Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious plans for Shoreham Cement Works

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Again, why...?

are you living in a box? everything is objected to by all manner of groups for the slightest of reasons. its why little gets built in this country and takes years when it does. do you not remember the Falmer delays, the nonsense with bats ffs.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good use of a brown field site rather than building on farmland or greenland.
If only the rail line hadn't been axed a station right ny the site would reduce traffic flow even more.
Maybe time for trams or monorail to he brought back on the old line

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As lovers of derelict industrial buildings and spaces I took Mrs Knocky on a surprise Xmas Day outing 4 years back. We walked from the South Downs Way and broke into the back of the site and had a brilliant nosey around. After 2 hours we spotted a security guard and Alsatian and beat a hasty retreat but had a great Christmas morning.
Would love to go to Chernobyl next Christmas.
That'll bring a warm glow to your cheeks

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry Hans, having lived in Steyning and having had to pass that monstrosity every day for years, it was always known as Shoreham cement works - may have been a local thing though. I suppose it's the same as people from Sussex always refer to the Palace pier, not Brighton.

My Dad's family were, and are, from Henfield and Steyning. It was always Beeding Cement works.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Again, why...?

Because that's what ALWAYS happens. The blue rinse busybodies and retired, tweed-clad dogwalkers with nothing better to do with their time other than object to new developments will be out in force to jam a sizable spanner in the works, you can absolutely guarantee it. Its what they do down here. Nothing is allowed to change.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If only the rail line hadn't been axed a station right ny the site would reduce traffic flow even more.

But the rail route is still there up to and beyond the cement works. It's only just north of there that the track was used for the Bramber / Beeding bypass and then housing in Steyning.

They could re-establish the spur to there, surely?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

A good idea but north of there the railway line becomes the Steyning bypass and into Henfield it has all been built over. Any new track would need to be rerouted.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Because that's what ALWAYS happens. The blue rinse busybodies and retired, tweed-clad dogwalkers with nothing better to do with their time other than object to new developments will be out in force to jam a sizable spanner in the works, you can absolutely guarantee it. Its what they do down here. Nothing is allowed to change.

You've just described The Regency Society, Falmer residents and SWEAT to a tee !

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Great, more houses and shops.....we might get some leisure facilities one day.

beorhthelm said:
sadly i expect the nation park will be the impetus for objections.

Again, why...?
The National Park planners have just approved hundreds of new houses being built on the outskirts of Lewes, despite the objections of the usual NIMBYs. There is absolutely no evidence that the South Downs National Park Authority are against new development.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You've just described The Regency Society, Falmer residents and SWEAT to a tee !

If they had their way, I swear you'd have to submit a detailed application at least 6 weeks in advance to the council for permission to build a sandcastle, including details of location, design, height, the tools used for excavation, depth of the moat, and the overall footprint size of the site. Then you'd wait the mandatory 6 weeks while the NIMBYs, BANANAs and tweed-wearers all busily submit their complaints about the environmental impact on local hermit crabs, the tide, seaweed accumulation, shadow pollution, displaced pebbles, sea access, and cuttlefish. If you managed to get that lot past the Council planning committee, there'd STILL be another 21 days before you could begin construction of your sandcastle, pending any appeals on the decision.

Standard.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Well, personally, I think it's a brilliant idea. Create jobs, create housing, additional infrastructure to accommodate the new population.. tick, tick, tick.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The National Park planners have just approved hundreds of new houses being built on the outskirts of Lewes, despite the objections of the usual NIMBYs. There is absolutely no evidence that the South Downs National Park Authority are against new development.

thats a redevelopment of an industrial site though isnt it? i meant that the national park status will be used as the starting point for objections, not that the authority will auto-object.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Errrrrm......I'm baffled that you don't get it.

You just know there will be a group of retired busy bodies gathered in some church hall close by busily making there “Say NO to Cement Works redevelopment” banners and placards.

are you living in a box? everything is objected to by all manner of groups for the slightest of reasons. its why little gets built in this country and takes years when it does. do you not remember the Falmer delays, the nonsense with bats ffs.

i can't help that you're baffled, nor am I living in a box. Meanwhile, back in the real world...

... this is the most likely attitude to the plans from the planning authority - the people who matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here