Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious plans for Shoreham Cement Works

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Is it not the perfect opportunity to build a SE version of The Eden Project. A real attraction that would bring hundreds of thousands of visitors to the area just to see it (unlike the i360)
A real boost to the local economy.

I thought the same when visiting the Eden project a couple of years ago. Would be great to have a rain forest on the edge of town.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is it not the perfect opportunity to build a SE version of The Eden Project. A real attraction that would bring hundreds of thousands of visitors to the area just to see it (unlike the i360)

Wise words. It's such an accessible site just off the A27, it's between the two largest towns in Sussex, the site gets plenty of sun so I think it would be perfect for an eco-site.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It's an eyesore as it is.

Is it under HDC planning authority?

For something that size, the planning authority will be SDNPA, though HDC will get their say.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Can't see it really.

The road infrastructure couldn't cope. If a stadium was considered a bad idea there mainly due to massive transport issues, something with the potential to bring in more people, more often would cause untold problems.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Chorus 1:

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear
Cause ------ is drowning, and I live by the river.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It will binned in double quick time... some historical or ecological group will complain that it is a blot or out of keeping with the historical industrial monument..... yawn...... doomed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But the arguments being put across are simply 'because that's what people do...'

My question was 'why would they do that?' As in, 'what are the grounds of their objections?', not 'why are they such bellchops?'

The fact the plan is in the National Park is not, in itself, a reason to object.

Wasn't one of the major objections to falmer that the locals thought there would be traffic gridlock [check] and the proposal that no one told anyone about for a hotel [check]. I seem to recall a huge amount of vitriol being hurled at them, when actually they were right all along. So hardly " bellchops" alan

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
An exercise in trying to cram as many 'homes' into a small area as possible. Looks great but would be a whole lot better with 100-150 family homes with gardens rather than 2200 shoe box sized apartments. However, building houses rather than blocks of flats would leave modest profits rather than astronomic profits for the developers and investors.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On, you mean BEEDING cement works!?

Never in my 45 years have I heard it referred to as Shoreham (yes I know that's what the article calls it, and what it is probably really named).

Agree. I'm sure I remember when possible sites for our new ground were being considered, one of the 'possibles' was 'Beeding cement works' (or Upper Beeding?), not 'Shoreham cement works'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On, you mean BEEDING cement works!?
Eh? I've lived in Sussex since 1965 (Lancing until 1991, then Brighton) and I've heard it referred to as 'Shoreham cement works' far, far more times than any other name. That's certainly the name I use.
We need a definitive decision on what it should be called. Then we can ridicule anyone who uses the wrong name, and make them feel like an inferior outsider.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We need a definitive decision on what it should be called. Then we can ridicule anyone who uses the wrong name, and make them feel like an inferior outsider.
Yeah. Like the fact that only newcomers call the the pier in Brighton, 'Brighton Pier'. And getting back to Shoreham for years the official name of the airport was 'Brighton Hove and Worthing Joint Municipal Airport', but everybody called it 'Shoreham Airport' - despite the fact that it's actually in Lancing! Also Shoreham Harbour is in Southwick, so the fact that the cement works located in Beeding were always known locally as 'Shoreham Cement Works' shouldn't surprise anyone; it's just makes it easier only having to remember the name of one town.

(I await some geographical nit-pocking from people with Ordnance Survey maps who might disagree with where I've drawn some of the local boundaries, I'm more making the point for effect).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
for years the official name of the airport was 'Brighton Hove and Worthing Joint Municipal Airport', but everybody called it 'Shoreham Airport' - despite the fact that it's actually in Lancing! Also Shoreham Harbour is in Southwick, so the fact that the cement works located in Beeding were always known locally as 'Shoreham Cement Works' shouldn't surprise anyone; it's just makes it easier only having to remember the name of one town.
Should we be called Shoreham FC?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here