Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ambitious summer Transfer Window.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
If players come in then some will go out . We will sell Undav 20m , Sima £15 , Webster ? Lalana will retire .

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
At the time they did look as relatively expensive flops for us, but since then and some very prudent business those losses have been more than wiped out even just via the sale of Ben White. I remember thinking at the time can we afford to make such mistakes but our signings and transfer business since then has more than made up for it. The £40m approx spent of the above mentioned now seems trivial bearing in mind the sums made in the last 3 seasons from some of our sales.
Oh indeed. I was more marvelling at the fact that the recruitment process, be that the people involved, the data, or the famous algorithms (probably a combination of all three), have been enhanced to the extent where the signing of expensive flops seemingly no longer happens. (Now watch us splurge £40m on a dud signing in the summer!)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think we’re only 3 or 4 players away from a top four squad.

Replacing Fati, Milner and Lallana will be key. Perhaps a new right back who can stay fit, a left footed centre back and definitely a left footed right winger and central midfielder.

We could spend £200m+ if we had to and not worry about FFP. But I’m predicting a net break even window this time.
I have a hunch fati will stay another year. He came injury prone and has missed a good time of the season already, but I think if we persevere, so long as we keep Pedro, I can see him becoming a pivotal part of us next year.

i think lallana will move upstairs ( into coaching) and Milner probably backup.

i don’t think we are that far off a top 5 side, but I really do think we need to look at a replacement for Dunk sooner rather than later. As great as he is, and he is, he can’t go on for ever and JVH is an incredible talent. Not really sure we have at the moment an out and out replacement. Perhaps pop over to Germany and get ourselves another big F German defender!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
No idea what we'll do in the summer - but I expect there will be changes. I was watching the 4-0 hammering of Man. United on Youtube this afternoon (the match where even Ronaldo was laughing) and I realised how much the team has changed in what, a couple of years?
Eight Brighton players on that day - yes, eight (8) - are no longer with the club! That really surprised me when I totted them up.
Sanchez, cucurella, Bissouma, Ally Mac, Caicedo, Mwepu, Trossard?

Who's the eighth? Maupay?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I would imagine after years of sales far exceeding purchases we could spend more than we sell without it meaning “getting into debt”. (Ok as we are in debt (?) to Bloom it would mean reducing the debt by less).

To be clear I’ve got nothing against our transfer strategy to date. It’s brought us unbelievable success, a level of success we couldn’t have afforded to go out and buy off the shelf (certainly not in a way that would be sustainable).

I just think that in a league with presumably the highest TV income in the world spending less than you sell isn’t that ambitious.

I don’t deny that the club is ambitious, but they are trying to achieve that ambition through clever recruitment not ambitious spending (if that makes any sense!)
"Ambitious" is too vague a word for any sensible agreement to be reached about what that entails with regards spending.

You could say Chelsea have been "ambitious" with their spending and in this sense it just means "down right stupid".

Anyway I think it is a mistake to look at money spent on transfers as in some way indicating successful transfers. This is what Chelsea plastics do on Xwitter. If we bought Messi for £4.50 and a Twix whilst Chelsea bought Mason Holgate for £100 million would that make the lovely, "ambitious" Chelsea the wiser football club?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sanchez, cucurella, Bissouma, Ally Mac, Caicedo, Mwepu, Trossard?

Who's the eighth? Maupay?
Mwepu wasn’t part of the squad the day we beat Man Utd 4-0.

6 of the starting XI have gone, Sanchez, Cucurella, Caicedo, Mac Allister, Trossard and Bissouma. Maupay came off the bench. Non playing sub Shane Duffy has also moved on and you’ll probably be able to add Steven Alzate to the list at the end of the season too.

The 5 staters that remain are March, Veltman, Welbeck, Dunk and Gross.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
"Ambitious" is too vague a word for any sensible agreement to be reached about what that entails with regards spending.

You could say Chelsea have been "ambitious" with their spending and in this sense it just means "down right stupid".

