Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ambitious summer Transfer Window.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Alex Crook is very close to the club - the club would have fed him this line. I'm not really sure whether we need to go utterly mad in the transfer market - the talent we have is fabulous. But Modric on a free transfer would work.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I’m going to be optimistic and say there’s a handful of potentially really exciting young players who’ll be in the Championship next season and would really strengthen our squad.

If Everton go down then there’s Jarred Branthwaite, James Garner & Amadou Onana.

If Forest go down then there’s Morgan Gibbs-White & Murillo

If Leeds don’t go up then there’s Crysencio Summerville, Wilfred Gnoto & Archie Gray

Then there’s players who almost certainly not going up. Morgan Whittaker (17 goals 7 assists left footed RM @ Plymouth), Jobe Bellingham @ Sunderland, Hayden Hackney @ Middlesbrough, Yaser Asprilla @ Watford, Jacob Greaves @ Hull, Jon Rowe @ Norwich etc)

Maybe it’s just recency bias but there’s a chance for next year to have an absurdly high amount of players who fit our profile in the championship. If teams do need to tighten their belt then there’s some serious rich pickings there.

If we’re in a healthy situation then this might be the chance to pick 2 or 3 top end championship players with huge resale value.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I’m going to be optimistic and say there’s a handful of potentially really exciting young players who’ll be in the Championship next season and would really strengthen our squad.

If Everton go down then there’s Jarred Branthwaite, James Garner & Amadou Onana.

If Leeds don’t go up then there’s Crysencio Summerville, Wilfred Gnoto & Archie Gray

Then there’s players who almost certainly not going up. Morgan Whittaker (17 goals 7 assists left footed RM @ Plymouth), Jobe Bellingham @ Sunderland, Hayden Hackney @ Middlesbrough, Yaser Asprilla @ Watford, Jacob Greaves @ Hull, Jon Rowe @ Norwich etc)

Maybe it’s just recency bias but there’s a chance for next year to have an absurdly high amount of players who fit our profile in the championship. If teams do need to tighten their belt then there’s some serious rich pickings there.

If we’re in a healthy situation then this might be the chance to pick 2 or 3 top end championship players with huge resale value.
I think Hull have another winger highly thought of as well

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
To me "ambitious transfer window" sounds like a euphemism for spending money like an idiot. I don't want that at all. Nor do I want an overally cautious, pragmatic one. A mix where we buy a couple of first team ready players, a couple of experienced players on free transfers, a bunch of teenage prodigies and maybe some star on loan from Barcelona would be perfect I reckon.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

I’d add Jack Clarke to that list as well.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Jaden Philogence, yeah he’s a great player. I didn’t include him because I thought he was only on loan from Villa but they signed him permanently apparently.
I've got to say i'm not seeing it with any of the existing PL or Leeds players you've quoted. I think the usual suspects will be sweeping most of those up.

I agree with the comment made earlier that it's quality rather than quantity we need. That said if we don't qualify for Europe this season, it will be because we had 2 months where we could barely put out a fit side, so maybe one or two "could play in an emergency players" could be what we need

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
re: ambition . Isn't spending £30m on Jaoo Pedro , Ansu Fati's loan fee / wages, 23m on 19 year old midfielder, 17m on a Brazilian defender and so on - an "ambitious transfer window" . Or is next summer going to be a really "ambitious transfer window". I really think we're all getting a bit carried away here.
But balanced against sales of about £150m it’s not that ambitious. It’s sensible reinvestment in the squad.

I’d call ambitious, spending more than you sell.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I cant think of many summers where Bloom's investment hasn't been ambitious. We often spend relatively large sums which until we offset our investments with big sales, resulted in huge operating losses.

He backed RDZ last summer and if it improves our squad and works within our budget I can't see why he wouldn't again this summer, we might just see a bit more spent now we have shown that last seasons strong finish wasn't just a fluke.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Out of all those I’d agree with the centre Mid and perhaps RB, the rest we don’t need IMO. I could see us loaning Fati for another season.
I’d really like Fati on loan another year. I think he’d flourish. But this quote from the Argus does not fill me with confidence.

