except the youngest, who apparently is too young for a gun just yet and so has to hold the “Merry Christmas” sign.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I mean, really, what hope do they have?

This is one of their elected representatives offering thoughts and prayers whilst also sending out Christmas cards featuring his entire family holding automatic rifles.

“We are sending our thoughts and prayers to the families of those lost. As a father of three, I am utterly heartbroken by this senseless act of violence. I am closely monitoring the situation and working with local officials,” he tweeted.

In the photo from the 2021 Ogles family Christmas card, the representative, his wife, and their three children pose in front of a Christmas tree. They’re all holding automatic rifles, except the youngest, who apparently is too young for a gun just yet and so has to hold the “Merry Christmas” sign.
What hope has anyone got when people like this are in positions of power.

I am no Christian, but the family Christmas pose is utterly disgusting and goes against everything Christianity purports to represent.
Peace & Goodwill to all men, hang on I note they seem to omit women & Children from that message so maybe they are fair game.

Why do this, what message are you sending ?

Rep-Ady-Ogles-Family-Guns-1.png

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It sounds like it was a Trans person with a vendetta and mental health issues. Mental health issues and easy access to guns are never a good idea. I doubt anything will change.
Not your post per se, but there always seems to be a rush to blame pretty much ANYTHING other than the actual gun/person when there is a shooting. I'm sure there are LOADS of trans people with MH issues around the world who will never carry out a mass shooting. It's almost as if the availability of – and easy access to – guns might have something to do with it. I'm not even sure why them being trans is being highlighted.

Funny also, how, anecdotally, black people carrying weapons almost never have MH issues and that non-US citizens are portrayed as terrorists, too. The media/political spin is out of control and reels people in every single time.

As many on here have said, things will never change. What a messed up situation.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
What hope has anyone got when people like this are in positions of power.

I am no Christian, but the family Christmas pose is utterly disgusting and goes against everything Christianity purports to represent.
Peace & Goodwill to all men, hang on I note they seem to omit women & Children from that message so maybe they are fair game.

Why do this, what message are you sending ?

View attachment 158918

No, No, No, No, Yes.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've completely given up hope of it ever being changed. I put a rant on this same thread about how angry it gets me.

If, as a pro-gun american, you can sit there, watch the families of CHILDREN, on their knees crying over their horrific loss, then go back to your own family, your own little innocent children, and your brain doesn't even DARE register the thought of "hmmm, this isn't good. MAYBE we should just CONSIDER doing something to stop children being murdered?" then there's no hope for you.

Pathetic people. Pathetic arguments.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There's a very obvious solution to the problem. They refuse to do what they need to.

At this point it feels like most of their populations are simply accessories to all these atrocities. They dip their hands in the blood and smear "HANDS OFF OUR GUNS" on the wall.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not even sure why them being trans is being highlighted.
It's being highlighted precisely because they're trans.

It allows the gun nuts in America to say "it's not the guns, it's the trans people". It allows the lawmakers to further push their anti-trans agenda. It allows the churches to further their agendas.

It's all fuel for culture wars.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
You are right in that the racial division in the US has to be seen to be believed. I will never forget as a student coming over the border from Canada into Detroit, and the US border guards warning us to keep the car locked at all times as we drove through the city to get out west. Within 20 minutes we were in a scene out of the apocalypse, in gridlock on a four lane high road through urban decay. And incredibly, we were pretty much the only white faces we could see in the traffic jam or walking the admittedly desolate streets. It was absolutely incredible and I wouldn't have believed the stark racial segregation as the 51 year man that I am now if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

So yes, I have to agree with what you say. But there is a bizarre paradox that cannot be ignored, and that is that you don't find gun stores on every corner in white affluent neighbourhoods (the people so worried about crime), yet they are absolutely everywhere in the urban decaying areas where so many black people live in segregated America. They are the American equivalent of betting shops.
What you say in the last para there is just crazy if that's what's going on over there these days. I don't recall that from my time in the US.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy

It allows the gun nuts in America to say "it's not the guns, it's the trans people". It allows the lawmakers to further push their anti-trans agenda. It allows the churches to further their agendas.

To be fair it might also be highlighted as part of the motive in terms of personal history of the killer and hatred towards that particular school; same as they usually say "X was a shut-in who'd been bullied in school and was considered weird by his work colleagues" for other mass-shooters. I agree that it will be used to redirect focus from their gun problem though; same as they usually do with "mental illness/bullying/isolation" for the other killers but this time it's much easier given how the trans topic is still very much publicly discussed and polarizing.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yeah, I figured as much – same old, same old with gay/black/asian shooter. Anything that sets them apart in a negative way.

But when it makes it to a BBC report, you have to question it a bit. Or maybe there's no one left in the corporation to stop and think about what's being published?!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

According to the K-12 School Shooting Database resource, there have been at least 89 instances of gun violence at kindergarten through 12th-grade schools or during school activities in the US this year.”

That’s a terrible statistic, from The Guardian
I firmly believe it won't be long before someone suggests arming pre-school kids for their own protection and safety. Or maybe it's already happened – I wouldn't be surprised.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

According to the K-12 School Shooting Database resource, there have been at least 89 instances of gun violence at kindergarten through 12th-grade schools or during school activities in the US this year.”

To be fair, it's not that bad given we're in late December and the school year is over so it won't keep increasing!

Ridiculous country to allow this kind of thing to keep happening.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

To put that stat in context, today is the 87th day of the year. So that's more than one per day in 2023.

If you exclude weekends, today is the 62nd weekday of the year.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I firmly believe it won't be long before someone suggests arming pre-school kids for their own protection and safety. Or maybe it's already happened – I wouldn't be surprised.

Go to 3:00

Sacha Baron Cohen doing a spoof add with a gun nut who GENUINELY thinks this is a real advert.

Song:
Aim at the head, not the shoulder or the toes or the toes

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Umnn, it's almost April now buddy. Have you been hibernating?
Poorly executed gag! That number would be monstrous if it was late December, but it's not even the end of March yet! It's going to be in the hundreds come the end of the year. What a truly pointless and completely avoidable waste of life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here