Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon sign Clarkson, Hammond and James for new 'Top Gear' show

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Strange outlook? As a consumer, I am pleased to say it is going to be 100 times easier to avoid these muppets than it was before, because like North Norfolk Digital, it is a case of "out of sight, out of mind". I don't doubt it is a risky move from Amazon that could prove to be brilliant. But I'm sure Clarkson would have preferred being paid a fortune along with the exposure on main stream television. And equally, I'm confident that even if there are plenty of top gear fans out there, not many will subscribe to Amazon purely to watch them again. There will simply be another talent-free offensive "it's PC gone mad isn't it" tosspot on mainstream television soon enough to take his place.

Regardless of the risks involved It's the equivalent of giving up a test match career by following the money playing in six T20 matches in India.

I think you're showing your ignorance of modern TV services and consumer habits, grandad.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you're showing your ignorance of modern TV services and consumer habits, grandad.
Undoubtedly.

But I think you're showing your ignorance of how slow people can be to take up new technology. I wouldn't mind betting there is still a significant rump of people still grumbling that their old analogue services don't work any more.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Strange outlook? As a consumer, I am pleased to say it is going to be 100 times easier to avoid these muppets than it was before, because like North Norfolk Digital, it is a case of "out of sight, out of mind". I don't doubt it is a risky move from Amazon that could prove to be brilliant. But I'm sure Clarkson would have preferred being paid a fortune along with the exposure on main stream television. And equally, I'm confident that even if there are plenty of top gear fans out there, not many will subscribe to Amazon purely to watch them again. There will simply be another talent-free offensive "it's PC gone mad isn't it" tosspot on mainstream television soon enough to take his place.

Regardless of the risks involved It's the equivalent of giving up a test match career by following the money playing in six T20 matches in India.

OK grandad.

There's no risk to Amazon in this. They have an estimated 100m Prime subscribers worldwide.

The same way there wasn't any risk in Netflix picking up Kevin Spacey for House of Cards, nor Ricky Gervais for Special Correspondents nor partnering with Leonard DiCaprio on his upcoming series of documentaries. The world is changing.

I'm sorry to hear that you struggled to avoid BBC2 on Sunday evenings between 8 and 9 though. Sounds awful.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

It was extremely easy to avoid them before, unfortunately you're wrong with your analogy , amazon, netflix etc really are the up and coming thing , and signing the likes of clarkson will only accelerate the process, btw i wish that the hapless producer had given clarkson the hiding he well and truly deserves ,what he did was unacceptable in anybodys book , even though he can be mildly amusing at times.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The world is changing.......as long as you have top quality internet access, which many in the world do not.

I would imagine Amazon will make most of their money from this by selling it overseas to satellite and terrestrial TV networks just like the BBC did.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
OK grandad.

There's no risk to Amazon in this. They have an estimated 100m Prime subscribers worldwide.

The same way there wasn't any risk in Netflix picking up Kevin Spacey for House of Cards, nor Ricky Gervais for Special Correspondents nor partnering with Leonard DiCaprio on his upcoming series of documentaries. The world is changing.

I'm sorry to hear that you struggled to avoid BBC2 on Sunday evenings between 8 and 9 though. Sounds awful.

Sorry, but what is the matter with you?

I'm not really saying anything controversial, beyond the fact that I dislike Clarkson and his cronies, and I'm delighted he's moved to Amazon, where he will be watched by numbers measured in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

I'm not really saying anything controversial, beyond the fact that I dislike Clarkson and his cronies, and I'm delighted he's moved to Amazon, where he will be watched by numbers measured in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands.
it really , really wont be that amount, it will be far more.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Undoubtedly.

But I think you're showing your ignorance of how slow people can be to take up new technology. I wouldn't mind betting there is still a significant rump of people still grumbling that their old analogue services don't work any more.

They might grumble, but they've HAD to switch.

Amazon already has tens of millions of customers in the UK, and a huge number of Prime members.

This show will help convince them to stick a £20 dongle in the side of their TV - or, indeed, use the Amazon app that's built into their TV. That's not a big stretch.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Oh my. That's laughable, Sim.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

There's nothing the matter with me at all. You're just spouting absolute nonsense as you just have again, in bold.

I find this evolving world fascinating. I recognise that, as a weary 43-year-old that, I am still very much rooted in the past, often watching something when it's scheduled to be on a terrestrial channel. Turning to Netflix, Prime Streaming and even iPlayer, which are built into our TV, is still not what I do first.

In contrast, my 5-year-old immediately presses the magic blue button that takes him to those services.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
it really , really wont be that amount, it will be far more.
I reckon you're wrong. Netflix must be more popular than Amazon Prime at the moment, and has 44m subscribers world wide, 33m of which are in the US.

It'll be tens of thousands, tops. It might be different in a couple of years.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
THREE things will happen:

1. Neophiles/IT geeks will initially rave about what a stunning and brave move into a new technological era this is
Then 2. No-one in any significant numbers will watch it past the first couple of episodes.

Actually, it's only two.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I reckon you're wrong. Netflix must be more popular than Amazon Prime at the moment, and has 44m subscribers world wide, 33m of which are in the US.

It'll be tens of thousands, tops. It might be different in a couple of years.

As I've already said: Amazon have an estimated 80-100m Prime subscribers worldwide - half inside the US and half outside.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
THREE things will happen:

1. Neophiles/IT geeks will initially rave about what a stunning and brave move into a new technological era this is
Then 2. No-one in any significant numbers will watch it past the first couple of episodes.

Actually, it's only two.

yeah, 'cos those Amazon business people are really STOOPID, aren't they?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As I've already said: Amazon have an estimated 80-100m Prime subscribers worldwide - half inside the US and half outside.

So that's probably around 5-7m subscribers in the UK, not all of them have dongles, and not all of them have a smart TV in place. And you reckon Clarkson and co will reach hundreds of thousands of viewers immediately?

Dear oh dear.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I'm a big Clarkson/Top Gear fan, but not sure i will spend £80 on top of my Sky/BT/Boxnation/Netflix supsription just to watch it. Admittedly, i don't know much about Amazon Prime. To those that do, is this a better option than Netflix for films/box sets?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hard to imagine Top Gear afficionados signing up in their millions worldwide to Amazon Prime just to watch Clarkson and his two simpering stooges. Real money's to be made shirley, by killing time on Amazon Prime for (two years was it contractually?) til they can flog it to the worldwide telly market that used to be OWNED by Top Gear. Can't see Ginger Chris going down a storm on the revamped show.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Question for the techies: what minimum speed Internet connection would you need to watch a show properly? How much data would an hour long show use?

Reason for asking - the highest recorded Internet speed in South Africa at the moment is +- 22Mbps mobile and 30Mbps fixed line. This is in Midrand, Gauteng. There is no internet service provider in South Africa that offers unlimited downloads at fast speeds - most will be capped at between 2 and 4Mbps. I could get a 20 or 40Mbps fixed line, but my usage would be capped at 100Gb per month. How many hour long shows is that? 5?

Hence my earlier comment that the world is changing - but only if you have a top quality internet connection.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
yeah, 'cos those Amazon business people are really STOOPID, aren't they?

Well no. They have an awful lot of cash swilling about, not unlike Apple. Which means they can take all sorts of punts, such as paying a relatively large amount of money for three washed up offensive gimps to appear on their own show.

I remember watching the Frank Bruno - Mike Tyson fight (in what, 1987 or 88?) on Sky before they bought the Premier League rights in . Hardly anybody watched it, despite it being eagerly anticipated. Obviously later, it was the football in the 1990s took Sky beyond tipping point in terms of viewership. All I'm saying is that this Clarkson thing is Amazon's equivalent of that Frank Bruno fight.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But I'm sure Clarkson would have preferred being paid a fortune along with the exposure on main stream television.

World has changed and I think you are under estimating the world wide reach of both Top Gear (his old programme) and Amazon.

Amazon will make the new series and after a period of exclusivity licence it to "traditional" broadcasters worldwide.

No different from the BBC now.

Amazon made subsequent series of Ripper Street, now sold back to the BBC. Works out well for both parties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here