The Seagulls made a big call to bring him in at a cost of £7 million in wages across ten months when they lost Julio Enciso to injury late in the summer transfer window.

At the time, chairman Tony Bloom said: “It is obviously expensive, not the sort of thing we would normally do.” Argus

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Prehaps Tony didn’t realise how much fun it is to play European football , now he has tasted it he wants more

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This summer, ambition will be more about who we can persuade to sign longer deals. If we can get Joao Pedro on a bigger and longer deal, to me, that is ambition, same with Adingra, Facu, Enciso, Hinsh.

So much depends on whether we qualify for Europe. It's much harder to justify a larger squad if we have fewer games. Let's make sure we do our best to hold on to the talent we have.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But balanced against sales of about £150m it’s not that ambitious. It’s sensible reinvestment in the squad.

I’d call ambitious, spending more than you sell.
Is ambition defined as "getting into debt" then ? I think Bloom has always been ambitious - he's subsidised the club to the tune of £500m after all but i don't think this story tells us much at all. There's certainly not enough there to suddenly imagine Bloom/Barber are going on a mad spending spree. It will, i'm sure , just be a continuation of previous windows. (worth remembering that we were close to signing Kudus and in for Dewsbury Hall in the last 2 windows anyway)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
As an aside (and with reference to the Sam Jewell affair), it is interesting to see how our recruiting has just got SO much better even in the last five years. That article mentions we paid £15m for Locadia in January 2018, and he's now remembered alongside Andone, Tau and Jahanbakhsh as an expensive flop from those days. I'm struggling to think of anybody recently in the last three years or so in that category. We've had flops, (Dahoud for example but he was a free), and players who maybe won't make the grade (Sima, perhaps), but no big-money signing where we thought "Yeah, he sounds just what we need!" who then went on to become the new Leon Best.
At the time they did look as relatively expensive flops for us, but since then and some very prudent business those losses have been more than wiped out even just via the sale of Ben White. I remember thinking at the time can we afford to make such mistakes but our signings and transfer business since then has more than made up for it. The £40m approx spent of the above mentioned now seems trivial bearing in mind the sums made in the last 3 seasons from some of our sales.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Jaden Philogence, yeah he’s a great player. I didn’t include him because I thought he was only on loan from Villa but they signed him permanently apparently.
Villa sold him for £5m - which now looks like an absolute bargain.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Is ambition defined as "getting into debt" then ? I think Bloom has always been ambitious - he's subsidised the club to the tune of £500m after all but i don't think this story tells us much at all. There's certainly not enough there to suddenly imagine Bloom/Barber are going on a mad spending spree. It will, i'm sure , just be a continuation of previous windows. (worth remembering that we were close to signing Kudus and in for Dewsbury Hall in the last 2 windows anyway)
I would imagine after years of sales far exceeding purchases we could spend more than we sell without it meaning “getting into debt”. (Ok as we are in debt (?) to Bloom it would mean reducing the debt by less).

To be clear I’ve got nothing against our transfer strategy to date. It’s brought us unbelievable success, a level of success we couldn’t have afforded to go out and buy off the shelf (certainly not in a way that would be sustainable).

I just think that in a league with presumably the highest TV income in the world spending less than you sell isn’t that ambitious.

I don’t deny that the club is ambitious, but they are trying to achieve that ambition through clever recruitment not ambitious spending (if that makes any sense!)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No idea what we'll do in the summer - but I expect there will be changes. I was watching the 4-0 hammering of Man. United on Youtube this afternoon (the match where even Ronaldo was laughing) and I realised how much the team has changed in what, a couple of years?
Eight Brighton players on that day - yes, eight (8) - are no longer with the club! That really surprised me when I totted them up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here