Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon sign Clarkson, Hammond and James for new 'Top Gear' show

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In groundbreaking news, the people who dont like Top Gear won't watch this new programme.

I'm Just grateful they feel obliged to tell us otherwise we wouldn't have known.

I don't like celery, by the way.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Here in the sticks of Worthing our BT broadband is very slow by modern standards - probably about 1/10th of your 50Mbps. We can always watch Netflix et al in a very high quality without interruption.

The cricket is on here right now - we have a Mac Mini connected to the TV - and it's been ticking along happily since 11am.

I've got about a 27Mbps connection and I don't have any problems at all watching Amazon or Netflix on tablets or using them and various On Demand services through my blu-ray player/sky box. Was the Cricket via Sky Go app or were you using a stream from a website like front row sports or Wiziwig or whatever the sites are now?

It's a paid-for subscription.

I think the fact that people have better service than me on lower bandwidth shows how hit-and-miss it is. Speed is almost irrelevant if the contention ratio is high. Which is going back to what I said: if someone get TV on 27Mbps and someone else can't on 50Mbps, there's a bit of a reliability problem

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
£4.5 million budget, apparently.

That's per episode...

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
that sounds a massive amount, but to give comparison what was the budget for a BBC episode.

Around £500,000 per episode. £4.5M is a ridiculous amount and I fail to believe it. Sounds like Amazon are purposly throwing numbers around to generate hype.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Including salaries?

I doubt they are employees of Amazon. I would presume they are equal shareholders in a new production company.

Their company will pay them out of the production fee.

The previous originally was a joint venture between BBC Worldwide / Bedder 6 (owned by Clarkson and the producer) before selling their shares to BBC Worldwide.

I'd imagine Hammond and May are very happy with the new deal. Probably now getting a cut of the profits. They've received a bit of criticism going with Amazon but I'd imagine financially for the 4 of them it's a no brainer.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here