Anyway I think it is a mistake to look at money spent on transfers as in some way indicating successful transfers. This is what Chelsea plastics do on Xwitter. If we bought Messi for £4.50 and a Twix whilst Chelsea bought Mason Holgate for £100 million would that make the lovely, "ambitious" Chelsea the wiser football club?
Let’s hope we continue with smart strategic (and subtly ambitious) transfer windows then.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have a hunch fati will stay another year. He came injury prone and has missed a good time of the season already, but I think if we persevere, so long as we keep Pedro, I can see him becoming a pivotal part of us next year.

i think lallana will move upstairs ( into coaching) and Milner probably backup.

i don’t think we are that far off a top 5 side, but I really do think we need to look at a replacement for Dunk sooner rather than later. As great as he is, and he is, he can’t go on for ever and JVH is an incredible talent. Not really sure we have at the moment an out and out replacement. Perhaps pop over to Germany and get ourselves another big F German defender!
Don’t think Barcelona will want him loaned out again - they desperately need the money a sale would bring in.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I think we’re only 3 or 4 players away from ...
Come on fella, that's a proper cliché. Fans of every club can say it in some form. Meaningless and No need for it.
I’m going to be optimistic and say there’s a handful of potentially really exciting young players who’ll be in the Championship next season and would really strengthen our squad.

If Everton go down then there’s Jarred Branthwaite, James Garner & Amadou Onana.

If Forest go down then there’s Morgan Gibbs-White & Murillo

If Leeds don’t go up then there’s Crysencio Summerville, Wilfred Gnoto & Archie Gray

Then there’s players who almost certainly not going up. Morgan Whittaker (17 goals 7 assists left footed RM @ Plymouth), Jobe Bellingham @ Sunderland, Hayden Hackney @ Middlesbrough, Yaser Asprilla @ Watford, Jacob Greaves @ Hull, Jon Rowe @ Norwich etc)

Maybe it’s just recency bias but there’s a chance for next year to have an absurdly high amount of players who fit our profile in the championship. If teams do need to tighten their belt then there’s some serious rich pickings there.

If we’re in a healthy situation then this might be the chance to pick 2 or 3 top end championship players with huge resale value.
We are not Palace.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I made a similar observation from our two trips to Chelsea in the league in 2023. From April to December, only two players started both games (Ferguson & Veltman) both went off injured in April

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So the writer is linked to the club and the article has some merit (possibly). However the lack of direct quotes and the vagueness (bordering on meaningless) wording is the article throws some doubt on the situation.

To sum up: for me it doesn't really add anything to the discussion of what we will do in the summer.

To add my bit to the excellent discussion: it seems to me that there are not many players that fit our criteria and if we can't land the ones we are targeting we never just buy another similar. I feel this is why we were left a little short this season. This isn't a criticism I think it's a shrewd policy. However it does mean that our windows can be unpredictable.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
My Watford-supporting mate (who is a little bit itk via regular meets with Luther Blissett) reckons Yaser Asprilla to Brighton is on the cards.
He has some credibility in my eyes because he also says Tom Ince is shitehouse, and he was raving over Joao Pedro last season.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I remember Paul Barber saying that we(Brighton) want to keep our best players and not be a selling club in terms of players wanting to join the elite to win things. Perhaps our Tony has decided to up the game and have us seriously push for top 4

Our sensible reluctance to offer silly wages will always be the factor that holds us back from challenging the top 4 or 5.

Perhaps Tony now has enough confidence in his data to prove that the algorithm not only accurately predicts the evolution of young <£10m prospects, but can also accurately predict the blossoming of >£30m players? Like our João.

If he can confidently do what he's been doing with young bargains, but with more established talent, with a higher ceiling and from a higher price bracket, maybe we can beat the system without risking everything?

A couple of £30m signings this summer, with quality on a par with that of João Pedro, whilst keeping our current squad intact, that would certainly put us in the top 5 conversation.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I have seen this posted on both Facebook and Twitter, neither has any actual quotes or footage from Tony Bloom.

Can anyone shed any light on this or should we just file it under click bait?
I swear TB looks happier every time I see a photo of him 😁

As for the Crook puff piece, when has PBOBE ever given anyone the impression that he or Tony would ever go into negotiations with their cards face up on the table - that would be nonsense. Our development plan has always been pragmatic - if the player is right and the price is right, we buy and sell.

Buying 2 or 3 players does not seem a particularly busy transfer window to me - it is a sustainable number that we will need to replace the 1 or 2 that will go and to deepen the squad if we end up qualifying for Europe.

Apart from that no mention of how we convince not just the manager not to leave but players like Fergie, Mitoma, Pedro, Adingra, Pervis - any of whom could be wooed away by the promise of Champions League football on their current trajectories over the next 6 months, if not for the wages alone.

Sounds like business as usual to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here