Am I the only person to know that Anchorman was gash

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Nobody knows what it means but it's provocative!

I could probably tell you what it means as I am certain it is directed towards myself. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you are me) I have blocked that particular user as I have grown weary of his/her inane babblings about hockey and some squishy concept referred to as "cultural bigotry," which gets levelled at anyone how dares to insult or make jokes about Australia or Australians. An appropriate counter-concept that can be introduced at this particular moment is what I refer to as "cultural idiocy," and the poster in question possesses the necessary criteria.

To whomever created the Ignore User function, my heartfelt thanks.

Now back to slagging off Australians, I mean Will Ferrell. :blush:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't say Anchorman was shit but I find it absolutely amazing as to why so many people rate it so highly. Bang average, for me, similar heights of comedy reached by, say, the Johnny English films.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn't say Anchorman was shit but I find it absolutely amazing as to why so many people rate it so highly. Bang average, for me, similar heights of comedy reached by, say, the Johnny English films.

It's so popular because it's unbelievably quotable. Almost every line in the film is at least CHUCKLESOME.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
True story. When I was backpacking around Australia many years ago, I once sat on a bus behind an Australian and a Canadian, listening to them discussing a mutual love of 'hockey'.

The conversation went something like:
Australian: We're the world champions, you know.
Canadian: Really? I thought we were the world champions...

This went on for about half an hour, without either of them realising they were talking about two completely different sports. I could have intervened, but it would have spoiled the fun...

Oh you should have!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Champ: It jumped up a notch.

Ron: It did, didn't it?

Brick: Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart.

Ron: I saw that! Brick killed a guy! Did you throw a trident?

Brick: Yeah, there were horses and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.

Ron: Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should probably find yourself a safe house or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Brick: Yeah, there were horses and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.

Ron: Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should probably find yourself a safe house or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Have to say, that's probably my all time fave dialogue of the film.

That and "It's so damn hot, Milk was a bad choice"..

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Funny you should be all over that quote, what with you telling us only last week "still, what do the English know about North American sport".

Seemingly more than your average Australian, it would seem.

What's funny is that American sports are extremely popular here.

That being due to us having provided some top class players who played in their major leagues.

Surely you'd know that if you knew about US sports?

How many Brits know who Joel Freeland is?

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place

Is that supposed to be funny? I thought it was shit too and don't remember any of it. Wont be watching number 2.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
I have yet to watch Anchorman, but isn't this the film that gave us the phrase "Stay Classy?" I see this used across many platforms, including sports. It definitely has some staying power.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What's funny is that American sports are extremely popular here.

That being due to us having provided some top class players who played in their major leagues.

Surely you'd know that if you knew about US sports?

How many Brits know who Joel Freeland is?
You do. I have no idea who Joel Freeland is. I'm guessing he's an NBA player. Mind you, you have a couple of MLB players too and I know they're opening next season at the SCG.

Do I win 5 pounds?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Is that supposed to be funny? I thought it was shit too and don't remember any of it. Wont be watching number 2.

Well considering it's a piece of dialogue as part of a wider joke scene and not an individual verbal joke, no, not really.

If you wrote down the classic scene from Only Fools and Horses "And derek falls through the open bar", it's not QUITE as funny is it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You do. I have no idea who Joel Freeland is. I'm guessing he's an NBA player. Mind you, you have a couple of MLB players too and I know they're opening next season at the SCG.

Do I win 5 pounds?

No, you gain my respect for not knowing who Joel Freeland is and being honest!

It's a shame because for an Englishman to make the NBA is a darn fine effort given the path he had to take to get there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports